You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you have Benitez at Liverpool again?

RafaLaBamba

Would you ever consider having Rafa back?  

288 members have voted

1. 1. Would you ever consider having Rafa back?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How can 08/09 be a let down. Lost only twice in the league and could beat any team in the world on our day.

People forget we were the top ranked side in Europe under rafa for a long time

Looking back at it now though and where we are at this moment in time, as good as the points tally was, isn't there just a part of you that feels that was our big chance and the insipid home performances before Christmas in particular cost us the title. When United came back from Japan if we had been more adventurous we could and should have been 10 points clear of them by then. They scored a scrappy late winner v Stoke on Boxing Day despite being jet-lagged and they were always mainly in control of the race from then on in despite our brilliant performances from March.

Don't get me wrong 86 points was a fine, fine achievement but it arguably should have been better. If we had been braver prior to March it would have been 19-17 with a United side who are having questions asked about them right now rather than 18-18.

Rafa was responsible for the excellent points total that year but it could be argued that he was responsible that we didn't win it as well.

i think it would be doomed from the start so no,but he would have gotten it right under the right circumstances.

the trouble is though,hodgson is a loser and we wont get in anyone capable of taking on the challenge.

so its ok saying we need a winner,id love to know who these winners are and what in hell makes you think they would be interested in the job.

Agreed.

I was gutted when the bastards sacked him, but Hodgson's the manager now and I don't want him to be the first Liverpool manager in over half a century to finish his Anfield career trophyless.

He didn't come for trophies he came for cash. He signed a contract which promised him a huge golden handshake if he was sacked by new owners. He knew perfectly well the club was for sale and the new owners could take over in as little as a month from the time he signed. As it happens it may have taken three or four months. He would have calculated that new owners would let him have a year before replacing him. But probably never foresaw that he would have quite such a disastrous start that new owners should contemplate removing him before Christmas.

Purslow is also responsible, not only for forcing Rafa out and hiring Hodgson, but also for interfering in the transfer and lending of players just before Hodgson was appointed and just after - with Hogson's compliance.

They have both seriously weakened the squad Rafa left and diluted its quality by their acquisitions.

The two of them together are responsible for the debacle and they both should be sacked.

Saying that, I am surprised so many fans would take Benitez back regardless of our current situation.

That may be because you read TLW which is a site with an anti-Rafa agenda.

Most other sites and the vast majority of Liverpool supporters appreciated Rafa, have a deep affection for him and would have him back. The only hesitation would be that it would have to be right for him - nobody would want him to be subjected to a continuation of the same kind of abuse he suffered from the London based media, "Little England" managers, disloyal players like Carragher and Gerrard, xenophobes and extremists on sites like TLW, and interfering technocrats like Purslow. I've no doubt Rafa would take them all on if he had the choice, but his friends might advise him to hold back until the conditions are right.

Obviously I disagree.

We are a shambles on the pitch at the moment and i feel the big egos at the club are mystified at what is going on regards theformations we are playing. man marking at set pieces when we are experienced at zonal. I wonder whether some of the players wanted kenny in. Carry on the way they are at the moment and they may get their wish. Benitez should never have been allowed to leave and i believe it became an obsession with purslow to see it happen.

I remember the same posts being made at the end of 2002-03. We gave GH another season. It didn't do us any good.

True, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was -- on principle -- the wrong thing to do.

Still, talking about this subject is staggeringly ill-advised, and I'm amazed that people insist on bringing it back up again. When we're standing at the point of maybe, finally, moving on from the dark days that have plagued LFC for the last few years I think we need to be looking forward to the future in a way that can unify the fans; and, though the reasons and the rights and wrongs COULD be debated endlessly, this is a topic that is only going to emphasize the divisions among us. Stirring up divisive issues that should belong to the past doesn't suit anyone.

Maybe in the future we can look back rationally at the last five years and talk about legacies, failures and successes, the rights and wrongs of everything thats gone on. From now both sides need to move on, because the in-fighting was embarassing, undignified and isn't worthy of LFC's support.

One bad season' date=' which followed our best season in 20 years. He deserved another season at least to put things right.[/quote']

Knocked out of the Carling Cup in the second round, knocked out of the FA in the 4th round by Everton, knocked out of the CL in the quarter finals by Chelsea and finishing behind the mancs in the league.

This in the same season all the other "top 4" clubs in the country reached the semi finals in both the FA Cup and the Champions League.

What a great season that was, what did we win again?

Knocked out of the Carling Cup in the second round, knocked out of the FA in the 4th round by Everton, knocked out of the CL in the quarter finals by Chelsea and finishing behind the mancs in the league.

This in the same season all the other "top 4" clubs in the country reached the semi finals in both the FA Cup and the Champions League.

What a great season that was, what did we win again?

You are such a thankless pleb.