You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anfield or New Anfield

Cherry Ghost

They're actually pushing forward with what sounds like a decent stadium. We've spent so much money - 50m or more - over the last 10 years, and we're no closer. It's so frustrating. The Millennium was only 70m to build. We've been so bloody stupid with our money. We throwing it down the drain. I hope the new owners come up with something soon.

Well they've bidded for a site yeah. Their saga has been going on for years and years aswell though and this will run for a long while anyway as Chelsea have already said.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're actually pushing forward with what sounds like a decent stadium. We've spent so much money - 50m or more - over the last 10 years, and we're no closer. It's so frustrating. The Millennium was only 70m to build. We've been so bloody stupid with our money. We throwing it down the drain. I hope the new owners come up with something soon.

Chelsea's bid is just another shift in the erosion of our status amongst the Euro elite.

FFP just exacerbates the divide.

It sounds like a serious and comprehensive bid on the part of Chelsea - FSG take note:

Blues in bid for Battersea site

Chelsea have confirmed they had submitted a bid to acquire the Battersea Power Station site in order to build a new 60,000-seater stadium.

The Blues announced they and property development partner Almacantar were hoping to acquire the 39 acres of land they could redevelop if they decide to relocate from Stamford Bridge.

The clubs plans include preserving all the significant aspects of the power station itself.

Chelsea said in a statement: "Battersea Power Station is one of London's most famous buildings and has the potential to become one of the most iconic football stadiums in the world.

"Our joint bid was submitted in accordance with the sales process established by the joint administrators for the site. The process could run for a number of months.

"We are not the only interested parties and there is no certainty that we will be successful."

Chelsea cannot move from Stamford Bridge unless they can convince fan-led group Chelsea Pitch Owners, who own the land beneath Stamford Bridge, to sell them back the freehold.

That was something they failed to do at an extraordinary general meeting of CPO back in October.

The statement added: "We also appreciate that we have many significant hurdles to address if we are to build a new stadium on the site, including winning the support of our fans, the CPO shareholders and local Wandsworth residents, as well as securing the approval of Wandsworth Council, the Greater London Authority and heritage authorities.

"We must also stress that making an offer for the Battersea Power Station site does not mean the club has made a definitive decision to leave Stamford Bridge.

"Working with architects and planning experts, we have developed a plan to preserve all the significant aspects of Battersea Power Station.

"The four iconic chimneys and wash towers along with the Grade II* listed west turbine hall and control room will be restored and retained in their original locations and provide a unique architectural backdrop to a world-class stadium with a capacity of around 60,000 seats.

"Following feedback from fans, our initial plans include a 15,000 all-seated one-tier stand behind the south goal, likely to be the biggest one-tier stand in football.

"Also as suggested by many fans, the stadium proposed is rectangular in shape with four separate stands. The design includes a bigger family area and more room for disabled supporters.

"As well as a new home for our club, the development would include a town centre with substantial street-level retail shops, affordable housing and offices - all of which would benefit Wandsworth and bring a significant number of permanent jobs to the area.

"We would also make a significant contribution towards the Northern Line Extension, a new high-volume transport link proposed for the area.

"We will keep our fans updated as the process develops."

Blues in bid for Battersea site | Orange UK

They're intending to build a Kop, how original.

Following feedback from fans, our initial plans include a 15,000-all seated one-tier stand behind the south goal, likely to be the biggest one-tier stand in football.

Am guessing it'll be as loud as ours was against Fulham (not that I blame our fans).

They're intending to build a Kop, how original.Am guessing it'll be as loud as ours was against Fulham (not that I blame our fans).

Four separate stands and the biggest end in the country would do for me at a new or redeveloped Anfield.

Fucking cunts lucky as fuck,we are finished as a big club at the minute and,i carnt see anything changing soon.We had one chance with a fair bit of cash to get us near 4th and we blew it no excuses dalglish and comolli have set us back years,we,l probs neva see that sort of cash again

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Fucking cunts lucky as fuck,we are finished as a big club at the minute and,i carnt see anything changing soon.We had one chance with a fair bit of cash to get us near 4th and we blew it no excuses dalglish and comolli have set us back years,we,l probs neva see that sort of cash again

I probs neva gunna reed wat u say agen,

Meh, it's just a bid.

If we are using Abramovich as the example, doesn't that give FSG many more years to sort the stadium out? Chelsea have taken an age to sort theirs out.

We have been in limbo for ten years now. Moores, Hicks, Gillett, FSG, it doesn't matter who and we all have our own opinions on were blame should be apportioned. But the point is we are where we are. We are at square 1, no further down the line than where we where ten years ago, with over £60m spent in the process and only a few drawings in the bin and a 9 year old design to show for it. The Mancs make £70m per season more on stadium revenue alone than we do. Arsenal not far off, Chelsea are bankrolled but clearly their stadium plans are with FFP in mind. They won't dither about, they'll get it built. It just frustrates me how we allow ourselves to slip so far behind through indecisiveness and piss poor amateurish decision making.

We have been in limbo for ten years now. Moores, Hicks, Gillett, FSG, it doesn't matter who and we all have our own opinions on were blame should be apportioned. But the point is we are where we are. We are at square 1, no further down the line than where we where ten years ago, with over £60m spent in the process and only a few drawings in the bin and a 9 year old design to show for it. The Mancs make £70m per season more on stadium revenue alone than we do. Arsenal not far off, Chelsea are bankrolled but clearly their stadium plans are with FFP in mind. They won't dither about, they'll get it built. It just frustrates me how we allow ourselves to slip so far behind through indecisiveness and piss poor amateurish decision making.

I agree with all of that.

What no-one at the club has been able to do is to establish a vision for the future stadium requirements of the club- and then establish a route map to deliver it.

What impresses me about the Chelsea proposal is that it does have vision, it addresses transport, infrastructure and the commercial element - bastards:telloff:

It took around 7 years from beginning to end for Arsenals new stadium to be built.

If anyone assumes it is easy, just read the troubles they had along the way.That was done from a real position of strength on the football pitch also. At a time when, only Arsenal & the Mancs were dominant.

I could be wrong, but there are only two other London clubs who could get close to 60k on a regular basis, WestHam & Spurs if ticket prices were right.

Some of our fans need to have a word with themselves. Chelsea haven't announced any plans for a definite move - merely an idea to move to another site in London for which several other parties have expressed an interest. Just a few things:

1 - they don't own the freehold to their existing stadium so cannot up sticks without buying it back first;

2 - they need to get agreements in place before they can even consider purchasing the site;

3 - their bid needs to be accepted;

4 - they need to come up with a stadium design. Simply giving a brief statement about a 15k-capacity single-tier stand and a load of retail space is not the same thing as having an actual design;

5 - they need to consider transport links;

6 - they need to cost the whole thing;

7 - they need to finance the whole thing. Just because Abramovich has thrown money at the club, it doesn't automatically follow that he'll throw money at a new stadium just like that;

8 - they need the build the bloody thing.

The way some of our fans are going on about it is as if Chelsea have got the damn spade in the ground already. I understand a lot of it stems from our own stadium situation being up in the air and that millions in expenses have been written off according to the latest set of accounts, but bloody hell! Read the situation for what it is. Don't any of them wonder why they've announced this the day before a cup final against us? Only a couple of days after our own financial results (and stadium expenses) were published? It's about PR and creating some sort of feelgood factor around their club at a crunch time in the season.