You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anfield or New Anfield

Cherry Ghost

To be fair to FSG, they can't be held responsible for the years of incompetence prior to their arrival.

No they shouldn't at all. It shouldn't take 20 months to notice that every avenue has been exhausted down the years either. You either build a new one or add a small amount of seats/boxes at a cost that doesn't justify the expansion.

If FSG were remotely serious about the stadium issue and LFC in the long run, then a spade would have been in the ground months ago. Instead we're being fogged off on discussions on what plan of action to take & search for investors. Yeah right.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair to FSG, they can't be held responsible for the years of incompetence prior to their arrival.

True, we all want a resolution to this and i am sure the residents do as well.

It looks by all accounts it is an extended Anfield and as Dougie says, just treat those effected with a bit of respect, in the grand scheme of things looking after those people is a small amount to pay and can bring the club much needed good publicity.

Not that the good publicity should be the reason for doing so, just decent respect to the residents.

Yeah the club absolutely has to treat the residents of those houses, in the right way. Having said that, there are bound to be some who wouldn't be happy no matter what the club offered them, that's just the way of the world as everyone will have a different opinion on the fair price as it's a subjective point.

The only way I see these lot doing anything regarding the stadium issue, is if someone comes along and pays every last dime for them.

There’s already a loan facility in place for £120m. Expect that to be added to once we have sponsorship/naming rights for a good portion. No business man in his right mind would think they could fund a project like that without some level of loans.

If the rumours are true and we are staying at Anfield, then I'm pleased, even if it did take longer then hoped.

There’s already a loan facility in place for £120m. Expect that to be added to once we have sponsorship/naming rights for a good portion. No business man in his right mind would think they could fund a project like that without some level of loans.

If the rumours are true and we are staying at Anfield, then I'm pleased, even if it did take longer then hoped.

if we are to stay at least we know they haven't jumped in with both feet,they have taken their time and looked at the options properly.

Yeah the club absolutely has to treat the residents of those houses, in the right way. Having said that, there are bound to be some who wouldn't be happy no matter what the club offered them, that's just the way of the world as everyone will have a different opinion on the fair price as it's a subjective point.

We are still pretty light on detail.

The default position is that we are staying at Anfield.

The practicalities of remaining are uncertain. We do not know how many properties/ownerships we require to redevelop and what that redevleopment might be.

Nobody can be forced to sell unless compulsory purchase orders are obtained.That in itself is no easy process. Firstly, it is arguable whether CPO's are justified. Why should public money be used to assist a private company with foreign investors make money? Even if the Council agree to apply for them, they can be appealed against.Furthermore, some of the ownerships are in Housing Association and some in Council ownership. They are legally bound to secure the best possible price for their holding. Effectively those ownerships ransom the development. It is arguable that those ownerships will be entitled to a significant premium under Crichel Downs.

If the stands redevelopment represents part of a broader redevelopment then securing CPO's will be easier. But there is no evidence that FSG (understandably) want to be involved in public and speculative development.

Any notion that redevelpment represents an easy option will be exposed by events.

whats this about them putting a fucking screen up. in the corner of centenery/annie rd ive heard? I hate them things. get cunts watching them incase they appear on it etc.

regarding the residents, just offer them the market value of the house and 500k each !

Really disappointing to stay at Anfield to me, and even more short sighted by the owners.

I don't expect them to hand over £300m to buy the stadium, but they have done everything in their power to avoid having to build it.

I think it shows how short term they see their investment in us. They bought us for peanuts, extend the stadium at our costs, then sell us on.

This decision is about maximising their profits, rather than the long term interests of the club.

What happens in 20/30 years time?

Really disappointing to stay at Anfield to me, and even more short sighted by the owners.

I don't expect them to hand over £300m to buy the stadium, but they have done everything in their power to avoid having to build it.

I think it shows how short term they see their investment in us. They bought us for peanuts, extend the stadium at our costs, then sell us on.

This decision is about maximising their profits, rather than the long term interests of the club.

What happens in 20/30 years time?

Spot on. Expansion is just the cheapest alternative for these lot. That's the only exploring avenues this lot done.

As for what happens in 20/30 years, well by then FSG have long made their profit and are nothing but a footnote in the clubs history. As if they give a fuck what happens then.

So some want a new build as opposed to staying at our spiritual home?

Yes.

There is no way Anfield can be re-developed into a 6* stadium in line with the stadiums/capacities that get to host things like the CL final. It's also going to potentially cost about half of a new stadium to add about 10k to capacity with no ability to extend that further.

Yes.

There is no way Anfield can be re-developed into a 6* stadium in line with the stadiums/capacities that get to host things like the CL final. It's also going to potentially cost about half of a new stadium to add about 10k to capacity with no ability to extend that further.

I'll wait and see what they're planning before I get upset about this. They're supposed to have done their homework, working on the feasibility of upgrading to 60,000 minimum. Unfortunately I don't remember where I got this figure from. I'm pretty sure 60k+ means the total removal and rebuilding of stands rather than simply "adding to" any existing structure though.

Any one have any idea what the maximum attendance we could get out of a redeveloped Anfield?

No redeveloped scheme proposals have ever been made public.

Professionally, I saw a copy of a Parry/ Morgan era proposal for a 55k redevelopment building on land currently owned by LFC, but with further land required to meet Right to Light requirements.That involved a new ARE and Main Stand.

We may have acquired more land since then, but that may meet Right to light obligations only.

The rough sums are pretty easy. The current ARE holds 9,074. The largest box end stand in the country , the Holte End, holds 13,500. If you doubt that we would go bigger than that there is an extra 4.500 seats.

Our current Main Stand holds 12,224.The new triple tier Trinity Rd Stand at Villa park which holds all the amenities that a new Main Stand would be required to hold has a capacity of 12,954. The New North stand at Old trafford, also triple tier, has a capacity of 25,500.Pick somewhere inbetween.

The Villa Park Trinity Rd stand demonstates how boxes, club facilities and hospitality can gobble up capacity. The North Stand Old Trafford shows what can be done but is on a scale which I think would be unacceptable in a residential area and would require substantial land acquisition.

My guess is that a 55,000 redeveloped capacity with a 13,500 ARE and an 18,250 Main Stand will be as good as it gets.

Obviously if the Club can acquire enough aditional land then you can get to whatever figure you want. But it is that acquisition which is the problem.

Edited by xerxes

So some want a new build as opposed to staying at our spiritual home?

That is top of the list but some just do not see the economics of it. Obviously we tried to get a big naming rights partner and in todays climate it was not there, so we are doing the right and sensible thing.

At least they are fucking doing something, as apposed to false promises. Anfield will do me just nice thank you.

And I can't fucking wait, the game today is unrecognisable to the one I fell in love with.

Must be even worse for the really old cunts.

Being in that category I do not get hung up on it, everything changes and football is one of the biggest industries in the world. I just roll with it, I am addicted a junkie and I love it, well Liverpool Football Club.

I still love before and after the game, having a beer and a laugh, would not change it for the world.

Of course parts get to me but what I get out of following the reds is a lifetime of memories and friends. No way out for me.

Surely 60,000 isn't enough considering that we have at least 35,000 on the waiting list?

The trouble is, nobody knows how many of the ST waiting list are getting tickets anyway as is. so it's not like we know for sure how many more people would want tickets.

Regarding the stadium issue, if they can get the land, an expansion and updated facilities with room for further expansion sounds good to me.

It looks like they're stopping-up Anfield Road at the moment (they've demolished nearly all the houses behind and there's massive builder's compound there). Road closures take between 9-18 months to ratify and it seems this work is well underway.

If they're going to max out the development potential, I can see them keeping the bottom tier of the ARE & Main and adding a double-stacked bank of corp lounges with a new tier (with radiussed corner seating) on top. 55K sounds realistic (including the lounges).

I wouldn't be surprised if they went for the rooftop bar on the new development like they have at Fenway Park. Which is a brilliant idea - get into the ground for £10-20, watch the game on a telly and sup your head off. Also the view over the city would be amazing.