You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you have Benitez at Liverpool again?

RafaLaBamba

Would you ever consider having Rafa back?  

288 members have voted

1. 1. Would you ever consider having Rafa back?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have him back over Hodgson any day of the week, but really I feel we need to go for a more attack minded coach. Someone who is goin to bring back the pass and move philosophy to Liverpool.

If the new owners want to bring in their own man, and Kenny remains out of the running, then i'd like to see Pellegrini given a chance.

No chance, he'd just make the same mistakes again, awful signings, falling out with players, putting himself and ego issues before the team e.t.c if at any point the off field issues brighten up then we should go for Mourinho who said he wants to return to England after Madrid.

I think you're forgetting how good the seasons before last were

We had two great seasons under Rafa in 04-05 and 05-06. Istanbul was beyond everyones wildest dreams despite the shocking league form that eclipsed everything we could have ever hoped for, 05-06 was massive progress which yielded 82 points and an FA Cup.

06-07 was pretty mundane in the league throughout with the shocking statistic of not scoring away in the league until December and whilst it was great reaching another CL Final, a cautious approach cost us that game.

07-08 was a decent but nothing more league season 76 points but never really in contention for the title once we lost to United in December but another good CL run kept our season going offset by a FA Cup loss to Barnsley.

08-09 was whilst in terms of 86 points on the board statistically our best season it agan felt like unfulfilled because we let United off the hook before Christmas when they were in Japan and probably the best chance we will have to win the title for some time and we only really went for it after we had nothing else to lose but some thrilling performances in the CL the Real Madrid 4-0 was unreal and the battering of teams was fantastic if a little frustrating as if only we had showed that mentality before Christmas we would have had United choking on our dust by the time they returned home from Japan.

09-10 was drab, drab, drab and totally stale.

Six seasons. the 05-06 was my personal favourite under Rafa because it felt like work in progress followed by 04-05 because of Istanbul. We had a few seasons of much of a muchness, pretty solid overall bar the odd exception (particularly in Europe) when we were awesome, never in danger of falling out of the top 4 really throughout his reign which was the minimum requirement really.

We had two seasons in my opinion when we exceeded expectations under him, three were we met them with some fantastic highlights in Europe, although people will argue that we exceeded them in 08-09 I will always think of what might have been and we had 09-10 which was below expectations.

Edited by Juan Galonso

Loved what he did and his close connection to us fans and his clear love for the club and whilst he left with a sense of unfinished business, we need to move on and start a fresh especially if we get new owners (please, please, please)

So i would say no but in a few years you never know.

Loved what he did and his close connection to us fans and his clear love for the club and whilst he left with a sense of unfinished business, we need to move on and start a fresh especially if we get new owners (please, please, please)

So i would say no but in a few years you never know.

Agreed.

I was gutted when the bastards sacked him, but Hodgson's the manager now and I don't want him to be the first Liverpool manager in over half a century to finish his Anfield career trophyless.

I'd swop Gerrard and Carragher for Rafa (if Inter would take them, which I admit is highly unlikely). He was the heart and intellectual vision of the club - not those two .

Broughton would have to go, of course, and so would Purslow, unless the new owners removed Purslow's ability to interfere in footballing matters.