You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carragher extends Liverpool deal!!

AGGERaphobic

Fuckin hell Carra has been an excellent servant and is deserving of a new contract. I think Carra has been more exposed and made to look worse than he actually is particularly because of Johnson. Johnson is defensively inept and as a result the whole defence is under more pressure than it should but Carra will feel that effect moreso being on the right sided centre half
Fair play, Johnson has been cack this season.

Have mixed feelings about this if I'm honest.

Carra's been fantastic for us over the years, but I feel his performances have dropped quite drastically since 08/09. I don't think he's a shoo in for our first eleven anymore, and don't think he has the temperament or the patience to come off the bench as third choice CB.

So a 2 year contract doesn't really make sense to me.

Carra's been fantastic for us over the years, but I feel his performances have dropped quite drastically since 08/09. I don't think he's a shoo in for our first eleven anymore, and don't think he has the temperament or the patience to come off the bench as third choice CB.

Agree with this, smacks of sentiment and trying to appease local fans and important players. Carra shouldn't be in our first eleven anymore, great servant though he has been. A one year deal with a view to take up coaching perhaps, but I really think this should be Carra's last season for us. If we are serious about establishing a pattern of play our CBs need to be more comfortable on the ball. To me the most important thing is the way centre forwards dominate Carra both on the ground and in the air. His positional sense is still among the best in the business, his commanding of other players probably too, but that can only get you so far.

For the Norwegian readers, I don't think a parallell with Henning Berg is too far off when it comes to our number 23...

is 100% correct

really happy for Carra great presence just thinking of Sami and although he slowed down he had aerial presence and amazing passing ability, now the Carra has become the oldish man of the team lets hope tactics realise this and he doesnt get to isolate or pulled out of position to often. Well done JC YNWA

Hes still our best centre back which probably says more about the form of our centre backs at the moment I think. Agger for all his classiness has been shifted from pillar to post and is again suffering with injuries.

Skrtel is looking a little bit better lately but is still nowhere near the level he was at before the Man City injury the other year.

I think Carra was worth another 1 year contract and then we should have took it from there. Hes at an age now where we need to be a bit guarded over the deals he receives. There should be no sentimentality just because of who he is.

Its up to others now to step up to the plate and challenge him though because this is the age where he should be challenged. I believe Agger shouldn't be a shoe in for a big contract next time neither. Hes got a massive lot of proving to do, injury wise and based on his form.

Fuckin hell Carra has been an excellent servant and is deserving of a new contract. I think Carra has been more exposed and made to look worse than he actually is particularly because of Johnson. Johnson is defensively inept and as a result the whole defence is under more pressure than it should but Carra will feel that effect moreso being on the right sided centre half

That's been the problem for the past two years - NOTHING has ever been Jamie's fault. It's always something else, isn't it?

• Downvote 1

That's been the problem for the past two years - NOTHING has ever been Jamie's fault. It's always something else, isn't it?

That is the truth. He hoofs because the midfielders aren't good enough. He is made to deal with crosses because of the fullbacks. AT one time he was a great player and possibly the most underated footballer in the league. At this point he is wildly overated and a liability. Those that think he is our best CB are either wildly biased or have no footballing knowledge.

To me our backline needs to be Agger and someone else. Would love Samba. I think he ticks all the boxes.

I posted this at 2-31 yesterday before the current thread started, but the managers at TLW moved it several pages back.

Carragher gets his thirty pieces of silver

Carragher gets two years contract. He boasts that he never negotiates - his contract renewals take two minutes. This one took a whole year of plotting and scheming. First were the threats that he would leave if he was not first choice, then the paranoia that Rafa would not recommend a renewal, then the campaign to undermine Rafa using Bascombe and TLW and eventually giving Purslow grounds to tell the media and the board that Rafa had lost the dressing room. Even after he started to talk openly about his contract - it has taken two or three months of negotiations.

Its not right that one of the highest paid and the oldest player should be given an extraordinary extension on the eve of new owners taking over. It smells like a pay-off.

He was a good player 4-5 years ago. He's not good enough now. He should have been offered a one-year extension at reduced wages on the understanding that he would have to work for his place.

That would have allowed him to look elsewhere - possbily go and play for "the Boss" - Houllier at Aston Villa, or even for Everton so he could try to win over the other half of Liverpool for his restaurant.

I think Carra has been more exposed and made to look worse than he actually is particularly because of Johnson. Johnson is defensively inept and as a result the whole defence is under more pressure than it should but Carra will feel that effect moreso being on the right sided centre half

When Carragher is hoofing the ball in the general direction of nobody, he is using his foot not Johnson's.

Edited by Hermes