You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anfield or New Anfield

Cherry Ghost

What you're saying is correct. The club had to re design the upper tier on the Anny Road because resident behind and alongside it, objected to the proposed height (it was to have been steeper raked to allow another 4 or 5 rows).

However, Ayres says they are in negotiation to 'buy' affected resident's right to light to get around this and have made substantial progress with it. Clearly, the club arent actually buying the RTL, they are just going to give the residents compensation in agreement to allowing the club to build bigger stands. Hopefully, the legal eagles employed by the club wont be the same dullards we used for the Suarez defence and will make sure the deal to buy the RTL will be in perpetuity.

The suggestion is the club is negotiating with all affected residents and only if they all agree to the deal will redevelopment go ahead instead of a new build.

If there are any residents who dont agree, I'd expect the club to announce the naming rights package and that new build will go ahead instead.

It's the level of compensation that's probably the issue. If you have the right to injunct you can expect some serious coin in compensation, sometimes so much it makes redevelopment unviable. Only takes one blue nose!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest San Don
It's the level of compensation that's probably the issue. If you have the right to injunct you can expect some serious coin in compensation, sometimes so much it makes redevelopment unviable. Only takes one blue nose!

Well Im not certain I can put much faith in what Ayres saysat the moment but if he says the club is making great progress talking to the affected residents, perhaps they are and the figures they may be offerring (if its got to that stage) might be in everyone's ball park so to speak.

I agree.

One of the biggest loads of shite, was FSG's insistence that they would have to grow revenues rather than invest their own money, because of FFP.

Stadiums and facilities are not taken into consideration for FFP. I'm not saying they should buy us the whole stadium, but they got us for fuck all, so they could front some cash up, and with some more sponsorships and naming rights etc, it wouldn't actually hit us that much.

I'm sure it's that simple you clueless mong.

I'm talking about the houses the club or the council don't own. Ayre wouldn't have mentioned it unless its an issue.

It's more spin from Ayers,

It's a load of shite to suggest the Council or any of it's tenants are holding up any redevelopment

Just words I suppose but hopefully he's genuine.

New Liverpool stadium: MD Iain Ayre says says progress is being made - Mirror Online

Iain Ayre suggested there have been positive talks with homeowners around Anfield, reviving hopes of a redevelopment of the famous old ground

The news about Liverpool's next manager remains unclear but managing director Ian Ayre at least suggested on Tuesday there is progress being made over the plans for a new stadium.

Ayre suggested there have been positive talks with homeowners around Anfield, reviving hopes of a redevelopment of the famous old ground.

And he also revealed talks are at an advanced stage with potential sponsors for a naming rights deal, which would pave the way for a new stadium to be built.

"We want to explore both options to a solution and I think it's fair to say if we continue making progress in that area, it might move faster than we originally anticipated," he explained.

"We are already fairly well down the line with a couple of major brands who have shown significant rights in naming rights for a new stadium.

"We are also having some great dialogue with residents around Anfield but the certainty rests with other people. The work is going on and a decision will be announced when we've got certainty."

Did the prick seriously say this with a straight face.

The internet is full of cocks like you who want to throw insults around rather than address the points I've made. Either explain why you think I'm wrong or fuck off.

It takes no effort to act the hard man, but a few brain cells to use reason.

Not quite that simple, but I bet when we do finally do whatever it is that we are going to do, FSG won't be going to the banks foe a loan. They will simply loan it to us at a reasonable interest rate, and make some money off of the interest as sort of a dividend payment.

65,000 I was thinking. We know there are more than 25,000 names (a lot more in all likelyhood) on the season ticket waiting list, so if it becomes 65,000, just offer all of them a ticket, bringing the season ticket holders up to circa 50,000, leaving around 15,000 to be sold on a match to match basis.

Or am I missing something?

I think what you might not be taking into account is that the 25,000 on the waiting list are probably the people who already buy the 15,000 or so tickets which go to members/general sale. I'd like to see 65,000 too if possible but I'd be more than happy with 55,000 in a redeveloped Anfield.

Not quite that simple, but I bet when we do finally do whatever it is that we are going to do, FSG won't be going to the banks foe a loan. They will simply loan it to us at a reasonable interest rate, and make some money off of the interest as sort of a dividend payment.

Of course they fucking will, don't kid yourself.

It's more spin from Ayers,

It's a load of shite to suggest the Council or any of it's tenants are holding up any redevelopment

Like I said before I'm talking about properties not owned by the council, therefore I'm not suggesting this.

I think what you might not be taking into account is that the 25,000 on the waiting list are probably the people who already buy the 15,000 or so tickets which go to members/general sale. I'd like to see 65,000 too if possible but I'd be more than happy with 55,000 in a redeveloped Anfield.

Yeah I did think that the pool of fans who buy the available tickets on a match to match basis may get season tickets, meaning that they're obviously no longer going to buy. In that case, why not have even more season tickets (say 55,000 out of 65,000) and then just sell 10,000 on a match day basis? I know that's a bit radical but it could suit our circumstances?

I think it's quite clever to basically say to residents we can offer you compensation but if you want to hold the club to random then we've got other options and you stay where you are and we'll build a new stadium with a naming rights partner.

Yeah I did think that the pool of fans who buy the available tickets on a match to match basis may get season tickets, meaning that they're obviously no longer going to buy. In that case, why not have even more season tickets (say 55,000 out of 65,000) and then just sell 10,000 on a match day basis? I know that's a bit radical but it could suit our circumstances?

I think it would if we were successful again but I have big doubts that we'd sell more than 55,000 for 90% of our games if we weren't. I also have a big worry that the current football bubble will burst sooner or later (every fashion has its day and the current business model for football looks unsustainable in the long term) and I'd hate us to be in hock to the banks again for a white elephant we can't fill.

I think it's quite clever to basically say to residents we can offer you compensation but if you want to hold the club to random then we've got other options and you stay where you are and we'll build a new stadium with a naming rights partner.

We should appoint a top firm of agents experienced in acquisitions for major developments to negotiate options to buy in all necessary land interests. Even if we had to pay twice market value it would be cheaper in the long term. We should have started this process 18 months ago.

It is not quite like that.

We do not know what level of compensation the club is offering. It is perfectly possible however that the residents would be better off staying put, hoping that the club moves to Stanley Park, and making more money from selling their land to subsequent commercial/residential development around the periphery.

The blight caused by a huge stand overshadowing your house is considerable. Whether the club is prepared to offer the appropriate premium remains to be seen.

I do not share any enthusiasm for the sort of redevelopment that is likely, whilst having nothing against redevelopment in an ideal world. Existing land holdings and infrastructure considerations mean that the Centenary and Kop stands are likely to remain as is. So what redevelopment is likely to mean is a new Annie Rd and Main Stand – that is only half a ground. The Annie Rd has limitations with regards to what facilities it can offer as an “end”. So in practise most of the improvements which we would seek from an entire new ground will be loaded into one stand, the Main Stand. Once new dressing room, Directors facilities, media facilities and player amenities are factored in, there will not be significant scope for enhanced money making hospitality facilities.

Edited by xerxes

Guest San Don
It is not quite like that.

We do not know what level of compensation the club is offering. It is perfectly possible however that the residents would be better off staying put, hoping that the club moves to Stanley Park, and making more money from selling their land to subsequent commercial/residential development around the periphery.

The blight caused by a huge stand overshadowing your house is considerable. Whether the club is prepared to offer the appropriate premium remains to be seen.

I do not share any enthusiasm for the sort of redevelopment that is likely, whilst having nothing against redevelopment in an ideal world. Existing land holdings and infrastructure considerations mean that the Centenary and Kop stands are likely to remain as is. So what redevelopment is likely to mean is a new Annie Rd and Main Stand – that is only half a ground. The Annie Rd has limitations with regards to what facilities it can offer as an “end”. So in practise most of the improvements which we would seek from an entire new ground will be loaded into one stand, the Main Stand. Once new dressing room, Directors facilities, media facilities and player amenities are factored in, there will not be significant scope for enhanced money making hospitality facilities.

Actually, you're totally wrong about the Anny Road end. Should the club obtain permission, it could build over the road almost back to the current boundary with the park where the matchday 'Food Village' is. This would mean the Anny road would be bigger than the Kop (as is) although that seems to offend people who want to stay and re develop.

I agree the Centenary and Kop would likely remain as is.

We should appoint a top firm of agents experienced in acquisitions for major developments to negotiate options to buy in all necessary land interests. Even if we had to pay twice market value it would be cheaper in the long term. We should have started this process 18 months ago.

That make sense - if the club is committed to redevelopment.

Professionally, I have spent a quarter of a century in land acquisition. It is a long, tedious, expensive, uncertian business. There is always someone waiting to ransom you.

The Club is in a pretty weak position. The local community would certainly be better off from an amenity perspective with a Stanley Park/ Anfield Plaza solution. Land owners may be better off financially too.

If the Club is serious it needs to make joint offers which are too good to refuse, but will always be vulnerable to objections at planning from those who have not been compensated.

Ayre presents redevelopment as a soft option- it is not.

Actually, you're totally wrong about the Anny Road end. Should the club obtain permission, it could build over the road almost back to the current boundary with the park where the matchday 'Food Village' is. This would mean the Anny road would be bigger than the Kop (as is) although that seems to offend people who want to stay and re develop.

No, you are wrong.

My point is not the size of a new ARE, it is what it can offer. "Ends" are not popular hospitality venues. No major ground has premium matchday "End" hospitality/banqueting facilities in the PL.

The largest end in the country is the Holte End. It seats 13,500, but has no box or premium seating facilities whatsoever. It does offer a double storey internal banqueting suite, but those facilities on matchdays are offfered to ST holders and are more suitable for external conference/banqueting on non match days. If you bridged the AR you would lose the conference/banqueting space altogether. Although you could go higher, anyone who has sat at the back of the Holte End will tell you that the view is deteriorating as the cost of building is increasing.