You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carra - Can someone clarify?

rEddie

In numerous threads, I've read insinuation that suggests Carra angled unfairly to get his contract, was anti-Rafa behind the scenes and has a say in team selection (player power). Is this just conjecture and mischief on the part of posters or is there something in this?

Not looking to slag Carra personally, he a club legend for me, but I am interested to hear whether there is any substance or just innuendo.

Can anyone shed any light on his?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if players think they know better than league and cl winning managers then fine but if they express it then its not on imo, i do not think carra is like that so i dont believe it. The press want us under, stories like this help brew something.

Lets stay up, get a new manager, spend a wedge and assault the league next year without europe distracting us.

He refused to play RB and his dad got drunk @ an away game and said some pretty horrible things about Benitez. Hence the rumours about not getting on.

He gave an interview where he said if he wasn't first choice at Liverpool he would leave. Some see that as blackmail others as the mark of someone who just wants to play. All depends on the colour of your tinted specs.

Just asking the question re. the contract. It's mentioned in other threads. As I say, hope its not true. What's wrong with a player being anti-Rafa? Not a lot. Most of us have had bosses that we didn't like or whose methods we didn't like - nothing to see there. That's why I hope its nothing more than this - multiplied by sensationalism. Again - I ask the questions because I have seen insinuation in other threads. I'm OOT and rather than take comments at face value, I know there are people on here a lot closer to L4 who can probably comment one way or other on a more factual basis.

Guest ShoePiss

Pretty obvious from reading his book that he didn't like Rafa but happen to believe Carragher is a professional and as such could/can put personal differences to one side.

He refused to play RB and his dad got drunk @ an away game and said some pretty horrible things about Benitez. Hence the rumours about not getting on.

He gave an interview where he said if he wasn't first choice at Liverpool he would leave. Some see that as blackmail others as the mark of someone who just wants to play. All depends on the colour of your tinted specs.

I hope this is the source. Reasonable reaction from a father, reasonable reaction from a player and human being. Sort of thing that get's distorted as it finds its way through the grapevine. This wouldn't be behaviour that bothered me or my high opinion of Carra to be honest. Thanks for this.

As a player, is he not allowed to be anti-Rafa?

What do you mean about him angling unfairly to get a contract?

EDIT: reading back over these two questions, I don't mean them to sound as harsh as they look there.

Not harsh at all mate. Perfectly reasonable. We're talking about Carra after all so fair play to you.

I keep on hearing stuff in texts and on websites saying "and Carra's dad says this, and Carras dad says that."

Imagine if his lad was at Man United and it was Ferguson who was manager.

Thats right it would never happen and thats why United are clearing up. Liverpool need a manager wholl make it clear to these players who the fucking manager is and they should be told to tell their arl fellas, any bullshit and I'll make you pay for it.

I hope this is the source. Reasonable reaction from a father, reasonable reaction from a player and human being. Sort of thing that get's distorted as it finds its way through the grapevine. This wouldn't be behaviour that bothered me or my high opinion of Carra to be honest. Thanks for this.

That's exactly the point really. Like all of us he's flawed, it's just when you magnify it through the media and internet it's amazing the kind of monstrous shadows that get cast.

I've heard similarly, and I suspect reliably (70%, maybe?), though you can never be sure given the amount of toss which flies around. It would be fair to say that Hodgson was expected to be very warm, very friendly after the cold, odd Benitez and that to put all of the blame on Purslow for hand-picking Roy would be wrong. They had to do what was necessary to tear the club away from the parasites while making sure it remained a saleable asset. After that it's a bit of a foggier picture, but I gather in the end there was too much friction and someone was more expendable than other people. Someone else was not as vocal but his preference made clear. Body language of one or two players who weren't as thrilled with the way it was handled has been oft-commented on this season.

Personally, I understand that sometimes working relationships are irrepairable and the circumstances surrounding the club really had a big part to play in how it was handled, especially from a boardroom point of view. Who is 'right' is really subjective. Shit happens, but in football - in normal circumstances, unlike our own - there 'should' be only one winner, and he is on the touchline.

They needed to sell, and no one buys a club because they think the manager will sell merchandise. The key now that we have new owners (and that the caring, sharing Hodgson experiment has failed) is that power is taken by the next boss and respected accordingly. We've had strange times at this club and I don't think we should be demonising anyone, but it's imperative that the next manager can drop or fuck off whoever he likes without question.

Edited by TheDrowningMan

In numerous threads, I've read insinuation that suggests Carra angled unfairly to get his contract, was anti-Rafa behind the scenes and has a say in team selection (player power). Is this just conjecture and mischief on the part of posters or is there something in this?

Not looking to slag Carra personally, he a club legend for me, but I am interested to hear whether there is any substance or just innuendo.

Can anyone shed any light on his?

i was training in the same gym as carra last pre season i know his brother very well, anyway got talkin about the reds when one of the lads said rafa was shit we sould get rid and carra turned round and said he cant be that shit he'd walk into any club in europe and if we get rid who could we get who's better than rafa, so i recon its bollicks.

I keep on hearing stuff in texts and on websites saying "and Carra's dad says this, and Carras dad says that."

Thats right it would never happen and thats why United are clearing up. Liverpool need a manager wholl make it clear to these players who the fucking manager is and they should be told to tell their arl fellas, any bullshit and I'll make you pay for it.

It's called player power mate and there's an example of it going on right now with Rooney and his contract. There will be - like there always is - only one winner there and he's got a purple nose, that's what comes from being the most successful manager of your era: instant respect. Personally, I don't think Carra respected Benitez but he was intelligent enough and professional enough to know he was working with a top coach. One who would improve him as a player but, ultimately, dispense with him when a better/more suitable player appears. The "cold" bastard.

Perhaps it does go on though? While I do hear you on one hand, on the other Carra has been an excellent servant to the club, so as long as he turned in the performances, why would Houllier / Rafa / whoever care what (a very passionate) parent would say? Local player, local community - how would any manager be able to separate the rumour-mill from anything legitimate? I think most top class managers would have thicker skin - and certainly as long as the player is performing.

I think Rafa tried to play games with Carra's contract extension.

Whether this was to try and put pressure on the owners/Purslow over the "football budget" or to show Carra who was in charge I don't know, but I'm sure someone else does.

It was a stupid thing to do though either way.

Carra senior should have more respect for Rafa. Benitez turned him into a world class centre back during his time at the club.

Benitez's approach was basically to constantly push players; relentlessly; to force them to get better every day. Sooner or later a player is going to reach the limit of his ability and then the pressure will start taking a toll. You can tell that and the step up from partnering with Johnson vs. Arbeloa took its toll on carragher last year; he was running around like a drunk. As a parent you can understand the reaction. Especially knowing that Benitez's modus operandi would have been to marginalize the player.

I think Rafa tried to play games with Carra's contract extension.

Whether this was to try and put pressure on the owners/Purslow over the "football budget" or to show Carra who was in charge I don't know, but I'm sure someone else does.

It was a stupid thing to do though either way.

He handled the Carragher contract the same way as Hamann's and Hyypia's, no?

I think Carra has done well to get a new contract. That should make him a one club man, which seems fitting.

I think this will be the last season where he is a regular in the first team. After this season I would imagine he will be third choice CB. He would become 'reliable backup' and can pass his considerable defensive nous on to the younger players.

As for all the gossip stuff, I don't really like it. Carra is a professional and he should (and does) act like that. If his dad has embarrassed him a little, then he should have a word. But we shouldn't crucify him. Carra is not the first person to have a dad (or other relative) be a bit too indiscreet.

I think Carra has done well to get a new contract. That should make him a one club man, which seems fitting.

I think this will be the last season where he is a regular in the first team. After this season I would imagine he will be third choice CB. He would become 'reliable backup' and can pass his considerable defensive nous on to the younger players.

As for all the gossip stuff, I don't really like it. Carra is a professional and he should (and does) act like that. If his dad has embarrassed him a little, then he should have a word. But we shouldn't crucify him. Carra is not the first person to have a dad (or other relative) be a bit too indiscreet.

Excellent points. For me, the fact that Carra is not a robot (Owen anybody?), and has a family dynamic that most of us can relate to (although on much less public level of course), only serves to underpin my respect for the guy. I for one certainly can't throw the first stone!