You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Agree with that partially Steve, Ramos winning the league cup is akin to GH taking credit for Istanbul in a respect though. I could be wrong (apologies if I am) but weren't they in the final or at least the semis when he took over anyway?

You're probably right but I do remember they took Arsenal apart in that semi and that for Spurs is like money in the bank; think Moyes and that 3-0!

If we play well and still lose next week I'd hope people were big enough to admit and say they saw signs of improvement.

Judging by this place how likely is that do you reckon?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for the neg, Brownie. Thank fuck it's me that's bitter, eh?!

As for Gerrard, if he was so much for getting Rafa out, shouldn't he be performing a bit better now that we have a new manager?

Either way, Hodgson is a dead man walking and thank fuck for that.

Disagreeing isn't being bitter.

Hodgson and the other five managers who applied for the job did so in the belief that Rafa had a left a first-class squad that underperformed for only one season because of injuries and the poor form of the senior players. All it needed, they believed, was a little tweaking to get back into the top four. Hodgson has said as much. In fact he said the squad was overstaffed and he approved the sale and loaning out of some of its most promising players.

It was only when that first-class squad he inherited - now depleted and downgraded by his and Purslow's transfers and loans - started to play badly that he declared that it was short of 5 or 6 strong players.

Actually Rafa had said it needed 3-4 new players . That's why Broughton and Purslow forced him out with the compliance of the owners who did not want to be subjected to pressure from the manager to improve the squad. Hodgson was hired because he undertook not to ask for new players and because he would let Purslow play manager in the transfer market.

There again, it totally comes down to pre-judgement. I'm not saying that people should have the exact same expectations regardless of the candidate, but surely the rules should be the same once the guy is in the job?

I don't think they should be, no. For a start, that presupposes we have faith in the people appointing them, which speaking personally I don't and haven't for many years. For another thing, the club's been facing a unique set of problems recently – to me, Hodgson was brought in as the best available candidate at a time when the ownership of the club was in chaos/crisis, with a brief of not getting us relegated while God knows what took place off the field.

I don't personally think he's up to that anyway, but more importantly if and when we have anything resembling proper owners again, the brief of the job changes immediately. Hodgson was brought in to help us survive (not that he seems very competent at it so far). If we're looking to succeed, we need a new man.

He's got to go, hasn't he?

Maybe when he does, and we get someone worthy of the position, we can stop talking about Benitez.

Kenny stepping into dead man's shoes, and no one cares about the corpse.

Unlike July......

Still looks very pally with Purslow doesn't he?

*Hears Twilight Zone tune in distance*

I don't think they should be, no. For a start, that presupposes we have faith in the people appointing them, which speaking personally I don't and haven't for many years. For another thing, the club's been facing a unique set of problems recently – to me, Hodgson was brought in as the best available candidate at a time when the ownership of the club was in chaos/crisis, with a brief of not getting us relegated while God knows what took place off the field.

I don't personally think he's up to that anyway, but more importantly if and when we have anything resembling proper owners again, the brief of the job changes immediately. Hodgson was brought in to help us survive (not that he seems very competent at it so far). If we're looking to succeed, we need a new man.

Well I think it's totally unfair to have different rules for different people under the same circumstances.

You're probably right but I do remember they took Arsenal apart in that semi and that for Spurs is like money in the bank; think Moyes and that 3-0!

If we play well and still lose next week I'd hope people were big enough to admit and say they saw signs of improvement.

Not very likely sadly Steve I agree.

If Roy is going to go then I would like him to go down fighting, perfect place to start next Sunday. Always painful to lose a derby of course but it would be more tolerable if there was a possible sign of the green shoots of recovery and Roy has had time to ponder things during the International break about how he is going to approach the next few games. If Lucas and/or Poulsen start then he will lose the last seeds of goodwill from a remaining few.

It could be a season maker or managership breaker. I really hope it is the former but I suspect not everybody hopes for the same as they seek some kind of vindication.

Some people make it out like we would have been top of the league if Rafa stayed, to me its just as likely we would be in an even worse position than we are right now.

By all means criticize the signing of Poulsen, but who knows who Rafa would have brought in, Ian Harte to play left back?

The discussion is based on assumptions and it certainly seems to ignore the fact Rafa`s record in the transfer market since 2007 has been abysmal at best and that there have been crowned two World Cup winners since last time we won anyhing.

We'd be bottom two?

You ruin any sensible point you're trying to make!

As likely as us playing well in the first place?

It didn't answer the question though, hence my post.

In the press conference to unveil Hodgson, Broughton quite clearly stated that Hodgson winning the Manager of the Year award was a factor in their decision. The question was, 'why did he get the job?'

So, it did answer the question.

Cheers for the neg, Brownie. Thank fuck it's me that's bitter, eh?!

As for Gerrard, if he was so much for getting Rafa out, shouldn't he be performing a bit better now that we have a new manager?

Either way, Hodgson is a dead man walking and thank fuck for that.

Your last line on that post. Can I ask you, how do you hope we get on in the derby?

Gotta love how the TARTs are suddenly proclaiming the squad as shit. Last season it was opposite, they were shouting their heads off that Rafa wasn't getting the most out of the players and we should at least be expecting a title challenge. All we needed was a good man manager that could make the team perform as they should.

Some of them even promoted Hodgson and wanted him to get the job!

Ignoring the schoolboy style opening line , did you not think the team was under performing last season? Do you think we should have done better against Portsmouth , Wigan ,Wolves, Birmingham and Reading?

You seem to be very vociferous here so I assume that you are now going to the games?