You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Good point. I've not forgotten how our senior players acted last season and it seems they might be upto their old tricks again. However comes in next must be strong enough to drop these fuckers if they dont perform and they must have the full backing of the board otherwise it's goin to happen all over again if and when we get a bad set of results.

I disagree. I believe that it's one of the main attributes that you need as a manager, to keep your best players happy. If they're not happy, then they won't perform and you won't get results.

There were a lot of people on here saying that players such as Gerrard, Carra, Torres, Reina etc should have been dropped if they were unhappy with the previous boss. That is just wrong, in my opinion.

I've just read Kenny's book (I know, I sound like a broken record!) and in it he was talking about how important it is to be a good man-manager. After the 5-0 win against Forest in '88, he told all the players about how good they were and lavished them with praise. He said that there were still things that could be improved upon but if he'd pointed them out after such a performance, he'd have 'lost the players' (direct quote).

I couldn't agree more.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TesticleOReilly
I think you misread me,

I only come on here for a laugh when I'm bored,you might take it serious,i take it with a pinch of salt.

Where's

N'gog we trust

Testicles O'Riley

Tom R

and that king of boffs Ezequiel when you need them

Any idea what the word 'irony' means?

psst it's not like goldy, or bronzy.

It's got nothing to do with the board. The reason there was patience with Benitez was because he came here with a brilliant recent track record and was one of if not the most successful young managers in world football. However things turned out six years later, Hodgson's record is and was poor in comparison.

That's double standards to me. I appreciate the point but anyone who takes over deserves time, in my view.

I bet Pellegrini would have gotten more patience but he's never won anything either.

You could apply all of that to the change of manager.

Right to get rid of him, but replacement not up to the job = overall a poor decision to get rid of him.

No, those are two different decisions. One can be good, and the other can be poor... they aren't interconnected.

Getting £30m for Alonso wasn't a bad deal, overall... not buying a like-for-like replacement was a colossal error.

I agree mate 7 league games is too early but i would loathe to be going into the transfer window and letting Hodgson spend our budget if we are still struggling.

There has to be a point where you say enough is enough and cut our losses if the form continues.

I think we have Everton, Bolton, Blakcburn and Chelsea coming up and i have to be honest i would predict 3 points from those 4 games.

If that is the case then we could potentially have 9 points from 11 games (even worse if points get docked from administration) and that is serious relegation form.

Of course there is the flip side to that and we could get 9 or even 12 points from those games and be right up there challenging for Europe but at this point in time im not confident.

At what point Ian would you say is the time when you would think about sacking the manager.

I don't know, Coop. It's not something that you can simply decide beforehand, i.e. i'm going to judge x, after y. There are too many variables.

I'll know when i've made my mind up. Deep down, I think Hodgson probably will fail but I can't be sure, certainly not after such a small amount of time.

Brownie, I agree, we are not a club that sacks it's managers, but we're also not a club that sits in the relegation places, or goes cap in hand to the banks, either. We've not won the league in 2 decades. Football's changed.

What have you seen that makes you want to continue with Roy? We have a team that finished 7th, lost our DM, brought in a dinosaur in Poulsen, have brought in one of Roy's players from the team that he guided to 11th last year, the same player that's been responsible for 4 goals so far down the left, and who would have been after Zamora had he stayed fit. Add in the abject performances, the likes of which you saw first-hand, and what do you see changing?

Not enough.

That's double standards to me. I appreciate the point but anyone who takes over deserves time, in my view.

I bet Pellegrini would have gotten more patience but he's never won anything either.

Pellegrini would have got more time due to his method of playing football.

Me personally i would have no problem with Hodgson and our league position if we were playign some good football and trying to win games with attacking intent but due to us getting used to a new system are struggling.

The thing is we are not.

We are losing games due to not attacking and when we do cross the halfway line we seem void of idea's.

Pellegrini has won things outside of Europe and in one of the top leagues wthin Europe he managed to get unfancied Villareal into the Champions Leauge semi final and set i think a points record for Real Madrid.

All done whilst playing attractive, attacking football.

I disagree. I believe that it's one of the main attributes that you need as a manager, to keep your best players happy. If they're not happy, then they won't perform and you won't get results.

There were a lot of people on here saying that players such as Gerrard, Carra, Torres, Reina etc should have been dropped if they were unhappy with the previous boss. That is just wrong, in my opinion.

I've just read Kenny's book (I know, I sound like a broken record!) and in it he was talking about how important it is to be a good man-manager. After the 5-0 win against Forest in '88, he told all the players about how good they were and lavished them with praise. He said that there were still things that could be improved upon but if he'd pointed them out after such a performance, he'd have 'lost the players' (direct quote).

I couldn't agree more.

I haven't got a problem with keeping your players happy. What I do have a problem with though is player power. Players goin over the managers head talking to the press the chairman the chief executive etc.... We need a leader, someone who is fair, but someone who the players respect and know not to step out of line with. Thats what we need and it can be achieved. You only have to look at Man Utd over the last 20 years to see that. Anyone who went above their station was shown the door, yet the trophies kept coming in. The same thing used to happen at our club under Shankly and Paisley and i'd lke to see that somehow brought back.

True, but for me his record is a good deal more impressive than Hodgson's too (second in the league with his small unfashionable team as opposed to Fulham's 12th, record points total for Real before getting sacked).

We'd probably also have been playing something vaguely resembling football (assuming any of us were able to recognise it anymore).

Pellegrini would have got more time due to his method of playing football.

Me personally i would have no problem with Hodgson and our league position if we were playign some good football and trying to win games with attacking intent but due to us getting used to a new system are struggling.

The thing is we are not.

We are losing games due to not attacking and when we do cross the halfway line we seem void of idea's.

Pellegrini has won things outside of Europe and in one of the top leagues wthin Europe he managed to get unfancied Villareal into the Champions Leauge semi final and set i think a points record for Real Madrid.

All done whilst playing attractive, attacking football.

I'm intrigued by Pellegrini and would be happy to see him in charge at some point but let's be honest, that's all just dressing up a fact that he has done nothing really. I could list lots of mini-achievements by Hodgson like you have done.

The proof is in the pudding and that is managing LFC, something Hodgson has been doing for far too short a period of time to be judged.

That's just how I see it. I have to say that it does rankle with me that the same people who were so critical of those who wanted Benitez to be replaced after six years, are the same ones who are now holding the exact same views about Hodgson after such a short period of time in charge.

True, but for me his record is a good deal more impressive than Hodgson's too (second in the league with his small unfashionable team as opposed to Fulham's 12th, record points total for Real before getting sacked).

We'd probably also have been playing something vaguely resembling football (assuming any of us were able to recognise it anymore).

There again, it totally comes down to pre-judgement. I'm not saying that people should have the exact same expectations regardless of the candidate, but surely the rules should be the same once the guy is in the job?

I haven't got a problem with keeping your players happy. What I do have a problem with though is player power. Players goin over the managers head talking to the press the chairman the chief executive etc.... We need a leader, someone who is fair, but someone who the players respect and know not to step out of line with. Thats what we need and it can be achieved. You only have to look at Man Utd over the last 20 years to see that. Anyone who went above their station was shown the door, yet the trophies kept coming in. The same thing used to happen at our club under Shankly and Paisley and i'd lke to see that somehow brought back.

If 90% of the squad want the manager gone, then what do you do? Sell them all and just replace them?

Not for me. If lots of players are unhappy, then it's because the manager is failing, in my opinion. There will always be some unhappy players and I agree that they need to be dealt with, but when it's a major issue in terms of numbers, then it's a different story.

The real worry about Roy was always his record with transfers. I remember at Blackburn he impressed in the first year or so and then just went wild spending money on absolute shite. So far his early forays into the transfer market here have been less than impressive also. We need a name, we need a bonanza, a statement that - if and when we change hands - we're back.

If 90% of the squad want the manager gone, then what do you do? Sell them all and just replace them?

Not for me. If lots of players are unhappy, then it's because the manager is failing, in my opinion. There will always be some unhappy players and I agree that they need to be dealt with, but when it's a major issue in terms of numbers, then it's a different story.

Oh I agree with you. For me it's the manager we have at the moment thats the problem with his shit ale-house tactics. Last season I think its was the players.

Stop chatting shit. If you want to put down Pellegrini, at least get your facts straight.

I don't want to put him down, i've been very complimentary to him. Hodgson has won stuff in Scandanavia and Pellegrini has won stuff in South America. I don't count either of those achievements as being noteable enough to mention, hence the point.

You sound like a very bitter person.