You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So...anyone fancy talking about football again?

Section_31

Haven't been able to think about what's going on on the pitch for well over a year now to be quite honest, but tonight Liverpool FC feels like a football club again.

I still think we need a winger, any good ones out there?

Ahhhh, football, i remember that. small boys in the park,jumpers for goalpost, isnt it ? wasnt it ?

I still think we need a winger, any good ones out there?

I still like Ashley Young, would be expensive though.

Can play right or left wing, works hard, has a good cross and is a very good set play taker - which would help the side, especially at corners.

The first thing I would try to do is get rid of the flops - Babel, Lucas, Poulsen etc.

Then would try and bring back Alonso, who should never have left.

Still think we need a centre back who can head - Hangeland would fit that bill.

Also a striker to help Torres out - Llorente might be decent or Carroll at Newcastle.

Doubt we can do all of that, certainly in January - but I think those are the main positions to strenthen, along with left back but I don't have a clue who to get for that position.

I still like Ashley Young, would be expensive though.

Can play right or left wing, works hard, has a good cross and is a very good set play taker - which would help the side, especially at corners.

The first thing I would try to do is get rid of the flops - Babel, Lucas, Poulsen etc.

Then would try and bring back Alonso, who should never have left.

Still think we need a centre back who can head - Hangeland would fit that bill.

Also a striker to help Torres out - Llorente might be decent or Carroll at Newcastle.

Doubt we can do all of that, certainly in January - but I think those are the main positions to strenthen, along with left back but I don't have a clue who to get for that position.

Do you reckon Xabi would come back ? bet hed be pricey though.

Do you reckon Xabi would come back ? bet hed be pricey though.

Don't know, but he loves the place and I'm sure Gerrard, Carragher, Torres, Reina etc would love him back.

He'd be a big fish here and he is loved, where as at Real he is just another fish amongst many other big fish.

Alonso and Meireles in centre midfield, I think would be immense and allow Gerrard to roam behind Torres. Add to that a Joe Cole on one wing and then another decent wide player on the other side and we'd look a very threatening team.

First thing we need to do is get a new manager in. We need someone young with fresh ideas, I'm really quite against getting Kenny in, though he would be significant improvement. We need a striker, two wingers, a central midfielder, a left back, a centre back and a right back.

For striker, I don't think we should get someone very very strong in the air, like Crouch or Davies (just examples mind) because we'd be branded route one. And we probably would be, too. I want a real fox in the box type player, with a decent amount of pace. Preferably doesn't mind sitting on the bench.

We really have to stop playing with "inverted wingers", I know it's part of the modern game with 4231 and all that bollocks but we need someone who can be isolated one on one out wide, and put in a cross.

As a bare minimum, I think we need a centre half, a left winger/forward and a centre forward. Beyond that, a central midfielder, right back, left back, right winger/forward and another centre half would help too. And then you can talk about all the players who should be shown the door and that's potentially an even longer list.

There are so many problems with our squad, it doesn't bear thinking about, sometimes. We are desperately short of width, pace, goals and aerial ability as things stand (although the goals one is arguably an issue of form and fitness). We are also paying too many players big money when they have serious and long-standing issues with quality, fitness or both.

The key is to get the team balanced and competitive again as quickly as possible (ie, in no more than two transfer windows) whilst putting some serious strategic planning in place for its continued development. For me that means a top class youth set up that feeds seamlessly into the first team with occasional top class signings as required. A future that relies on transfer market acquisitions is unsustainable, in my view, assuming we also want to return to the peak of European football.

We therefore have to balance the needs of the here and now with those of the future whilst acknowledging that there's no sugar daddy solution. Maybe those UEFA FFP rules have arrived at just the right time for us.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

I'd like to see players already experienced in the PL, this would help us climb the table come january. Don't really want a foreign signing just yet as it will take them games to get used to the rough and tumble.

We need to stop sitting back and only getting at teams when they cross the halfway line.

We need to stop leaving Torres so isolated.

We need to move our back line away from the edge of the penalty area at home.

We need to make sure our 'wingers' getting out wide and cross the ball as opposed to shrinking towards the centre.

We need to play Miereles in the centre.

We need to play with an offensive mindset before the second half fucking starts.

We need to make sure Glen Johnson has a clear idea of when he's allowed to attack and when he should be defending.

We need to make sure we've got someone protecting the space in front of the back four.

We need to stop setting ourselves up like a mid-table team who are hoping to win slightly more than they lose over the course of a season.

Do that and it's top four guaranteed I reckon.