You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Will Purslow keep his job under the new regime?

myrlas

Just helped get rid of the vermin for us, so maybe not quite so clueless?

More likely perhaps that no one good really wanted it given the circumstances.

Pellegrini said he would've loved it, but that Liverpool wanted a English manager.

Which just highlights what people are saying about Purslow being clueless on footballing matters.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And confirming, oh so coincidentally, what Rafa and his acolytes said to get rid of Parry and then tried to get rid of Purslow, that he thinks he knows more about football than the manager.

And that the awful pile of shit that was brought in during the last few windows was nothing to do with the manager.

Pellegrini said? Well, okay then.

Purslow needs to fuck off. Thanks for voting against the ex owners, but now bugger off ya lying, bakstabbing slimy cunt

No concrete prove to show he is lying backstabbing. He may be sharpening his knife waiting for the right time to get H+G out or he may be not. We have to give credit for what he has done & shown outing H+G. What we should be concern with whether he is poking his finger into footballing matter which he does not have any credential in it. Ya we can argue he is a red fans, doing it for our LFC future, but is he doing the right thing?

I'd prefer 'cynical' rather than 'paranoid', thank you!

How about a paranoid cynic?

I find it strange that most people discussing Roy's appointment start and end with "what on earth were they thinking?", obviously the distaste for Purslow makes them far happier to answer "well he's just a clueless twat".

Just because a person is good at business, does not mean that he is necessarily good at something else. Purslow is a politician, first and foremost, businessman next. Football man, well I'd hope not if he is the CEO.

No more ridiculous

A repetitive theme of your ten million or more posts is that those who appreciated and have affection for Rafa are a contemptible love-lorn minority.

Since when was it contemptible for supporters of a club to appreciate and admire a winning manager who identified with them?

It is your attitude which is aberrant and in the minority. Perhaps you think its normal because you post on a site whose ruling clique share your views. But that clique is out of touch with reality not only because it is too influenced by Carragher, Gerrard and Bascombe but because it has misjudged its own readership.

In a recent poll on here more than two thirds of the registered readers voted to have Rafa return as manager.

I would interpret that as a vote of non-confidence in the liars, gossips, small-time politicians, and self-publicising dramatists who have used TLW to try to undermine the finest manager we have had in twenty years.

You are clearly an intelligent person. Why not get the monkey off your back and just admit what millions of LFC supporters can see so clearly, that Purslow is not qualified to be involved in football decisions, that he was wrong to encourage Carragher and Gerrard to plot against their manager, that his interference in Rafa's job was unconscionable - and that to get the poison out of the club we must first get rid of Purslow.

Just because a person is good at business, does not mean that he is necessarily good at something else. Purslow is a politician, first and foremost, businessman next. Football man, well I'd hope not if he is the CEO.

I don't think he is either. It's others claiming he thinks he has expert knowledge, and all for a smokescreen for someone who left 4 months ago who seems to be conducting all this from Italy.

The way I see it, it was a clear choice of moving Rafa on and keeping Purslow to move the owners on.. Now that Purslow has completed his remit, he now needs to move on himself and stop living the dream and stop believing that you actually know what you are doing. Stick to the boardroom and not the bootroom. I will always be gratful for what he did last week (wow, it feels like so long ago!!) But for the good of the club, take our thanks and gratitude and leave a hero.

The way I see it, it was a clear choice of moving Rafa on and keeping Purslow to move the owners on.. Now that Purslow has completed his remit, he now needs to move on himself and stop living the dream and stop believing that you actually know what you are doing. Stick to the boardroom and not the bootroom. I will always be gratful for what he did last week (wow, it feels like so long ago!!) But for the good of the club, take our thanks and gratitude and leave a hero.

Perhaps.

As long as he does 'leave' and isn't hounded out, which is clearly Rafa's preference.

Well, that's a bit rum(sfeld).

I find it strange that most people discussing Roy's appointment start and end with "what on earth were they thinking?", obviously the distaste for Purslow makes them far happier to answer "well he's just a clueless twat".

More likely perhaps that no one good really wanted it given the circumstances. And by saying to someone, perhaps including Kenny himself, "look just hold on for a bit because these circumstances can change and you can have it when you can make a better fist of it”.

Is it more likely that:

A. Purslow fucked up with the Hodgson appointment because he’s a businessman with little understanding of footballing matters; or

B. He appointed Hodgson, safe in the knowledge that Hodgson would fail, thus forcing out the Yanks, told Kenny to sit tight, knew that he’d retain his place on the board after the takeover*, and would then sack Hodgson and appoint Dalglish, ensuring a PR triumph, albeit having sabotaged the season entirely and cost the club upwards of £15 million in the process?

*Bearing in mind that NESV have said it’s been 67 days since they first thought of purchasing Liverpool until now, meaning that the takeover was not on the horizon at the time of Hodgson’s appointment on 1 July.

I wanted rid of Rafa and Purslow. If after an 'exhaustive search' the best manager you can muster is Roy Hodgson then you've no business being at a football club. He's also a bullshitter.

We need a fresh start as the club is still in turmoil due to the remnants of the H&G remaining.

Well, that's a bit rum(sfeld).

More likely perhaps that no one good really wanted it given the circumstances. And by saying to someone, perhaps including Kenny himself, "look just hold on for a bit because these circumstances can change and you can have it when you can make a better fist of it".

Broughton for one referred to the months of negotiation, or was it weeks I've forgotten, with NESV?

Hicks and Gillett were on thin ice as soon as Broughton was appointed around the same time it became clear there would be no CL funds this season. Also possible that RBS were convinced the October deadline would not be met and all of this was foreseen?

Someone needed to be manager, why saddle one you really want with the inevitable early failure (though admittedly not quite as atrocious as this)?

Who is this goat idiot. Hes a proper idiot. That's all.

I've met a lot of people like Purslow and Benitez's side of the story hints at a situation I've seen all too often. Purslow sees the world through the textbooks he studied as a Harvard MBA. Clever, astute, thoughtful, insightful I'd imagine, but more often than not grand plans fall down when it comes to translating that strategy to reality. Then you are dealing with gradients, truths that ebb and flow, insecurities, instead of clear-cut black and white certainty. During reconstruction according to the Harvard prescribed SWOT analysis and stakeholder consultation, you invariably kick out some seemingly insignificant under-pinning which alas turns out to have been the very plank holding in abeyance a key employee's neurosis and before you know it there's a tailspin, chaos and everyone is blaming everyone else.

Heroes and villains them all.

You must be meeting the divs falling out of Harvard. I've met plenty who can understand the world as it is, with it's gradients and ebbing and flowing truths and insecurities. And motivations.

Is it more likely that:

A. Purslow fucked up with the Hodgson appointment because he’s a businessman with little understanding of footballing matters; or

B. He appointed Hodgson, safe in the knowledge that Hodgson would fail, thus forcing out the Yanks, told Kenny to sit tight, knew that he’d retain his place on the board after the takeover*, and would then sack Hodgson and appoint Dalglish, ensuring a PR triumph, albeit having sabotaged the season entirely and cost the club upwards of £15 million in the process?

*Bearing in mind that NESV have said it’s been 67 days since they first thought of purchasing Liverpool until now, meaning that the takeover was not on the horizon at the time of Hodgson’s appointment on 1 July.

THE takeover, no.

A takeover, yes surely? Given there was more than one bidder prepared to pay the eventual price.

So what we're saying here is that Purslow, a smart, savvy, switched on individual knows as much about football as the other season ticket holders on here. I think that's bollocks. I think he knows far more than they do.

What does that even mean? It's not as if we face a binary choice between the two when we're electing a CEO. He is probably infinitely better suited to running the club than your average knowledgeable fan. There are also many people who would be infinitely more experienced and suited to the position than he is; people whose appointment would be far more befitting the stature of the club. That's the issue at hand.

What does that even mean? It's not as if we face a binary choice between the two when we're electing a CEO. He is probably infinitely better suited to running the club than your average knowledgeable fan. There are also many people who would be infinitely more experienced and suited to the position than he is; people whose appointment would be far more befitting the stature of the club. That's the issue at hand.

the point I'm trying to make is that he would be far better equipped to contribute to the sort of footballing decisions a CEO would normally get involved in that the average blert on an internet site.

People need to ask themselves what the role of a CEO is, which areas they believe Purslow lacks experience or know-how in, and who these people are they believe are better .

THE takeover, no.

A takeover, yes surely? Given there was more than one bidder prepared to pay the eventual price.

What would make him so sure that he’d keep a place on the board? Do you really think that option B is more likely than option A?

It was made clear that Broughton was the on taking the lead on ousting the ex-owners. It was also made clear that Purslow took the lead on the search for a new manager. The fact that Purslow backed Broughton in getting rid of the Yanks is good and we’re all grateful to him for it, but it does not mean that he’s some kind of Machiavellian genius who’s had this all lined up.

the point I'm trying to make is that he would be far better equipped to contribute to the sort of footballing decisions a CEO would normally get involved in that the average blert on an internet site.

People need to ask themselves what the role of a CEO is, which areas they believe Purslow lacks experience or know-how in, and who these people are they believe are better .

Forget that shit. In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.

His performance is his performance.

He was brought in to rectify the financial situation. He failed. Broughton and Barcap had to be brought in to bail him out. 0/1

He was asked to temporarily take charge of football matters, keep the ship steady until a sale was made. Next thing we know. Erratic but talented direct report under-performs as does his team. Avuncular, bumbling and success-averse replacement presented. 0/2

Even the uber-incompetent Parry couldn't piss off Benitez enough to get him to leave.