You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that's true.

What Roy needs to do is find the right balance, and when Gerrard is in centre mid there's never any balance. Gerrard needs to be alongside Torres or on the right wing, where he is best.

I don't think sticking 2 attack minded midfielders next to each other is a good thing, the first half of Istanbul proved that, every team needs a ball winning midfielder, be it Lucas or Poulsen.

I wouldn't have a problem with Roy playing Lucas & Meireles in midfield and Gerrard ahead of them. What I don't want to see is Lucas & Poulsen in the midfield together, Poulsen on the pitch at any point or Meireles on the wing in another narrow formation.

Some relevant points there mate but there is a world of difference between Everton and that AC Milan side with Kaka at the peak of his powers.

We should let most of this league worry about us. It isn't rocket science for one to sit and one to go and vice versa. Stevie and Meireles are both dynamic midfielders who can do everything to a good standard, better in Stevie's case obviously and it baffles me that in modern football you never get all round midfielders who can do everything nowadays. I suppose the last two were Keane and Vieira.

I would love us to go Stevie and Meireles CM Cole left Johnson right with Dirk and Torres up front. I fear for us if Lucas and especially Poulsen play there.

How was Benitez a thorn in the boards side?

Because he was on to them, and being lied to about transfer funding.

Benitez flushed them out as early at May 2007,he complained about lack of funds the day after the defeat in Athens

Hahahaha,look at my green squares,where's that Mong Ezequiel to make them all red again

Benitez flushed them out as early at May 2007,he complained about lack of funds the day after the defeat in Athens

Hahahaha,look at my green squares,where's that Mong Ezequiel to make them all red again

He must have turned a blind eye to what they were up to when he signed his new and improved 5 year deal then.

So he was a thorn in the side of the board who are obviously pro-owners, considering the fact that they practically waged civil war against them on their own website less than a week ago?

I don't buy it.

Benitez was replaced because of his performance, in my opinion.

Guest TesticleOReilly
So he was a thorn in the side of the board who are obviously pro-owners, considering the fact that they practically waged civil war against them on their own website less than a week ago?

I don't buy it.

Tom Hicks' previous in running sports franchises points to anything but Benitez being removed purely due to footballing reasons.

Seriously, go on...

Start with the endless issues with Parry. Then take Athens, then take "I'm concentrating on coaching..." stuff, then take senior sources stuff, and on and on. You may disagree with Benitez about the issues, but he was a thorn. No wonder he was fired...

Seriously, go on...

I don't buy it.

I havn't a clue

Start with the endless issues with Parry. Then take Athens, then take "I'm concentrating on coaching..." stuff, then take senior sources stuff, and on and on. You may disagree with Benitez about the issues, but he was a thorn. No wonder he was fired...

That's the owners, not the board. People are obviously of the belief that Purslow was the reason that Benitez left, but Purslow just acted in a way to screw the owners over in the past week or so.

Because, right or wrong, he fought them to highlight how the club is being fucked under the current owners?

Aren't the board doing that now? I find it hard to believe that Purslow and Broughton would remove a manager for fighting with the owners, only to then go and wage war with them themselves just a couple of months later?

Some relevant points there mate but there is a world of difference between Everton and that AC Milan side with Kaka at the peak of his powers.

We should let most of this league worry about us. It isn't rocket science for one to sit and one to go and vice versa. Stevie and Meireles are both dynamic midfielders who can do everything to a good standard, better in Stevie's case obviously and it baffles me that in modern football you never get all round midfielders who can do everything nowadays. I suppose the last two were Keane and Vieira.

I would love us to go Stevie and Meireles CM Cole left Johnson right with Dirk and Torres up front. I fear for us if Lucas and especially Poulsen play there.

The problem is though, if you give anyone space in midfield, they'll make you pay. Look at Charlie Adam, he had so much fun in the middle of the park because Poulsen never even got near him.

I suppose the lack of all round midfielders has something to do with strikers, most teams used to have a little and large combination, now you've got strikers who can hold the ball up and run behind defenders like Torres & Drogba. I reckon Essien & Fletcher are the closest things to all round midfielders in the game today, and Gerrard of course!

If Poulsen plays we'll lose, he's one of the worst players I've seen in the premier league, it just means Gerrard has to carry him for 90 minutes and do all the work for him, he's really useless at everything.

None of the people defending Hodgson seem to have answered my question, which is fair enough as there are a lot of posts in this thread. But if you genuinely believe Hodgson should be given time, do you therefore want to see him spend our transfer budget in January? And next summer? Do you want to see Hodgson's Liverpool in a year from now? Obviously we don't know exactly what that would look like, but it's fair to extrapolate from the approach his previous clubs have taken on the field, and from what we've seen from him so far, isn't it? He's said himself that he's not going to change his philosophy or approach.

Why should we give him time with all that in mind?