You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anfield or New Anfield

Cherry Ghost

Can i ask people who want a shiny new stadium where they think we are going to get the £400-450m to build it from.

Um... that pricing was due to the extraordinarily high price of steel at the time. It artificially inflated the price.

It wouldn't be that expensive, especially a new more simple design. The Hick's stadium had a ridiculous amount of steel.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No point comparing what they did at Fenway with what they may do here. They will have re-built Fenway based on ST info and fan info. There will be looking at the ST waiting list, and train and aircraft capacity into Liverpool to see what is required. More often then not we do not sell out Anfield. With that in mind they will look at how they can offer the seats to the locals that want to go regularly to satisfy that demand, and then to have plenty of seats available for the day trippers who spend significantly and so are a much needed source of revenue. It’ll be interesting to see what they come up with.

Anfield will be re-built on what it requires, not what happened at Fenway.

No point comparing what they did at Fenway with what they may do here. They will have re-built Fenway based on ST info and fan info. There will be looking at the ST waiting list, and train and aircraft capacity into Liverpool to see what is required. More often then not we do not sell out Anfield. With that in mind they will look at how they can offer the seats to the locals that want to go regularly to satisfy that demand, and then to have plenty of seats available for the day trippers who spend significantly and so are a much needed source of revenue. It’ll be interesting to see what they come up with.

Anfield will be re-built on what it requires, not what happened at Fenway.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Anfield will sell out every single game if there is a comprehensive ticketing structure.

We will not sell out Wigan at home £50 a ticket. We just won't. We will however sell out by making tickets available to different people at different rates according to demand.

If we have a 70k seater stadium. 35,000 go on Season Tickets.

Fan Card holders take whatever allocation there is left. If that doesn't fill up. Make the remaining tickets available to local schools, and community groups at a cut price rate.

What is stopping someone driving down to the student union making available 2k tickets?

People forget that even if the tickets are cut price, many people still pay for food and drinks. Look at that game last year where they let kids go free. They didn't really go free, the majority of them bought a hot dog, drink and program costing in the region of £10.

We've just been run by short sighted idiots for the past 15 years, and we can't go making short sighted decisions again. Lets build a new stadium, it will be cheaper than it was a few years ago, it will be something special, naming rights will take up a massive chunk and the Anfield area will see regeneration. Making it a nicer place to visit, and more people will be inclined to visit on non match days.

The club need to be smart, and they need to be sensible as well.

Um... that pricing was due to the extraordinarily high price of steel at the time. It artificially inflated the price.

It wouldn't be that expensive, especially a new more simple design. The Hick's stadium had a ridiculous amount of steel.

Going for a cheaper option means we would end up with something like the 'Parrybowl' and personally i would prefer to stay at Anfield if that was the case.

There is no way we could build a brand new stadium and still spend cash on a squad that needs a complete overhaul.

We need at least 5-6 quality first team additions and i doubt very much these will come cheap.

No point building a shiny new stadium for a team who are mid table hence the reason why we need to build a top squad first.

Another thing which is important for me is just how important Anfield is to the heritage of the club and also the fear factor that the home crowd can offer.

It wouldn't be the same in another stadium and some of the best players in the world have frozen when faced with the '12th man'.

Going for a cheaper option means we would end up with something like the 'Parrybowl' and personally i would prefer to stay at Anfield if that was the case.

There is no way we could build a brand new stadium and still spend cash on a squad that needs a complete overhaul.

We need at least 5-6 quality first team additions and i doubt very much these will come cheap.

No point building a shiny new stadium for a team who are mid table hence the reason why we need to build a top squad first.

Another thing which is important for me is just how important Anfield is to the heritage of the club and also the fear factor that the home crowd can offer.

It wouldn't be the same in another stadium and some of the best players in the world have frozen when faced with the '12th man'.

How much would stadium redevelopment cost?

FWIW I think unless the rumours are true, any stadium redevelopment or build won't start or at least be finished until we win the league.

Putting it simply, if we're going to win the league we'll be doing it before we leave Anfield or change it.

Guest TesticleOReilly

People talking about the Stanley Park designs vs a redeveloped Anfield are forgetting one thing: there never was a new stadium. It was a con, it was lip service from Tom Hicks, exactly as he did with Corinthians. He owed the architects a favour (read 'backhander') for work that never commenced in Brazil. The research and development costs of £50M were nothing more than money in his and their pockets.

People talking about the Stanley Park designs vs a redeveloped Anfield are forgetting one thing: there never was a new stadium. It was a con, it was lip service from Tom Hicks, exactly as he did with Corinthians. He owed the architects a favour (read 'backhander') for work that never commenced in Brazil. The research and development costs of £50M were nothing more than money in his and their pockets.

I was thinking about this earlier. Did Corinthians build a new stadium once Hicks left or are they still recovering from the damage that he caused?

Guest TesticleOReilly

Still in the old one, Steve, hoping to move to a new one. Sound familiar? I'll give you a clue, it starts with 'T' and ends in 'om Hicks'.

How much would stadium redevelopment cost?

FWIW I think unless the rumours are true, any stadium redevelopment or build won't start or at least be finished until we win the league.

Putting it simply, if we're going to win the league we'll be doing it before we leave Anfield or change it.

Well I don't fancy us to won the league in next 15 months Ant so I think your gobs be wrong on that 1, this redevelopment will start in June if the club get the go ahead, it's only awaiting a offical announcement, but if not this June without doubt next year.

Guest ShoePiss
Judging by the Red Sox, it seems like these owners tend to view Season Tickets as essential. I would imagine a LOT of the new seats will be offered as season tickets.

The old yanks wanted a lot of OOT's taking a trip down to the ground.

And the most likely to be unfilled is going to be the midweek, non-european matches... as per usual.

I just know how difficult it was for me to get tickets, despite knowing a lot of people who can hook up tickets.

Redsox season tickets are capped at 22k. Every sports team owner sees season tickets as essential.

Anyway I wish people would stop this comparison between what they do for the redsox and what they'll do for us. Both on and off the pitch they're completely different things.

They were able to stay at Fenway because the demographic supported ticket price increases and appeared to welcome price increases over leaving Fenway.

Redsox tickets are now double the MLB average, being the most expensive in the league (Cubs and Yankees around the same). The owners chose to stay because they could maximise profit, small stadium investment and large return via tickets and the rest of it (beer, food and parking also the highest in MLB).

Well I don't fancy us to won the league in next 15 months Ant so I think your gobs be wrong on that 1, this redevelopment will start in June if the club get the go ahead, it's only awaiting a offical announcement, but if not this June without doubt next year.

We need a product to go with the ground though.

We may have Kenny back, things might be up but we had a dismal attendance at home v Braga.

Guest ShoePiss

really?

really?

They've been considering going down the redevelopment avenue since December and have had people working on it since then, not trying to be ITK here just I know that much, this is all down to getting the go ahead from the council now, that's what'll decide the starting date, but yes it could be very soon, and it's the clubs preferred option to redevelop

Sadly, I think we've missed the boat to build a new stadium. In hindsight we probably should have made the move in the late 80's/90's.

The Stadium of Light, Sunderland only cost £23m to construct a 49,000 seater stadium and The Millenium Stadium, Cardiff cost £121m for a 74,500 seater stadium, both of which were built in the late 90's.

More recently the Emirates was constructed at a total project cost of £470m while the Aviva Stadium in Dublin cost £361m to build.

Arsenal probably moved from Highbury at the right time. They were league champions in 2002 and 2004, competing in the Champions League each season and had developed a strong squad of young players. They also benefitted from the revenue raised from selling Highbury and associated land to developers. We aren't in a strong position at present. We cannot sell off land to property developers in a sought after area like Islington to build 2,000 new homes, we haven't got Champions League football at present and we probably need to invest heavily in the playing squad to even be competitive again.

To build a new stadium and to sufficiently invest in the playing squad will probably require an outlay of between £400-500m. That is a huge sum of money for a club with no champions league football to repay.

Perhaps at this point in our history staying at Anfield and redeveloping the existing stadium and improving the playing squad is the sensible approach.

Guest TesticleOReilly
Perhaps at this point in our history staying at Anfield and redeveloping the existing stadium and improving the playing squad is the sensible approach.

It's the only sensible option, in my humble opinion. People can talk all they want about the Emirates, plain factor is economics, in addition to Steve's points, the Emirates has just broken the £100 for a normal seat barrier. There isn't the money in this part of the country.

As a side note, I'd be happy with 50,000 every week if that's the eventual capacity, than a 65,000 stadium with 50,000 in it!

I was thinking about this earlier. Did Corinthians build a new stadium once Hicks left or are they still recovering from the damage that he caused?

They are in the process on redeveloping their ground, as part of renovation work across Brazil in time for the World Cup in 2014. I don't think their stadium is one of the shortlisted ones but, given Brazil's current economic boom, they are taking a leaf out of Europe's book and developing infrastructure.

It's the only sensible option, in my humble opinion. People can talk all they want about the Emirates, plain factor is economics, in addition to Steve's points, the Emirates has just broken the £100 for a normal seat barrier. There isn't the money in this part of the country.

As a side note, I'd be happy with 50,000 every week if that's the eventual capacity, than a 65,000 stadium with 50,000 in it!

Ticket prices for 'executive supporters' at the Emirates will increase by 6.5% from next season after a 3 year freeze and there is talk that there may be a similar increase for season ticket holders as well.

Guest ShoePiss
They've been considering going down the redevelopment avenue since December and have had people working on it since then, not trying to be ITK here just I know that much, this is all down to getting the go ahead from the council now, that's what'll decide the starting date, but yes it could be very soon, and it's the clubs preferred option to redevelop

Everyone has known they've been considering it but only the council being the hurdle now is big news..to me at least. If they could start in June that means they have pretty advanced architectural designs complete. Which firm has been awarded the design business?

Everyone has known they've been considering it but only the council being the hurdle now is big news..to me at least. If they could start in June that means they have pretty advanced architectural designs complete. Which firm has been awarded the design business?

I heard it was a firm called RIS and the design has been done purely using MSPaint.

Guest ShoePiss
I heard it was a firm called RIS and the design has been done purely using MSPaint.

Good stuff, I'm confident he can come up with something better than the Ian Ritchie sketches.

Posters who oppose a new stadium always postulate that "we'll end up with the Parrybowl". Who's to say a new stadium wouldn't be something more akin to the Millenium stadium? Why would staying at Anfield and replacing each stand every year or so result in a stadium you'd be happy with? WIll a redesign be cheaper in the short-term anyway, let alone the long-term? If you keep the pitch and change all 4 stands around it, aren't you doing the same as moving anyway?

Posters who oppose a new stadium always postulate that "we'll end up with the Parrybowl". Who's to say a new stadium wouldn't be something more akin to the Millenium stadium? Why would staying at Anfield and replacing each stand every year or so result in a stadium you'd be happy with? WIll a redesign be cheaper in the short-term anyway, let alone the long-term? If you keep the pitch and change all 4 stands around it, aren't you doing the same as moving anyway?

Clearly not.

I think we'll stay and I think we'll de-develop the vernon sangster car park in to something which will help the surrounding area and creat some jobs for the local community.

a themed hotel or something would be a pure money spinner

SteveH has already pointed out above some of the reasons as to why we should stay at Anfield.

The last stadium design we had (whether it was lip service or not) was coming in at a cost of at the time around the £400m mark.

Even if we got a complete different design team in and asked them to make something 'cutting edge' could they do something like that but considerably cheaper.

The price of steel make have come down but by just how much.

If it made financial sense to build a new stadium im pretty certain that FSG would be doing exactly that but the reality is whilst they could go ahead and build a new stadium we would not have the resources available to also build a winning team to play in it.

Obviously i don't know the estimated figures between re-developing Anfield and a whole new build but i would imagine re-developing must be cheaper otherwise they wouldn't be entertaining the idea.

What is stopping someone driving down to the student union making available 2k tickets?
Here's and idea Ant. Why don't clubs as a whole reduce the price of admission for everyone ? Lets face it, football is a fucking rip off. £40 for ninety minutes is a fucking joke. The simple fact is, the working classes are being priced out of the game. This is why we and the majority of other clubs struggle to attract bigger crowds. Is it any fucking wonder, people would rather stand in a pub and watch the game on foreign TV channel rather than go the game. So, while you keep bleating on about free tickets for students, what about the ever growing population of low income workers ? Where do the people who were brought up in this city, and work forty hours a week for minimum wage fit into your master plan ?