You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tail between the legs time...

Staniola

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the essential difference is Rafa prefers to keep possession in the defense and deep midfield, while Barca/Spain systematically work it around the front areas.

Then again, as you said, that could be a difference of quality in players. However, I remember reading about Rafa's beliefs in the Sacchi methods and one of the essential tenets was the incisive, efficient attack (immediately following a turnover) made of intelligent movement and 2-3 passes.

Which perfectly describes the best Gerrard-Torres moments (v Mancs 1-4), Sacchi-influenced Milan in Istanbul (before halftime), or Loew's Germany (v England, Argentina this past WC).

And which is not a hallmark of Spain or Barca's tikki-takka.

Don't disagree with where you are coming from but you paint him as a bit one-dimensional whereas for me he was the ultimate pragmatist. If the bus needed to be parked then he would aspire to exactly that.

The complete contrast between how we approached the Madrid home and away legs was the true measure of his philosophy IMO. Every challenge was unique and required it's own antithesis.

Don't disagree with where you are coming from but you paint him as a bit one-dimensional whereas for me he was the ultimate pragmatist. If the bus needed to be parked then he would aspire to exactly that.

The complete contrast between how we approached the Madrid home and away legs was the true measure of his philosophy IMO. Every challenge was unique and required it's own antithesis.

Very good point. Fuck. I do hope we find an adequate replacement someday.

I didnt want Rafa sacked. i believed and still believe it was wrong because we would not be able to attract anyone better or be able to trust the people making the decision to get it right. i warned that things would get much worse if rafa went and was laughed at. Still rteally baffles me how so many people thought Roy Hodgson would be a better manager than rafa Benitez when their CVs were miles apart. We are reaping what we sow because we failed to back Rafa. We stopped them from replacing him with Klinnsman before but too many were too happy to see the change this time and it has bitten us in the ass.

i admit though that i didnt think we would be in a relegation battle.

If you are replacing a manager you need to know the person that you are replacing him with is at least as good. The sacking of a manager and the hiring of a new one are intrinsically linked.

I've yet to see a club sack a manager and not hire a new one afterwards.

Therefore sacking Benitez was the wrong decision if the replacement was inferior. Sacking him was the right decision if the replacement is superior.