You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People always go on about Pellegrini, what has he done really to warrant such praise?At least Roy has won a few titles like maybe not in the best leagues but even so.

Has Pellegrini actually won anything in European football circles?

Villarreal side cost less than Roy's Fulham side, and he finished 2nd and got them to a champions league semi-final.

For me, that eclipses anything Roy has done in the past 30 years.

Guest PurpleNose
People always go on about Pellegrini, what has he done really to warrant such praise?At least Roy has won a few titles like maybe not in the best leagues but even so.

Played beautiful football on a budget.

Finished 2nd in La Liga and reached a European Cup final with a club smaller than Reading.

Amassed 96 points with a team of prima donnas. Only missing out on the title due to being up against possibly the greatest Barcelona team of all time.

Do trophies in South America not count?

Villarreal side cost less than Roy's Fulham side, and he finished 2nd and got them to a champions league semi-final.

Finished 2nd in La Liga and reached a European Cup final with a club smaller than Reading.

Amassed 96 points with a team of prima donnas. Only missing out on the title due to being up against possibly the greatest Barcelona team of all time.

Yeah, but apart from that?

Yeah but Roy is good in interviews and that ain't he?

Isn't that like saying Fulhams side cost less than ours and he got them to a Europa final and their highest ever PL finish though?

Does finishing 2nd years ago on a tight budget qualify him enough as our manager?

I have to admit I'm a little surprised at how completely negative this thread is toward Hodgson. Don't get me wrong, it's an observation not a criticism as I share many of the concerns people have, but I would have thought the bounce of this week's news might have translted to him as well.

I think if Hodgson shows that in the run of games before Christmas that he can not only start winning, but changing the style of play too, then I think he should be given an opportunity to spend some money to improve the squad. Not everything that might otherwise have been available, but some.

I think because we have new owners on the horizon, we now have an "out" that wasn't there before. We can get rid of the manager without setting a reactionary precedent which was really my main concern.

Indeed, rather than play out another soap opera, removing Hodgson and getting someone the owners trust makes the most sense. If done properly, it would reflect well on all sides; allowing Hodgson to walk away without his reputation damaged and the owners to announce they have serious aspirations.

keep Hodgson and we lose Torres its quite simple keep our manager and there is no champions league next year bye bye nando,we need the new brush to sweep clean otherwise its midtable with old thumb sucker,fuck me we all know it get rid of him.

I will put my fucking morgage on him not being here in 3 monhs get rid of him now.

Roy's going to build a dynasty here.. I mean a 63 year old who looks to sign the likes of Carlton Cole and actually has signed Paul Konchesky. What can go wrong?

We're looking at long term success with Roy, fast exciting football and the Liverpool brand feared and respected across the world. Oh and he's good at interviews and that. Oh and Carra likes him too. Awesome.

I think he has only reached a semi final ( got tonked by Arsenal) Let's also not forget how many people thought Juande Ramos was impressive until he went to Spurs.

This doesn't mean I think Roy is the man but the facts are Pellegrini didn't follow up his successes in Argentina and won nothing in Spain including nothing at RM despite having bought Kaka, Benzema and Ronaldo. As far as I know he's still unemployed since being sacked by RM .

He may not of won anything to note in europe, but hes won titles in Chile and Argentina. Or does that not count? Does South American Football pale into insignificance when it's matched up against the super power of scandanavian football or something?

Besides Pellegrinis sides have always had a positive attacking philosophy, with a lot of flair and plenty of movement. His Villareal side was a breath of fresh air to La liga. Which is more then can be said for Roys negative one-dimensional ale-house style of football and his unorganised shithouse tactics.

He may not of won anything to note in europe, but hes won titles in Chile and Argentina. Or does that not count? Does South American Football pale into insignificance when it's matched up against the super power of scandanavian football or something?

Besides Pellegrinis sides have always had a positive attacking philosophy, with a lot of flair and plenty of movement. His Villareal side was a breath of fresh air to La liga. Which is more then can be said for Roys negative one-dimensional ale-house style of football and his unorganised shithouse tactics.

That's very nice and all but where are his trophies? I thought the general consensus on here that when Rafa left we had to get someone of similar stature in track records etc. Pellegrini doesn't have that as far as I know.

He won nothing in Chile but did win in Ecuador (S.America's Finland??) and Argentina. No matter how much you dress it up he won sweet fuck all in Spain- despite having a shed full of cash to spend at RM. Like I said for me Roy is not the man for us but we really need to look very carefully at who we choose to replace him when the time arrives and right now nobody is battering down Pellegrini's door.

It doesn't really matter what Pellegrini has done. He's foreign, has a glamourous name and is therefore fashionable. What does his ability have to do with anything?

That's not to say he's not a top manager, I'm just bored of people always throwing names about of foreign players and managers when the reality is most people know very little about them. He could come over here and do as well as Juande Ramos for all we know.

This doesn't mean I think Roy is the man but the facts are Pellegrini didn't follow up his successes in Argentina and won nothing in Spain including nothing at RM despite having bought Kaka, Benzema and Ronaldo. As far as I know he's still unemployed since being sacked by RM .

Lets be honest though. It was never goin to be easy for any manager to get all those player to gel and beat an already fantasic Barcelona side to the title, whilst having to deal with the Madrid board and the media in one season. I think he did a fantasic job under the circumstances really and its more fool Madrid for not giving him atleast another season to get it right.

Guest PurpleNose

I think he has only reached a semi final ( got tonked by Arsenal) Let's also not forget how many people thought Juande Ramos was impressive until he went to Spurs.

You're quite right, my mistake.

I still think Juande Ramos is impressive. A poor season at Tottenham doesn't change my opinion on him. Spurs don't need a continental manager, they need a Redknapp type manager. They're a squad full of thick English players unwilling to change their ways.

As for your second paragraph, well I couldn't disagree more. He was at Villarreal, which is rather like criticising Hodgson for not winning anything with Fulham. The difference being Pellegrini took Villarreal to second. I really don't understand why people fail to see what an achievement this is.

He failed in Europe with Real Madrid, something they've done regularly over the last decade. But 96 points in the league, can you really criticise this? If Mourinho wins the league this year with 90 points will he have done a much better job?

This is why just looking at trophies in isolation doesn't paint the whole picture.

Do you really think he had any say in signing Kaka, Benzema and Ronaldo? They were signed by Perez to sell shirts. This is the first season for a long time that the manager has actually managed to sign players he wants, like Ozil and Khedira.

He won nothing in Chile but did win in Ecuador (S.America's Finland??) and Argentina. No matter how much you dress it up he won sweet fuck all in Spain- despite having a shed full of cash to spend at RM. Like I said for me Roy is not the man for us but we really need to look very carefully at who we choose to replace him when the time arrives and right now nobody is battering down Pellegrini's door.

Sorry I stand corrected I meant from Ecuador. Pellegrini is from Chile isn't he, thats where I got mixed up.

Also it wasn't him who made the signings at Madrid so I think its unfair to blame him for that.

Edited by Lycan

This is what impressed me the most about him. On paper you'd think with all that quality he should have done well anyway but for the 1st season with so many changes and pressure it was a great final position to be considering the trouble behind the scenes which he later talked about after he was sacked. Also the 96pts was a club record points finish that was only beaten by Barcelona.

I still think Juande Ramos is impressive. A poor season at Tottenham doesn't change my opinion on him. Spurs don't need a continental manager, they need a Redknapp type manager. They're a squad full of thick English players unwilling to change their ways.

As for your second paragraph, well I couldn't disagree more. He was at Villarreal, which is rather like criticising Hodgson for not winning anything with Fulham. The difference being Pellegrini took Villarreal to second. I really don't understand why people fail to see what an achievement this is.

He failed in Europe with Real Madrid, something they've done regularly over the last decade. But 96 points in the league, can you really criticise this? If Mourinho wins the league this year with 90 points will he have done a much better job?

This is why just looking at trophies in isolation doesn't paint the whole picture.

Do you really think he had any say in signing Kaka, Benzema and Ronaldo? They were signed by Perez to sell shirts. This is the first season for a long time that the manager has actually managed to sign players he wants, like Ozil and Khedira.

Good post mate.

anyway Roy sorry but Roy has to go he is only here because he was a cheap option and that is why if like me you didn't want him indifference to his appointment was the only option as it is our way to support our managers however it is patently obvious that he is way out of his depth and IF we are taken over then he has to go as has been said above it is a good excuse without going through another soap opera.

Think it might depend on the players they want to talk to if they get the club. According to the mirror they want to talk to Gerrard Torres and Reina. Think Roy may have a problem if stories are true they don't believe in his methods

But you see people are criticising Hodgson for this. Can you imagine if Hodgson or rafa for that matter had signed the sort of players he signed at RM and finished second what some posters on here would be saying.

In essence I agree with your last statement .