You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Will Purslow keep his job under the new regime?

myrlas

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It frustrates me that this seems to be being treated as another black-and-white issue of factions. Anti-Benitez segments support Purslow; therefore Benitez advocates are Anti-Purslow.

I don't think that's the issue at all. Purslow and Benitez blatantly didn't get on - fine, let's get that out of the way. It's also obvious that Purslow wasn't completely responsible for the failures of last season; what part he played is indeterminable, but most sane people won't agree that he was the change that caused the beginning of our decline.

In fact, lets even put to one side the rumours that he leaked things to Bascombe to undermine Rafa's position. I don't think that's ethical business practise, but if you're of the opinion that getting rid of Benitez was best for the club - as many are - I can see why you wouldn't be bothered about it, and may even think it was commendable.

Brushing all that to one side, what has he done in his career that makes people think he ought to be in charge of negotiating player contracts or deciding on staff? It's absolute madness. Putting all of his arguably unscrupulous behaviour to one side, the SOS minutes and the positive spend malarkey, where are his credentials for the position? It was clear in what Roy said in the summer that Purslow was in charge of transfers -- but he was only originally brought in to attract investment. He has nothing whatsoever on his C.V to suggest that he's capable of fulfilling that role.

For those who want him to stay: can I ask what you think he brings to the role in the long term, both in terms of credentials and what's done so far, and what evidence you think is in support of this?

I've read some stuff about Dalglish on other forums that made it quite clear if he stepped into Rafa's shoes there'd be trouble, even for the greatest man in our history.

His book and public statements have made it quite clear that he still yearns for the job. If he'd done that while Rafa was here there'd have been uproar. No one seemed too bothered when he was doing it to Hodgson.

Now the Kop is practically begging him to take over.

Like I say, quite the coincidence and hugely convenient.

Is this a serious statement?

It frustrates me that this seems to be being treated as another black-and-white issue of factions. Anti-Benitez segments support Purslow; therefore Benitez advocates are Anti-Purslow.

I don't think that's the issue at all. Purslow and Benitez blatantly didn't get on - fine, let's get that out of the way. It's also obvious that Purslow wasn't completely responsible for the failures of last season; what part he played is indeterminable, but most sane people won't agree that he was the change that caused the beginning of our decline.

In fact, lets even put to one side the rumours that he leaked things to Bascombe to undermine Rafa's position. I don't think that's ethical business practise, but if you're of the opinion that getting rid of Benitez was best for the club - as many are - I can see why you wouldn't be bothered about it, and may even think it was commendable.

Brushing all that to one side, what has he done in his career that makes people think he ought to be in charge of negotiating player contracts or deciding on staff? It's absolute madness. Putting all of his arguably unscrupulous behaviour to one side, the SOS minutes and the positive spend malarkey, where are his credentials for the position? It was clear in what Roy said in the summer that Purslow was in charge of transfers -- but he was only originally brought in to attract investment. He has nothing whatsoever on his C.V to suggest that he's capable of fulfilling that role.

For those who want him to stay: can I ask what you think he brings to the role in the long term, both in terms of credentials and what's done so far, and what evidence you think is in support of this?

If I may...

What makes David Gill qualified to do the same at United?

What made David Dein qualified to do the same at Arsenal?

What makes any CEO qualified to make any sort of footballing decision like that anywhere?

The thing is. Rafa got a 5 year contract he also, to my knowledge sacked 12 people in the management set up. He wanted all the responsibility, without the accountability and half of our fanbase where willing to give him that which is bullshit.

Don't get me wrong, Ideally I'd love the manager to make the majority of the footballing decisions. But that doesn't happen anywhere and never does. Not even Ferguson has that much power at United.

Rafa's ultimate problem was he was a control freak, he didn't have someone with reigns. Purslow tried to do that, infact it was probably his job to do that. Rafa didn't like it.

In the end this was Rafa's downfall. Not Purslow. Rafa wanted more control than he could handle, it eventually impacted upon his performance. He alienated players, he alienated staff, he alienated all sorts of fucking people because he couldn't understand the word 'No' and it was either his way, or the highway.

It's a fucking shame really, because he's quite clearly a very good tactical manager. It's a shame that he was a devious, calculating and overall infuriating bellend.

If Rafa had been sacked with games to play the Kop would have been begging for Dalglish. The fans were begging for Dalglish as soon as Dalglish said he was interested.

If Dalglish had said he yearned for the job when any manager was here, there would have been uproar, because he'd have been undermining the manager, but he said what he said when we didn't have a manager. You'll notice when Hodgson got the job he just said yeah I wanted it but the board didn't want to appoint me, so that was that. He's not been releasing statements, no cryptic comments to the press.

I think you've gone a bit too far with the conspiracy thing.

No more ridiculous than suggesting Purslow doesn't respect him, as someone tried to say before.

The serialisation of his book, which explicitly states that he thought he would be the best man for the job, appeared when someone else had been given the job.

Just someone that no one cares about.

From the moment he took that position from "Tom & George" - the way he's always referred to the vermin - there were whispers about him having "unfinished business" with Ferguson.

I'd prefer 'cynical' rather than 'paranoid', thank you!

Some of the stuff coming out over Kenny on sites like RAWK was fucking ridiculous.

It's akin to the sort of shit Jamie is getting now because he apparently ousted the manager.

So Purslow engineered appointing Hodgson for PR reasons?

If I may...

What makes David Gill qualified to do the same at United?

What made David Dein qualified to do the same at Arsenal?

What makes any CEO qualified to make any sort of footballing decision like that anywhere?

Dein built up his shares until he owned 42% of the club in 1991. During his time at the club, he was responsible for football matters taking an active role in the transfer of players and contract negotiations where he was able to use his extensive network of football contacts.

In 1986 Dein was voted onto the board of the Football League Management Committee and subsequently achieved a place on the FA Council. He was also one of the major architects of the FA Premier League in 1992.

That's from Dein's wiki. He started at Arsenal in 1983 and became progressively more involved, as well as becoming involved in football as a whole.

Gill joined Manchester United PLC in 1997 as finance director. In August 2000, he was promoted to deputy chief executive whilst retaining his responsibilities as finance director. In July 2001, Nick Humby was appointed finance director of Manchester United PLC, so Gill was promoted again this time to the title of Group Managing Director, allowing him to concentrate on managing the day-to-day operations of the business (including sponsorship & marketing, business development, financial services, conference & catering, ticketing & membership and group property).

In September 2003, after the departure of previous Chief Executive Peter Kenyon to Chelsea F.C., Gill was promoted to Chief Executive of Manchester United PLC

That's from Gill's. If you look at it, he started in a much smaller role and learnt the trade to build his way up.

Purslows?

After graduating in Modern and Medieval Languages at Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge, [2] he earned an MBA at Harvard Business School where he was a Baker Scholar.[3] Prior to his appointment at Liverpool he founded MidOcean Partners, a private equity firm.

Are you seriously suggesting he's nearly as qualified?

You also, unbelievably, completely missed the entire point of my post - which is that whether or not Purslow is qualified for the position should not be anything to do with Benitez's relationship with him or what Benitez has said. You've nicely illustrated the fact that the issue is looked at as Purslow vs. Benitez, but it really is anything but.

He has no business occupying the position he occupies and the sooner it's sorted, the better.

No more ridiculous than suggesting Purslow doesn't respect him, as someone tried to say before.

The serialisation of his book, which explicitly states that he thought he would be the best man for the job, appeared when someone else had been given the job.

Just someone that no one cares about.

From the moment he took that position from "Tom & George" - the way he's always referred to the vermin - there were whispers about him having "unfinished business" with Ferguson.

I'd prefer 'cynical' rather than 'paranoid', thank you!

Purslow didn't give him the job - a not altogether ridiculous interpretation of that would be that he didn't think he'd be up to it. Which was backed up by Broughton saying he didn't think Kenny was a serious candidate.

The serialisation of his book was planned well in advance, and the issue of him wanting the job was only in there because it happened over the summer. The book was planned well before that.

Whispers from where? I think you're reading too much into things.

Is it not even remotely possible that the appointment of any manager then was immaterial, since he was not going to get anything like enough funds, would be dealing with both Rafa and Kenny lovers (unless it actually WAS Kenny!) and their unparalleled spite, plus to cap it all off the two cunts trying to find any amount of money and fuck things up.

If anything the tumbling fumbling nature of our start has accentuated the need to get rid of twit and twat, unlike United where Ferguson is only just starting to look slightly shaky.

I don't think Jesus himself could have done this job since July; no proper pre-season, shiftiness everywhere, players agitating to leave and sulking when they couldn't, fitness all to fuck.

Did it really matter who got it then? Thanks to NESV, it matters now hence the universal clamour for Hodgson to be fucked off.

Goaty, i think you're going a bit mental here.

Why the conspiracy? Why wasn't Kenny appointed after Rafa left? Why was Hodgson appointed...did Purslow & Kenny expect him to fail?

For what it's worth i think Purslow has done something truly wonderful in getting rid of the 2 leaches. For that he'll have my gratitude forever.

If he can keep himself out of the football field then i'll be happy to see him continue. If he can't help himself and gest involved in the footie side then he should be shown the door immediately. Everything he touches, football related, turns to shite.

Is it not even remotely possible that the appointment of any manager then was immaterial, since he was not going to get anything like enough funds, would be dealing with both Rafa and Kenny lovers (unless it actually WAS Kenny!) and their unparalleled spite, plus to cap it all off the two cunts trying to find any amount of money and fuck things up.

If anything the tumbling fumbling nature of our start has accentuated the need to get rid of twit and twat, unlike United where Ferguson is only just starting to look slightly shaky.

I don't think Jesus himself could have done this job since July; no proper pre-season, shiftiness everywhere, players agitating to leave and sulking when they couldn't, fitness all to fuck.

Did it really matter who got it then? Thanks to NESV, it matters now hence the universal clamour for Hodgson to be fucked off.

So by appointing Hodgson, Purslow ensured both the takeover and a PR triumph in a few weeks when he appoints Dalglish? Perhaps he IS Jesus?

Who was responsible for replacing benitez with hodgson? It certainly wasn't kenny. Whoever made the decision actually completey disregarded his opinion. We need someone as ceo/chairman/director of football, or whatever they call themselves, that understands the game so we avoid a repeat of the roy debacle. That person is not purslow no matter how much he helped to get rid of hicks.

Agree 100% with this...

You're right. Everything you'd laid out is possible. It's just absurd to consider it an actual possibility.

Well, that's a bit rum(sfeld).

I find it strange that most people discussing Roy's appointment start and end with "what on earth were they thinking?", obviously the distaste for Purslow makes them far happier to answer "well he's just a clueless twat".

Just helped get rid of the vermin for us, so maybe not quite so clueless?

More likely perhaps that no one good really wanted it given the circumstances. And by saying to someone, perhaps including Kenny himself, "look just hold on for a bit because these circumstances can change and you can have it when you can make a better fist of it".

Broughton for one referred to the months of negotiation, or was it weeks I've forgotten, with NESV?

Hicks and Gillett were on thin ice as soon as Broughton was appointed around the same time it became clear there would be no CL funds this season. Also possible that RBS were convinced the October deadline would not be met and all of this was foreseen?

Someone needed to be manager, why saddle one you really want with the inevitable early failure (though admittedly not quite as atrocious as this)?