You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carra - Can someone clarify?

rEddie

So was Carra actually leaking shit to the press about Benitez losing the dressing room etc... or is that bollox???

Just to preface this by saying I more or less wanted Rafa gone in the end, but undermining the manager spreading shit to your buddies in the press is unacceptable. Most definently not the Liverpool Way.

Bear in mind that Carra's best mate is Chris Bascombe, and Bascombe slaughtered Rafa every week and used the 'lost the dressing room' line in the NOTW seemingly every Sunday.

Also when he became 'a friend of the station' on talksport, they starting running the 'Rafa's lost the dressing room' stories. Collymore would even say Carragher and Gerrard want benitez out, unchallenged.

Draw your own conclusions.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carra has form for playing on his own terms. I think people are willing to believe the 'I won't play at right-back rumours' because he quite publicly left the England set-up once Wes Brown started getting in ahead of him, and he's said that he'll leave us once he starts becoming a bit-part player (conveniently when his form began to suffer).

It's paranoid to suggest that any concern over this is just brought up by Rafa's supporters because it remains an issue under Hodgson, and - if concerns are genuine - it will also remain an issue under Hodgson's successor. It's known that Carragher has huge support amongst the fan-base for being a local lad, and that he and Gerrard are very close and two of the more senior, important members of the team. So if Carragher, whose form has been on the wane for some time, has used his political power to engineer a new contract, or will continue to use it to make sure he starts every week, that's a problem irrespective of whether or not he got on with Benitez.

I love Carragher and rated him as one of the top centre-backs in the league a couple of seasons ago, as a player, at his best, he was immense, and there's no doubting he's been a tremendous player for the club. But I think there's enough in the things he's said and done, combined with his huge support amongst the fan-base, to merit discussions on how much influence he has on the team set-up. Personally I can see how he'd put a manager in a tricky spot, and would be likely to fall out for them if, for example, he found himself on the bench for a few weeks. I think it's up to a manager to come in and show some backbone and deal with that. But it probably won't happen until we have a good enough centre-back to regularly take his place.

he said in his book that he didn't feel he could play full back any more because he felt like he had been hit by a bus the day after filling in there.

He did refuse to play full back in what turned out to be a very important defeat in 2009 away to boro when skrtel had to play out there and was a bigger disaster than he is at centre back.

I think carra ended this part of the book by saying he deeply regretted this and would play wherever he was asked when needed.

He played full back for rafa on a number of occasions since then and has obviously done the same for hodgson.

Bear in mind that Carra's best mate is Chris Bascombe, and Bascombe slaughtered Rafa every week and used the 'lost the dressing room' line in the NOTW seemingly every Sunday.

Also when he became 'a friend of the station' on talksport, they starting running the 'Rafa's lost the dressing room' stories. Collymore would even say Carragher and Gerrard want benitez out, unchallenged.

Draw your own conclusions.

Carragher also said, "Lost the dressing room? I never knew a manager that had one".

An interesting and insightful statement into the complex nature of the relationships between players and managers. Alas, such ambiguity and complexity don't fit into the simplistic story-lines peddled by those we laughingly call journalists.

Carragher is hiding behind the fact that his briefings against the club were "off the record". (I consider briefings against the manager and other players to be briefings against the club, especially during a difficult patch). Even though Bascombe reads this forum religiously, I guess he will not help clear up the allegations that Carragher was the source of much of the unsubstantiated allegations Bascombe made about Rafa and certain players in the sister newspaper of the S*n. Especially his explanation that Rafa had been "sacked" because he had lost the dressing room. Bascombe would claim that to reveal his source would be contrary to the ethics of journalism. But I think Bascombe abandoned those ethics when he became Carragher's paid biographer. He writes what Carragher pays him to write.

There are others who could step forward and confirm or deny suspiscions about Carragher's activites.

I know TLW has some kind of a magazine and might also claim to be covered by journalistic ethics. But this website is not journalism. Much of the anti-Rafa and anti-specific-player propaganda in the last two seasons appeared on TLW and was carried forward virulently by a small group of propogandists on here.

Why doesn't TLW make a statement to confirm or deny that it was receiving leaks, gossip and opinion from Carragher (and possibly Gerrard)? If they were not we could put that to rest.

In light of Rafa's latest comments about certain players running off to Purslow...No smoke without....?

I think Rafas just basically said certain players were chirping in Purslows ear to influence his decision making.

Whether thats Rafas opinion or stone cold fact is debatable, either way its bound to go down like a lead balloon around here.

I think Rafas just basically said certain players were chirping in Purslows ear to influence his decision making.

Whether thats Rafas opinion or stone cold fact is debatable, either way its bound to go down like a lead balloon around here.

Rafa hasn't said anything that people don't already know.

So now we know where the ART clique were getting fed their info, crying fucking shame that alehouse talk helped get rid of the best manager we've had at the club since Kenny. Doubtless Benitez was no angel, but the sniping on here from the "in-crowd' last year was fucking more embarrasing than the footy.

So we lost a manager, gained a patsy who was the players choice??? I don't think many of the squad would have picked him, can thin of a small minority who might, and the unfortunate part is there is a lot more talent going to waste and looking to get off from liverpool now than when the fatman was in charge.

Diafuckingbolical.

From poison to patsy eh?

Rafa hasn't said anything that people don't already know.

Well I'm of the opinion that Carra and possibly Gerrard played a part in influencing Christian to oust Rafa.

Thing is, I can't prove that, nor can anyone else, and Benitez has only alluded to it cryptically. So I dont see the point in having a go at Carra or anyone else till someone positively confirms it and I doubt anyone ever will.

In fairness though, I wanted Rafa gone near the end. The only thing pisses me off is we now have Roy whos fucked his good and proper. I don't know if anyone influenced Purslow on that decision, but they fucked up big time anyway because the majority of fans knew it was the wrong appointment .

In light of Rafa's latest comments about certain players running off to Purslow...No smoke without....?

Sorry I read Rafa's comments, maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything about players running to Purslow, all I got from it was Purslow.

The rumour about player unrest appears to have come from Purslow and the sources he informs, I haven't seen that from any other quarter, certainly no objective mind has thrown it out there and Dave u's comments bear that stuff out a bit.

Where does he mention this Rafa, all I see is him blaming Purslow who in turn blames players, directors, fans, the media, the owners, everyone but himself?

Purslow did the same thing re the non appointment of Kenny, putting stories out that Kenny didn't want the job and so on.

He's a proper, PR/media fucking snake in our club slithering round trying to smear others and position himself firmly up the buttock of whoever is going to run us where he will hang on for dear life like the dried winnet he is.

Given that purslow was a season ticket holder, so in my eyes his opinion holds as much legitimacy and authority as any other match going fan, why do people suspect he would do anything that may jeopardise the success of the club?

Ego.

Never under estimate peoples capacity for self delusion, society and the business world is built upon it.

Even Hitler thought he was doing the right thing.

Some whoppers dont half put a lot of emphasis on this supposed power JC has

Roy would be gone if he wielded so much surely?

Ah come on though, theres a difference between influencing Purslow in say suggesting Roy come in and then wanting him gone.

Id say it would have been quite easy for Carra and Gerrard to have sat down with Purslow and say get Hodgson, getting rid of him is another story.

I'd hazard a bet that everybody at the club, players and management want Hodgson gone now but its not their decision. Its NESV in charge now. And they seem prepared to give Roy a few games.

Ah come on though, theres a difference between influencing Purslow in say suggesting Roy come in and then wanting him gone.

Id say it would have been quite easy for Carra and Gerrard to have sat down with Purslow and say get Hodgson, getting rid of him is another story.

I'd hazard a bet that everybody at the club, players and management want Hodgson gone now but its not their decision. Its NESV in charge now. And they seem prepared to give Roy a few games.

So they say get 'eh Chris get Roy lad' and so they interview others including Deschamps just to make it looks like they were looking elsewhere?

Behave.

I'm not denying they might of said their preference but we had others on the shortlist.

The board including Broughton picked Roy, it was Broughton who told Kenny No afterall

So they say get 'eh Chris get Roy lad' and so they interview others including Deschamps just to make it looks like they were looking elsewhere?

Behave.

I'm not denying they might of said their preference but we had others on the shortlist.

The board including Broughton picked Roy, it was Broughton who told Kenny No afterall

Of course we did! It would be reckless not to have had a short list, particularly with the England situation. But, are we seriously expected to believe that Purslow looked at the candidates on his own and came up with Roy?

If Gerrard and Carragher had of said 'no thanks' he would not be our manager! Remember the Henry Winter article last season about how Purslow had a quiet word with Rafa about how he communicates with people!

This could all be a pile of shite, however it is not beyond the realms of possibility that one player is a spoilt twat who misses a kind word and a hug, and the other is a player who is rallying against the inevitable downward trajectory and doesn't like the idea of being 3rd choice.

Behave.

Not taking sides in your argument here but I don't remember and very much doubt Kenny reccomended Roy, we know he looked at the list and put himself forward. Given he was supposed to be the one to present candidates to them for final choice and they then presented candidates to him and then overruled his judgement, clearly someone, IE Purslow, had Roy in mind all along from day one. Purslow wanted Roy before Rafa was even born, that's how much he wanted him.

Behave.

Fair point. But what if those managers actively sought the job, like Pelligrini, wouldnt they have to interview him. They couldnt just go "nah bugger off we have Roy already".

I know Deschamps might have been approached but I'd imagine they were covering all bases because it seemed for a while that Roy was waiting to see how the England job panned out. Only speculation on my part and I can't prove anything but I think Hodgson was the first choice from day one. The problem was Roy was hedging his bets between us and England.

In fairness though, I wanted Rafa gone near the end. The only thing pisses me off is we now have Roy whos fucked his good and proper. I don't know if anyone influenced Purslow on that decision.

No one on these boards will ever know for sure whether senior players had an influence over his appointment. However, one thing we should all know by now is that the club's decision-makers are in thrall to the media - case in point: Broughton's "the media seemed to agree with it [the sacking of Benitez]" email.

It wasn't just the usual agents of the propaganda machine with the Roy appointment, though: virtually every opinion piece on the matter was begging (nay demanding) that the much respected Hodgson should get big club job he so clearly deserves.

Purslow & co. paid greater heed to the back-pages than they did the advice of a club legend, and we're suffering for it now.

If Carra had refused to play at full back against 'Boro, Benitez should have dropped him and explained his reasons. I wouldn't have had a problem with that because no player is bigger than the club and should expect to do something like that and get away with it

I think it's bollocks though.