You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Also worth adding about Loew the criticisms that are being leveled at Roy could still be aimed at Loew although I acknowledge he hasn't been in the game as long as old Roy.

Name me one International manager who has made it in the PL who didnt really have much of a club career before they made it as an International Manager.

Loew needs to cut it at club football first IMO

The Czec manager at Villa was a disaster.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone knows I wanted Hodgson out the day he was appointed however the sensible debate and question we need to have now is we now find ourselves in a completely different situation than we were when he was appointed.

The simple question that needs to be asked ASAP is Roy Hodgson the right manger for the future of LFC and if he is not then we need to replace him and put our faith and resources on whoever we decide the new manager should be.

Personally we need to go back to Shanks time a pick a manager that has the abillity to be a great manager and back him as the reality is that the best managers like Jose Mourinho wont want the job.

I would love Holloway but I do accept you cant have a LFC manager rolling around the floor when giving an interview so for me it would then be a straight choice between Owen Coyle or Gus Poyet.

Gus Poyet may just edge for his experience of being around high quality players which is the one drawback in going for a Coyle or Holloway.

Seriously?

In my opinion, Hodgson has to be replaced immediately. A disastrous choice from the outset, he has quickly demonstrated that in all facets of football management at this level, he is totally without clue.

Give the job the Kenny until the end of the season - ensuring respectability at the very least - and re-assess then.

Name me one International manager who has made it in the PL who didnt really have much of a club career before they made it as an International Manager.

Loew needs to cut it at club football first IMO

The Czec manager at Villa was a disaster.

I am certainly not advocating him for the job although I wouldn't anyway as we have a manager in charge at present. I was pointing out the exact point you make that he would be widely criticized for his lack of....

I thought it was time for Rafa to go and I was happy enough to give Roy a chance, although he was behind Kenny and Pellegrini in my list of preferences. I have no faith left in him now though, and for me he is a dead man walking. There is no point in giving him time, and there are three reasons for that: 1) I don't think he should be given money to spend in January because I don't believe in his vision for the team, 2) The contract situation (if what Broughton says is true we will have to give him a much bigger payoff if we leave it for a while), 3) Results are terrible and we need to turn it around quickly.

For me the question is: is there someone who is good enough as a long-term option who is available now, or do we put Kenny in charge as an interim manager until the end of the season? Loew and Hamann is an interesting suggestion, although obviously it would be a bit of a risk.

In my opinion, Hodgson has to be replaced immediately. A disastrous choice from the outset, he has quickly demonstrated that in all facets of football management at this level, he is totally without clue.

Give the job the Kenny until the end of the season - ensuring respectability at the very least - and re-assess then.

I see no point in this unless you are not going to spend any money in January, Why let a manager have fund in January who wont be around the following season.

Thats why I would replace Roy imediately with Kenny as caretaker manager with a view to appointing the right long term manager in December prior to the January transfer window

If were positive and act now and give the job to someone like Owen Coyle then we could still make 4th this season.

Guest ShoePiss

If Pellegrini is willing to take the job I'd fire Hodgson today.

No room for sentiment, he's doing exactly what was expected; making us play like relegation fodder. We have players that can play football, it's nowhere near as bad a squad as some would like to believe. If his interviews are anything to go by his man management skills are appalling and I don't think we can afford to stick with the current set up.

I've said before that if we'd had the same results but had shown something positive in the way we play I'd be far more inclined to give him time but we are still playing like complete strangers which is quite an impressive feat considering the vast majority of this team have played together for a number of seasons.

I've never been one to knee jerk before and I realise after 7 games it is a knee jerk reaction but it's just how I feel, I've never felt so convinced a manager had to leave since Souness was here.

I see no point in this unless you are not going to spend any money in January, Why let a manager have fund in January who wont be around the following season.

Thats why I would replace Roy imediately with Kenny as caretaker manager with a view to appointing the right long term manager in December prior to the January transfer window

If were positive and act now and give the job to someone like Owen Coyle then we could still make 4th this season.

We can't sensibly replace Roy with Kenny now, with a view to replacing Kenny with A.N.Other in Dec/Jan.

Personally, I'd be quite happy to see Kenny appointed now until the end of the season, and given the funds to spend in January depending upon where our aspirations for the season are at that stage. So if we're safe and with little to play for, let's wait until the summer for any major spend on the squad. If we're chasing a trophy/champions league spot, trust Kenny with some cash.

Then, at the end of the season, review the situation.

I didn't want Rafa sacked nor did I want him to be succeded by Hodgson but I'm prepared to give Hodgson time, unless the situation becomes disasterous - a real fear of finishing in the bottom half, not contending for trophies and top players leaving - I think we should only begin looking at his position after about three seasons.

And category 4 & 5 are the same thing.

We are already there which is why he needs to go. He works quickly...

If Kenny gets the job of Manager till the end of the season, he then buys players who he likes etc and then moves into a possible Director of football role the following season, might work but would we as a club use the Coach and DOF route.

The American way is kinda coach and DOF (general manager I think they call it), the only problem with this is that if the Coach and DoF have different ideas in game style ..ie Hodgson and Kenny would not really work ... Kenny wants Turan..Hodgson wants Poulson

I can see why his credentials would earn him patience. Essentially, though, it's the managers performance at Liverpool which matters. That is what any credible assessment should be based on. In my view, no such assessment can be made until a few years into his reign when we can look at transfers, league positions etc.

His record at past clubs should only have been looked at - I'm talking about those in charge, here - in the context of his suitability for the job in the first place. Any serious examination would have ruled him out, however on taking the job, I don't think it's then fair to bring up his record as justification to sack him.

He wasn't suitable for the job here in the first place... and if we wait three years, we'll be playing in the First Division.....

I actually think Roy's been a remarkable success. If he were not here, we'd probably be higher up in the table and we would still have Cancer and Aids ownership as they would have been able to market the club as still being competitive to investors.... Thanks Roy, job done... Move along.

If Kenny gets the job of Manager till the end of the season, he then buys players who he likes etc and then moves into a possible Director of football role the following season, might work but would we as a club use the Coach and DOF route.

The American way is kinda coach and DOF (general manager I think they call it), the only problem with this is that if the Coach and DoF have different ideas in game style ..ie Hodgson and Kenny would not really work ... Kenny wants Turan..Hodgson wants Poulson

I'm not advocating this but if you do go down this route then the DoF is responsible for recruiting the coach.

He then goes out and gets a coach who shares his philosphy on the game and the way it should be played.

We can't sensibly replace Roy with Kenny now, with a view to replacing Kenny with A.N.Other in Dec/Jan.

Personally, I'd be quite happy to see Kenny appointed now until the end of the season, and given the funds to spend in January depending upon where our aspirations for the season are at that stage. So if we're safe and with little to play for, let's wait until the summer for any major spend on the squad. If we're chasing a trophy/champions league spot, trust Kenny with some cash.

Then, at the end of the season, review the situation.

The difference is Kenny is only a caretaker manager, a caretaker manager is exactly that look after the team until we appoint a full time manager.

If they go down the DOF route then that is the Job for Kenny no one in football could do it better

There is no point in giving him time, and there are three reasons for that: 1) I don't think he should be given money to spend in January because I don't believe in his vision for the team,

That's the key for me. He's taking a squad built for a 4231 pressure and passing game and trying to make it a 442 long ball team. There's nothing progressive or modern about what he wants to do.

The benefit should be the simplicity of the system, but the players don't look comfortable at all. Is there a top team in the world that plays 442?

This is kinda why we need Kenny in that role (DoF) and get a Coach in his ilk (or kinda learning form Kenny), with regards to Hodgson if we win tomorrow I can see that changing a few peoples minds about him, when in reality it should not he is not good enough.

If you read my post earlier http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/2499702-post1121.html (yeah most will have bypassed it as its massive), you will get an idea of why I feel this way 35 years of mediocraty and abject failure with a season or two of luck.

In no way am I discreditting the title he has won but the standard of leagues are alot lower than the premiership/serieA. When he eventually went to a big club it just does not work.

If as we believe NESV are all stats men with regards to Players/coaches etc then I can't see them keeping Roy as his win Ratio is very poor, I would post it up here but making a table is a pain so i'll just give you the wiki link Roy Hodgson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(the table is pretty much at the bottom).

When a manager has had nearly as much draws as wins in his/her career then it can only mean one thing average.

Roy Hodgson = Mr Average

Edited by Lubeh