You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anfield or New Anfield

Cherry Ghost

Current capacity is 12,277.

Given the age of the stand, I think that it is highly unlikely that the foundations would take another deck, or that the profile of the existing stand would be right for another deck.

Until we know how far we can go back, and how high we can go, it is difficult to tell.

I realise I am far from an expert, but I would assume that they have looked into this before they spoke of a two tiered option!

And I am also speaking of knocking down the current structure, which could mean that 12 thousand could become 14,000 and another 8,000 on the second tier would add 10,000! Which mean that we can easily hit 60,000, with room for more when we come to the Anfield Road.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current capacity is 12,277.

Given the age of the stand, I think that it is highly unlikely that the foundations would take another deck, or that the profile of the existing stand would be right for another deck.

Until we know how far we can go back, and how high we can go, it is difficult to tell.

It's all very well saying you can extend on the back of the main stand, but you then end up where you have people sitting outside the optimal viewing distance and therefore you have a inferior stadium like the old Wembley.

The Main stand is about 10,000 capacity, so I would assume that the new stand would have to have that on the lower tier, and 5-7,000 on the second tier, which would mean 50-55,000. I think that would be fine for a starting point.

The Main Stand needs knocking down, no refurbishment plan is feasible to worthwhile IMO if we don't knock it down.

It's crumbling, it's overcrowded, it's just quite frankly. Shit.

I dont know why you keep banging on about double decked boxes. It is a perfectly sensible solution. And I thought Spurs' main stand was built after the North Stand at VP and that is not only double decked boxes but built on a curve to improve sight lines..

First, San Don, you are absolutely right to mention Spurs’ West Stand. I won’t argue the toss on whether it is new or redeveloped, I should have mentioned it, sorry.

It proves my point about double decked boxes swallowing capacity, it holds 6,890, 2,100 less than the ARE, 5,300 less than our current Main Stand . The capacity of WHL is 36,000. That is why it isn’t a “perfectly sensible solution”.

Spurs were heavily restricted on the height of their stands, so they had to go for premium seating ahead of capacity to generate revenue which they do very successfully. They serve more hospitality meals on match day than they do at Old Trafford. They are also expensive to build because they raise the height of the stand, and you have to generate a lot of corporate cash to compensate which you can do in London on a side stand, but you can’t in Liverpool on an end stand.

The problem with bridging the AR is not one of seats, obviously it enables you to get lots more, but loss of valuable conference/banqueting/hospitality space underneath which provides vital non-match day revenue.

I realise I am far from an expert, but I would assume that they have looked into this before they spoke of a two tiered option!

And I am also speaking of knocking down the current structure, which could mean that 12 thousand could become 14,000 and another 8,000 on the second tier would add 10,000! Which mean that we can easily hit 60,000, with room for more when we come to the Anfield Road.

The confusion can arise when some assume that you can use part of the existing Main Stand and bolt on a new structure.

My belief is that any new stand will need to be just that, a new structure with new foundations.

If the realistic capacity ceiling on a new ARE is 13,500, you would be right that you would need the new Main stand to offer 22,000 seats to get to around a 60k capacity.

The unknown is how much new land would be required for the new footprint for such a stand and the clearance behind for Right to Light for those in the shadow of the new structure.My guess is that it will be a struggle and that a 55k capacity with a new main Stand at around 17/18k will be as good as it gets. But until the club reveal what land they can get/need it is all guesswork.

Guest davelfc

Speke, jesus why would Liverpool want to move to SPEKE!

I don't see these owners wanting to build a new stadium, quick coat of paint and sniff out some buyers. They'll go for a cheap extension of our current ground with emphasis on corporate fans.

I'm biased on a waterfront move because it would be a short wander for me, but it' all daft talk because under these owners it isn't ever going to be a new stadium, that's too long term for them. Only my opinion.

People need to be very careful when proposing a stadium outside of Anfield! It would probably involve public money (the persuasion to relocate) and as soon as that is the case then ground share will be pushed!

Our home is Anfield, we should stay at Anfield like we have done for the past 120 years.

And Xerxes and Ant, I did mean a complete rebuild!

If every single one of those people were offered a season ticket today I’d be surprised if even a third of them took up the option.

How many homes games a season do we actually fully sell out? 10? 12 at a push? I think if we had a 70k seater stadium then for a lot of games it would look almost half empty. We’ve a huge international fan base, but outside of the “big” games, our match going fans don’t fill the stadium.

Maybe with a larger stadium and reduced ticket prices that would entice more to come, but at the moment I just don’t see us needing a 70k stadium.

This email got me thinking a bit so I did a bit of research on the figures from last summer.

2000 were made available last summer and I was 2456 on the list. I'm now 327 so that means 129 people turned down the offer which is around 6.5%.

It would be fair to use that data to then apply an assumption on the remaining figure, so if 35,000 are on the list, around 32,725 would take the ticket.

I don't fully understand this notion that we won't fill a new ground.

People forget that the club have been cleaning up the ST waiting list for a year now. Say there are, probably at the very least, 20k people who would take a ST up tomorrow. That's 65k, not including increased away allocations, an increase in general sale tickets, plus more corporate and executive seats and boxes. Maybe I am being naive but by clearing the ST list alone I reckon we'd be comfortable around the 70k mark. Someone a bit more clued up than me tell me if I am wrong.

I understand why people say we wont fill a lot larger ground. What they done with Fenway park was they stayed there and redeveloped then whacked up the price to go in. Would not surprise me to a massive price increase in ticket prices after redevelopment.

Guest ShoePiss
This email got me thinking a bit so I did a bit of research on the figures from last summer.

2000 were made available last summer and I was 2456 on the list. I'm now 327 so that means 129 people turned down the offer which is around 6.5%.

It would be fair to use that data to then apply an assumption on the remaining figure, so if 35,000 are on the list, around 32,725 would take the ticket.

That's a very impressive yield considering the length of time those people have been on the list and the amount of notice we received to cough up over £700.

I'd still be suspicious of that figure. At the moment the list is an invitation to make cash as a season ticket is worth more than its face value. If we ever do develop then I'd expect the club to start enforcing the non-transferability rules for the new tickets (even if they don't tackle the existing abuses) and I think that would affect the take-up.

I'd still be suspicious of that figure. At the moment the list is an invitation to make cash as a season ticket is worth more than its face value. If we ever do develop then I'd expect the club to start enforcing the non-transferability rules for the new tickets (even if they don't tackle the existing abuses) and I think that would affect the take-up.

Well yeah if the goalposts move then the data becomes less reliable, for sure. I'd be surprised if the club did that though; as long as they get the money from renewals, why care where it comes from?

Well yeah if the goalposts move then the data becomes less reliable, for sure. I'd be surprised if the club did that though; as long as they get the money from renewals, why care where it comes from?

That's been the attitude to date but if they can control renewals there's money to be made. If the market value for buying a season ticket from someone is say £2000 then if the club can insist on a surrender of the ticket then they could easily start charging a hefty fee for the first issue of a season.

That's been the attitude to date but if they can control renewals there's money to be made. If the market value for buying a season ticket from someone is say £2000 then if the club can insist on a surrender of the ticket then they could easily start charging a hefty fee for the first issue of a season.

People would pay £2000 for a season ticket?! Really?

I love how you go on about facts when the figure is actually 24,900. Go to the official site and navigate to News/Ticket News/Spurs Ticket Breakdown and it shows there.

I think we both got it wrong if you add the hospitality season tickets it comes to 27000.