You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hicks on the offensive

BurtReynolds

Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks is determined to battle for control at Anfield after refusing to conform to chairman Martin Broughton's authority.

Broughton, who was instated in April to oversee the sale of the club, revealed on Wednesday that Hicks tried to sack managing director Christian Purslow and commercial director Ian Ayre and appoint his own people in an attempt to obstruct a £300million deal with New England Sports Venues (NESV), owners of the Boston Red Sox.

The internal strife at the club continued as Broughton blocked that move, insisting Hicks signed agreements not to oppose the sale when they received an extension to their refinancing deal with the Royal Bank of Scotland earlier this year.

If the NESV deal goes through, Hicks and co-owner George Gillett stand to lose a total of £144million.

Hicks' New York-based spokesman, Mark Semer, said the Americans are disputing Broughton's claim.

Semer told Bloomberg News: "There were no such undertakings given to Broughton, the board has been legally reconstituted, and the new board does not approve of this proposed transaction."

After rejecting the attemped coup, which would have seen Hicks' son Mack and Lori McCuthcheon, of Hicks Holdings replace Purslow and Ayre, Broughton continued with the conference call board meeting even though Hicks had put the phone down.

Broughton maintains he and the other two England-based members of the board have acted appropriately, but will have to wait for that to be confirmed, with the issue set to go to the High Court next week.

So in essence someone is lying about this written undertaking document, I know which i believe and it's not Hicks. Do you think an experienced campaigner like Broughton wouldn't have sought strong legal advice before making all this public, accepting the bid , going to court if he wasn't certain he had Hicks by the balls? This Hicks guy is unbelievable he's going down all guns blazing no matter what. Humiliated

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

God I hope Broughton is right about this not taking long in court because I can't help but get a sinking feeling it could drag on and on.

1. A man of Broughton's standing and background..........I can't believe this wouldn't have checked out to the empth degree, before anything was released.

2. If the owners reckon they had the power to hire and fire the board members, why didn't they do it when they tried to put more debt on the club recently, and they were out voted?

Read it and weep fat Texas cowboy

Liverpool Articles of Association:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4746910/LFC%20company%20articles.pdf

REMOVAL OF DIRECTORS

81)

Each director appoionted to the office of chairman of the board of directors may appoint any person as a director of the company and may remove any director (other than Thomas O Hicks and/or George Gilett Jr). Any appoinment or removal will be made in writing and signed by the then current chairman

See points 48 onwards regarding voting rights.

Bottom line Cancer & Aids havent got a leg to stand on. '

1. A man of Broughton's standing and background..........I can't believe this wouldn't have checked out to the empth degree, before anything was released.

2. If the owners reckon they had the power to hire and fire the board members, why didn't they do it when they tried to put more debt on the club recently, and they were out voted?

I seriously doubt a deal of this standard, (multi million pound deal) would'nt be pushed through without it being legally sound.

Was'nt Broughton appointed to the board by RBS??? (maybe im wrong here) who are goverment owned? I can't see this not being legally ratified before any deal was agreed

He does'nt come across as a stupid man, and with that 'is at stake' i would seriously doubt all of this has'nt been thoroughly checked

Think Hicks just wants his day in court to see if he can get anything from this sale, its his last stand

I seriously doubt a deal of this standard, (multi million pound deal) would'nt be pushed through without it being legally sound.

Was'nt Broughton appointed to the board by RBS??? (maybe im wrong here) who are goverment owned? I can't see this not being legally ratified before any deal was agreed

He does'nt come across as a stupid man, and with that 'is at stake' i would seriously doubt all of this has'nt been thoroughly checked

Think Hicks just wants his day in court to see if he can get anything from this sale, its his last stand

Im sure he said in his interview yesterday he was appointed by h & g

Hicks is so stubborn that you can show him the document that he signed and he'd deny it.

Didn't Gillette deny making the 'Spade in the ground' comment even after he was shown quotes or some video a fan had made at the presser??

It just goes to show what we're fighting to be rid of... I hope Broughton has his ducks in a row.

Hicks is so stubborn that you can show him the document that he signed and he'd deny it.

Didn't Gillette deny making the 'Spade in the ground' comment even after he was shown quotes or some video a fan had made at the presser??

It just goes to show what we're fighting to be rid of... I hope Broughton has his ducks in a row.

Nice phrase!

Read it and weep fat Texas cowboy

Liverpool Articles of Association:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4746910/LFC%20company%20articles.pdf

REMOVAL OF DIRECTORS

81)

Each director appoionted to the office of chairman of the board of directors may appoint any person as a director of the company and may remove any director (other than Thomas O Hicks and/or George Gilett Jr). Any appoinment or removal will be made in writing and signed by the then current chairman

See points 48 onwards regarding voting rights.

Bottom line Cancer & Aids havent got a leg to stand on. '

He'll try some sneaky shit like claiming the sale is at the Kop Football/Holdings level. What do the articles of incorporation say for that company?

Hicks is going to say that they can appoint directors and the chairman has to sign it off. Those articles don't say what happens if the chairman doesn't approve of an appointment or whether he has any power of veto. I hope for our sake there is another letter.

But they can't. The article clearly states that the person(s) appointed chairman has that authority, and neither Hicks nor Gillett hold that office.

Directors - Liverpool FC