You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't understand what Pellegrini brings above all the other candidates.

What other candidates? I'm not desperate for Pellerini to get it but Hodgson needs to go, imo, and we need a good manager who's done well to replace him.

He's out of a job and was interested in the summer so would probably still take it and wouln't cost any compensation. He got 96 points in a season, one brilliantly with Villareal and his teams play good footall.

Don't understand what Pellegrini brings above all the other candidates.

I feel the same was about Hiddink. Other than a very brief stint at Chelsea he's only been working part time for five years now. Also, for a coach of his standing, he's not really won a whole lot has he?

I like Pellegrini because he fits the profile. Someone who has had relative success at the top level in a top European league, without having to spend truck loads of money, and playing nice football along the way. 96 points for Real too, in the best league in Europe, is pretty fucking impressive if you ask me. Even Mourinho wont better that this season.

I think anyone who wants to argue that he's no more qualified than Roy are miles off.

I think Pellegrini is a far better manager than Hodgson and he's done well in a very tough Spanish League.

He isn't one of the best managers in the world, but he's probably the best available. All the best manaers in the world are in secure jobs or have recently taken charge of their teams.

i still dont see why Kenny cant just take over...

I just cant help feeling roy will be given a season to prove his worth. Firstly he's appointed by the board, sacking him now will be shooting themselve on the foot, Secondly NESV is new to football so the advice they could get atm is from Purslow, Kenny, Gerrard/Carra etc, what more Roy won the LM last year, the media darling atm

NESV will have done their part to put competant football people in charge... They will do this before they change manager (after they've officially been installed). I believe that they will change manager as despite being the medial darling of last year, Roy has put LFC into the relegation zone at its latest point in the season in 50 years!!!

NESV will have done their part to put competant football people in charge... They will do this before they change manager (after they've officially been installed). I believe that they will change manager as despite being the medial darling of last year, Roy has put LFC into the relegation zone at its latest point in the season in 50 years!!!

Who will advise them who competent footall people are?

I have to admit I'm a little surprised at how completely negative this thread is toward Hodgson. Don't get me wrong, it's an observation not a criticism as I share many of the concerns people have, but I would have thought the bounce of this week's news might have translted to him as well.

I think if Hodgson shows that in the run of games before Christmas that he can not only start winning, but changing the style of play too, then I think he should be given an opportunity to spend some money to improve the squad. Not everything that might otherwise have been available, but some.

What's most worrying (to me at least) is Roy's whole 'hurt feelings' rant about 35 years of management experience, not being willing to change his systems and/or style of play. His track record suggests that the negativety and hoof-it ball will continue and this is just unbecoming of Liverpool and flies in the face of the foundations of the club, its traditions and established history.

I have nothing against Roy - the man. But I don't believe he's a good fit for LFC. I tried to give him a chance, but we've been outplayed and out possessed by two teams who have shipped six goals AT HOME... its just not a good fit.

I think the criteria that we used for getting Rafa in is a sensible one. The main one being that they must have won a league title in one of the main European leagues (Note to Roy, this does not include Lichtenstein)

Not many of them about who are availale. Can you think of any? Lippi, Capello might be availale. Hitzfeld, but he's old.

If we're going for a younger manager then Loew or Deschamps. I haven't watched a lot of Deschamps' team, but I do know that Loew has his team playing great pass and move stuff.

I wouldn't be upset with Pellegrini either.

Hodgson is not the man we need. I feel sorry for him because he is a good man, but he has come to a Liverpool team at a low ebb and it is not sparking under his leadership.

If/when he leaves he will get a pay-off and have the ready made excuse of the new owners wanting their own man.

I'll hold my hands up and admit I thought appointing Hodgson was a good decision, but he really does look out of his depth.

For me he's making very similar mistakes to Benitez in that he's persisting with players who are quite clearly shite (Poulsen) and playing players out of position (Meireles on the right).

If we get beat by the shite, then he really does have to go. I'm all for giving Managers a chance, but I've seen nothing this season which makes me think that an improvement is around the corner or that the players are getting used to a new way of playing. What I do know is that whatever they're being told do on the pitch is failing spectacularly and the Manager is digging his heels in and saying he knows best. I hope for his sake and ours that he does.

Isn't that like saying Fulhams side cost less than ours and he got them to a Europa final and their highest ever PL finish though?

Does finishing 2nd years ago on a tight budget qualify him enough as our manager?

But its more than that... Pelligrini's Villareal played vibrant football at times. At Real, he had one of the highest points totals in La Liga histrory and scored more goals than everyone (unless I'm mistaken) in europe other than Barca. He was effectively sacked (like all Real managers) for not winning EVERY SINGLE GAME... (I think his only real losses were to Barca and in the Champions League)

I'm think if Hodgson had taken Fulham to second in the league people may have a little more faith in him, especially playing the kind of football Villarreal did.

I'd like to think most posters on here would know that the manager of Real Madrid has very little say in who they sign. It really isn't in Pellegrini's nature to sign a collection of overpriced gigantic egos.

Real Madrid only have a manager because they have to. The place is a fucking circus.

This is the same Real Madrid that is all over Mourinho's ass right now for not playing 'pretty enough' despite leading the league in goals scored, having the fewest goals allowed and having not lost a game...

I can't imagine anyone would WANT that job if not for the huge paycheck....

I am sorry but even if we do beat Everton I still feel he is the wrong manager, negative tactics, insistance on playing Poulson and playing 3/4 players a game in a wrong position and refusing to play our arguably best defender and his insistance on a A and B team crap, screams of someone who has no clue what his players can do or how best to employ them.

All I can really add is come the Winter transfer season would you really want Roy incharge of the budget, bear in mind its the last "splashing out" tranfers season before the new financial fairplay rules come in.

Loew for me as I said earlier in the thread, aswell as my backroom team =)

on a side note Roy won only 37% of his games at Fulham and they went down 5 places (previous season 7th down to 12th) following his last year of tenure at the club, so how he gets all the plaudits I have no idea, I wont even mention Blackburn, Abit of luck in the Euro cup one season and he is somehow turned into a godlike status in the press.

Edited by Lubeh

Isn't that like saying Fulhams side cost less than ours and he got them to a Europa final and their highest ever PL finish though?

Does finishing 2nd years ago on a tight budget qualify him enough as our manager?

Due to the fact we sacked Rafa for doing such a feat then i guess it isn't.

I don't know enough about Pellegrini to be warranting shouting his name from the roof-tops but i do know of him is he wants his teams to attack rather then defend.

The steadying of the ship which Hodgson was supposed to be doing as backfired as if anything the rumours from the camp is that the mood with the players is just as bad if not worse then under Rafa.

I don't buy into all this Premiership experience either and if we are thinking of copying the Arsenal model regards the stadium etc then i hope we copy the appointment they did when they took the chance of appointing Wenger who would change their philosphy of a boring club to one of the best to watch teams in Europe.

Who will advise them who competent footall people are?

Stevie Nichol.... I don't know. I know that with the Red Sox, they put in place a very ambitious guy that was very astute. I believe they will find someone of the same ilk and put him in place at Liverpool. From there, manager and players will begin to turn over.

Stevie Nichol.... I don't know. I know that with the Red Sox, they put in place a very ambitious guy that was very astute. I believe they will find someone of the same ilk and put him in place at Liverpool. From there, manager and players will begin to turn over.

thats what i have been led to believe too. Plus the statement from the prem goes on aboad the New board structure too. Could just mean the new guys or could mean overhaul...

depends how you see it.

Due to the fact we sacked Rafa for doing such a feat then i guess it isn't.

I don't know enough about Pellegrini to be warranting shouting his name from the roof-tops but i do know of him is he wants his teams to attack rather then defend.

The steadying of the ship which Hodgson was supposed to be doing as backfired as if anything the rumours from the camp is that the mood with the players is just as bad if not worse then under Rafa.

I don't buy into all this Premiership experience either and if we are thinking of copying the Arsenal model regards the stadium etc then i hope we copy the appointment they did when they took the chance of appointing Wenger who would change their philosphy of a boring club to one of the best to watch teams in Europe.

We still had a better budget than 95% of the league coop and Rafa wasn't sacked for that anyway.

We haven't got new owners yet, so Hodgson is safe until then.

If Pellegrini is so good, why is he still out of a job?

If and when we get new owners, and assuming there'll be money to spend, wouldn't it be better to have a Manager who is used to spending money rather than one who has got along on a shoestring? Otherwise, why isn't Moyes a better option than Pellegrini?

:-)