You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tail between the legs time...

Staniola

Why?

Please elaborate

Because he had alienated a large number of the key players, he had helped to generate a poisonous atmosphere inside and outside the club, he had constantly caused distractions to the team with his discussions about offers and interest from other clubs, his ridiculous attempts at messing with Ferguson's head, which damaged him (and us) far more than it did Ferguson, and he couldn't motivate or organise the team. We are absolutely shit this year, but we weren't much better last year. We were in a downward spiral, and short of replacing half a dozen players, including our best and most influential, it wasn't going to change.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think Rafa should have gotten another year myself, but can see why a lot of people wanted him gone. In the end, when the players go over a managers head and call for the board to get rid, his time was up.

"The players" were Carragher who led Gerrard by the nose, as he always does. No other player participated in their dirty work. Carragher did not go to the board - which would have been honourable if wrong - he leaked his complaints to the NoTW-Bascombe, TLW and others to build up pressure in the media. When approached by Purslow, who was the acting managing director, not the board, Carragher repeated his whinging and even sent text messages.

All the leading players apart from these two have said they were shocked, disappointed, saddened etc by Rafa's going. They were also dismayed at the leaking to the press that Carragher was doing. It hurt team morale badly.

Rafa should have benched Gerrrard last year for lack of effort and poor form - and he should have fined Carragher for briefing against him and other players. Many people knew what Carragher was doing - including Rafa. Hicks confirmed the other day that Gerrard and Carragher were the whingers.

Players going to the board - which they did not do - is a reason for the players to go - not the manager.

Carragher not only wanted to secure a new contract he also had ambitions to be manager one day.

no, but you are unbelievably naive in thinking Benitez staying was even an option.

Still defending the sacking of Benitez, even after today. Can’t reconcile my thoughts any more, just gotta stop reading this shite, stay on general forums now I think.

Because he had alienated a large number of the key players, he had helped to generate a poisonous atmosphere inside and outside the club, he had constantly caused distractions to the team with his discussions about offers and interest from other clubs, his ridiculous attempts at messing with Ferguson's head, which damaged him (and us) far more than it did Ferguson, and he couldn't motivate or organise the team. We are absolutely shit this year, but we weren't much better last year. We were in a downward spiral, and short of replacing half a dozen players, including our best and most influential, it wasn't going to change.

fair enough but you dont get in a manager who is not as good as the one you got rid of and you dont get someone in because of their nationaliy especially considering managers from that particular nationality are mostly rubbish.

Who told you of all this unrest in the dressing room?

Maddocks and Bascombe?

Your usual crap. You know nothing about LFC or the players. You make it up. You can try all you want but you cannot justify the thousands of words you spilled on a poky website sneering at Rafa and the players not only last year but also the year before even when we were second chasing first and breaking all records for goals scored.

The only "poison" associated with the club came from Carragher, Gerrrard, Bascombe you and one or two other loonies on here.

Edited by diego

fair enough but you dont get in a manager who is not as good as the one you got rid of and you dont get someone in because of their nationaliy especially considering managers from that particular nationality are mostly rubbish.

Hodgson wasn't my preferred option either. I don't care about nationality. I like Melons, and she's Welsh.

I'd rather have unrest in the dressing room in 7th place playing average football than the paradise that Woy's bringing, whilst 19th and playing utter shite.

Yes but that doesn't matter because there are no longer situations where Martin O'Neill and Steve Bruce are criticising the club so it's all good. Some call it "dignity" and "class". I call it losing.

Benítez got slated - and sacked - for underachieving with a side that (minus only two players) had finished second a year earlier to the 5th best team to have graced the English league system when you look at the points tally.

Yea, it was "minus only two players", but one of them just happened to be the player of the season that year and pretty much dictated how we played and everything went through him.

It's a ridiculous idea wanting Rafa to come back, in my opinion. It was the correct decision to get rid of him, and the incorrect decision to get Hodgson. The latter can't be solved by trying to fix the former.

I hold my hands up and say that I was one of the many people who would have said something like "anyone could do better than Rafa is doing at the moment" at the end of last season. Hodgson isn't doing any better. Not much has changed at all.

Yea, it was "minus only two players", but one of them just happened to be the player of the season that year and pretty much dictated how we played and everything went through him.

Good point, can't argue with that at all.

It's a ridiculous idea wanting Rafa to come back, in my opinion. It was the correct decision to get rid of him, and the incorrect decision to get Hodgson. The latter can't be solved by trying to fix the former.

It is really a ridiculous idea wanting Rafa back, but to someone who thought it was a ridiculous idea suggesting that the club would be better off without him, surely you can look at Inter, see how he's getting on with players, and the board, and accept that we're jealous of Inter right now who have a top coach who we let go?

I hold my hands up and say that I was one of the many people who would have said something like "anyone could do better than Rafa is doing at the moment" at the end of last season. Hodgson isn't doing any better. Not much has changed at all.

Apart from 11 league positions. Fans being vocal at a home and away match about replacing the manager. And the quality of football. Maybe not the style - still the same negative dire shite admittedly - but the 'controlling' the game Benítez was slagged off for. Also the optimism of the fans. I went to OT and the Emirates last year thinking we could nick a result. This season I've come out of the Blackpool match with more money than I went in with as I knew we would lose, and I can't see us taking any points against Blackburn next week.