You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm intrigued by Pellegrini and would be happy to see him in charge at some point but let's be honest, that's all just dressing up a fact that he has done nothing really. I could list lots of mini-achievements by Hodgson like you have done.

The proof is in the pudding and that is managing LFC, something Hodgson has been doing for far too short a period of time to be judged.

That's just how I see it. I have to say that it does rankle with me that the same people who were so critical of those who wanted Benitez to be replaced after six years, are the same ones who are now holding the exact same views about Hodgson after such a short period of time in charge.

I will bite on that one Ian because you quoted my post plus i was a defender of Rafa whilst he was here.

For what its worth i wanted Rafa gone at the end of last season as we were regressing rather then progressing on the pitch as i think the constant board room battles had taken its toll.

One of the reasons why i defended Rafa was at the end of his first season we finished 5th and won the Champions League whilst losing in the final of the Carling Cup.

After then we won the FA Cup and lost in another Champions League final whilst finally managing a sustained title challenge finshing with a record points total for us.

At the time of Rafa's departure and the proposed appointment of Hodgson i posted on here i didn't want Hodgson purely down to the style he plays.

It comes of no surprise at all to see us playing the negative boring shite we are gettign served up week in week out as it was fully expected under Hodgson.

For what its worth i wouldn't sack Hodgson at this moment in time but if the take over does happen then as the transfer window approaches i would then be looking at exactly what state the club is in on the pitch as regards what the best course of action is.

I will bite on that one Ian because you quoted my post plus i was a defender of Rafa whilst he was here.

For what its worth i wanted Rafa gone at the end of last season as we were regressing rather then progressing on the pitch as i think the constant board room battles had taken its toll.

One of the reasons why i defended Rafa was at the end of his first season we finished 5th and won the Champions League whilst losing in the final of the Carling Cup.

After then we won the FA Cup and lost in another Champions League final whilst finally managing a sustained title challenge finshing with a record points total for us.

At the time of Rafa's departure and the proposed appointment of Hodgson i posted on here i didn't want Hodgson purely down to the style he plays.

It comes of no surprise at all to see us playing the negative boring shite we are gettign served up week in week out as it was fully expected under Hodgson.

For what its worth i wouldn't sack Hodgson at this moment in time but if the take over does happen then as the transfer window approaches i would then be looking at exactly what state the club is in on the pitch as regards what the best course of action is.

I wasn't alluding to you, specifically. I probably should have said, apologies.

We will not be relegated and i think we will be mid table this season. And i honestly think Roy is not the man to bring us no.19 so why we keep insisting give that man a season? Is this mentality of "Sacking manager in just 7 games" make no sense working on us?

i think its the whole "were liverpool we dont do that" mentality,to an extent i agree but why cut off your nose to spite your face,why prolong a problem just because of how it makes us look to everyone else.

hes not good enough,sack him,get kenny in,steady the ship while looking for a capable man to get us back on track,if that includes kenny im good with that.

Unfair or abrupt

Rioch for Wenger

Ranieri for Mourinho

Ramos for Redknapp

Ince for Allardyce

The right decision is never too early, it's just right.

People will still argue though, except Roy at his age was never 'long-term' anyway.

Not too convinced by either Pellegrini or Dalglish/Rush either.

Perhaps June 2011 a better candidate might emerge.

Unfair or abrupt

Rioch for Wenger

Ranieri for Mourinho

Ramos for Redknapp

Ince for Allardyce

People will still argue though, except Roy at his age was never 'long-term' anyway.

They all had considerably more time in charge than Hodgson has had so far.

They all had considerably more time in charge than Hodgson has had so far.

Well, not much more in Ince's case and Ramos had an excellent pedigree in Spain and won Spurs a trophy a few months before he was dumped!

Ranieri and Rioch had both improved their teams.

We lose next Sunday and you know what will happen, mate. Reality's reality.

Based on most reports we get to read the team is working on "the shape" most of the time in the training sessions. That is what Hodgson's footballing philosophy is based on. And he will continue doing it his way, no doubt about that, and it is all he can do, or should do, really. He was hired here with the full knowledge of that fact.

But is "the shape" of the team where the problems last season really were? I always thought that we were extremely disciplined, some others described us as robotic, always doing what was instructed. Some even saw that as our main problem.

Hodgson's future will depend on understanding the team, its needs, the characteristics of the players. Then adapting to that. Benitez did that successfully for a while, then forgot that it is easier for one person to adapt to what 25 people might bring to the team (by lots of little changes here and there) than trying to make the 25 others do exactly as instructed.

Some people make it out like we would have been top of the league if Rafa stayed, to me its just as likely we would be in an even worse position than we are right now.

By all means criticize the signing of Poulsen, but who knows who Rafa would have brought in, Ian Harte to play left back?

The discussion is based on assumptions and it certainly seems to ignore the fact Rafa`s record in the transfer market since 2007 has been abysmal at best and that there have been crowned two World Cup winners since last time we won anyhing.

Unfair or abrupt

Rioch for Wenger

Ranieri for Mourinho

Ramos for Redknapp

Ince for Allardyce

Agree with that. While I can see the sense in people saying that a manager needs time in the job before being judged, what we have to ask ourselves is: what is he actually building towards? If we give him this time, what is going to be the end result on the field? So far we've seen atrocious decisions in the transfer market and an unimaginative, unappealing, unsuccessful variety of football, which may well get better, but will always retain its hallmarks of negativity and (to put it politely) functionality. If the squad needs rebuilding - and clearly it does - should it be rebuilt in his hands and with his system in mind? If the answer to that question is no (and to me it is) then why should he remain in the job until January?

Well, not much more in Ince's case and Ramos had an excellent pedigree in Spain and won Spurs a trophy a few months before he was dumped!

Ranieri and Rioch had both improved their teams.

We lose next Sunday and you know what will happen, mate. Reality's reality.

Agree with that partially Steve, Ramos winning the league cup is akin to GH taking credit for Istanbul in a respect though. I could be wrong (apologies if I am) but weren't they in the final or at least the semis when he took over anyway?

I would say it is how we lose that could be the important issue next week. Derbies can go either way and are normally quite tight, small details etc, one of the more one sided Goodison derbies for instance recently we somehow lost 3-0 and we didn't get the rub of the green with a couple of stonewall penalties and we had a bucketful of chances. I came out of the ground that day in shock it how we were on the end of such a scoreline.

If we lost playing like we have done this year then the axe could fall, if we lost having played well with Roy knowing he is learning from the many mistakes he has made so far then in a way then they may persevere for a while longer who knows. Of course, for derbies in particular the result is everything I suppose and this is one game where if we get a scrappy backs to the wall win say then it shouldn't be frowned upon too much.

Agree with that. While I can see the sense in people saying that a manager needs time in the job before being judged, what we have to ask ourselves is: what is he actually building towards? If we give him this time, what is going to be the end result on the field? So far we've seen atrocious decisions in the transfer market and an unimaginative, unappealing, unsuccessful variety of football, which may well get better, but will always retain its hallmarks of negativity and (to put it politely) functionality. If the squad needs rebuilding - and clearly it does - should it be rebuilt in his hands and with his system in mind? If the answer to that question is no (and to me it is) then why should he remain in the job until January?

Nice, you have just said what's on my mind. I would like to add in a few more, he's 63 and do we think he could bring us no.19 before he retired or we have to rebuilt all over again under a new manager.