You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Will Purslow keep his job under the new regime?

myrlas

"White liquid in a bottle? Gotta be milk" - Rafa Benitez today criticising Purslow for his downfall today.

We got 82 points and came second in the league, then Purslow came into the club and everything changed!

That's what he was saying in the Inter press conference.

Last season must have really fucked with his mind. We got 86 points and finished second. We got 82 three years earlier and finished 3rd.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rafael Benitez has launched a cryptic attack on Liverpool's ousted owners and current managing director Christian Purslow.

Benitez, whose six-year reign as manager ended in the summer, hit out at former co-owner Tom Hicks' claim that he was largely to blame for the Reds' worst ever start to the Barclays Premier League this season.

Hicks pointed the finger at Benitez for wasting much of the money he was given to spend during the latter half of his tenure.

But a clearly irked Benitez insisted the Americans were to blame, citing their of appointment Purslow in the summer of last year as the beginning of a downward spiral that ended in the Spaniard's exit.

In an outburst reminiscent of Eric Cantona's famous quote featuring seagulls and trawlers, Inter Milan boss Benitez compared events leading up to his departure to a bottle of milk.

MILK TURNS SOUR AS BENITEZ TALKS | Football Transfer News, Football News, Fixtures, Results, Match Reports, Stats

"I prefer not to talk too much about Liverpool," said Benitez, who watched his former club's Merseyside derby defeat on Sunday which left them second bottom of the table.

"I prefer not to talk about this because I feel really sorry for the fans.

"I was watching the fans and I was really sad after the defeat the other day.

"We have a saying in Spanish, which is: 'White liquid in a bottle has to be milk'."

Benitez, who led Liverpool to second place in the Premier League in 2009 but could only manage seventh last term, added: "What does this mean? It means that after 86 points and finishing second in the league, what changed?

"The Americans, they chose a new managing director and everything changed.

"So, what changed?

"The managing director is involved in all the decisions: new lawyer, new chief of press, new manager, nine new players, new medical staff, new fitness coaches - they changed everything.

"At the beginning, they changed the managing director who was talking with some players, and they changed everything that we were doing in the past.

"So, if you want to ask again what was going on, it's simple: they changed something and, at the end, they changed everything.

"So, white liquid in a bottle: milk. You will know who is to blame."

Pressed further on the matter, Benitez would only say: "White liquid in a bottle. If I see John the milkman in the Wirral, where I was living, with this bottle, I'd say, 'It's milk, sure'."

What does that quote even mean?

I think it is a saying in Spanish and is like saying here - 'If it looks like an elephant, acts like an elephant - IT IS AN ELEPHANT!'

Meaning if everything was fine before Purslow came, then everything changed - it has to be Purslow that was at fault for the change.

Didn't he find £100m from the Rhone group but it was refused at board level ? If so he succeeded. These people have fought, and continue to fight for our club. They maybe from a strictly business point of view, but I'd rather have a business man who fights than a 'fan' who does fuck all.

My personal view is that I'd be happy if he stayed.

Spot on

Rafael Benitez blames Christian Purslow for Liverpool decline - Barclays Premier League - ESPN Soccernet

I love Rafa

And yes Purslow is a total twat for appointing Hodgson and then he goes on 5 live and tries to tell the world how much better a manager Hodgson is and will be than Rafa, Purslow is a twat however he did his best to save this club.

I don't dispute that Purslow handled the Rafa situation poorly, and they were both wrong for their leaks to the press against eachother. However, I think Rafa gave as good as he got.

Also, we all know that Gillett and Hicks are the main ones to blame. But Rafa didn't mention them once. Purslow, like Rafa, was just an employee of the club.

Didn't he find £100m from the Rhone group but it was refused at board level ? If so he succeeded. These people have fought, and continue to fight for our club. They maybe from a strictly business point of view, but I'd rather have a business man who fights than a 'fan' who does fuck all.

My personal view is that I'd be happy if he stayed.

I agreed. But he stay as what that the big question? Business sense? or Football matters? Does he have the track record for footballing stuff?

I think that over the next few years we will see who needed to go between Rafa and Purslow because its obvious the couldnt work together.

We needer new owners and got them but to get them we needed to sacrifice a top manager.

Your view depends on whether you think selling the club was more important than getting rid of a top manager who wanted to play politics instead of coach a lot of the time.

I would say that the club is always more important than any one individual.

I wonder who is doing ALL those tasks for Inter?

I bet it ain't Rafa.

I'm not saying Purslow is qualified to do those tasks. In fact he clearly isn't but if Rafa thinks he is able to do all those, he is clearly deluded.

There is a reason why Rafa is so successful when he is coaching players bought by others. This is not a criticism as he is quite simply a top class coach but it doesn't mean he can do everything, which is what he wanted at Liverpool.