You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but Sky know absolute fuck all as usual. They were certain Kirdi was the front runner last time throughout.

Sky seems to get the loose details of a story like any other broadcaster but they then present it as fact so if they are lucky and the story goes the way they predict than they come out looking all smug.

Hicks is a Republican supporter. Werner and Henry are Democrat supporters. If that means much. At least the latter aren't redneck Republicans...

GOP Outraising Dems Among Baseball Team Owners

I wouldn't be unhappy to see us sold to them. They are considered decent owners - It must be noted that Hicks was despised in Brazil and Texas BEFORE he purchased us. I would hate to see them being ruled out simply due to nationality - I cannot profess to be an expert on all the ins and outs but as one who spends time in Massachusetts on a semi-regular basis (and was there around the time of the 2007 World Series) I don't think that this is a Hicks style LBO operation.

I fear that if they are interested, people will boneheadedly judge them on nationality alone - There are a lot of Americans in the world and there are a lot of cunts in the world. Hicks and Gillett are both, and we should be asking why 'we' (you know who...) didn't scrutinse their long history of failure, dodgy dealings and all-round twatishness rather than hold their place of birth accountable.

In fact, I dare say that this sounds too good to be true to me. I think that we'll be stuck with Kirdi style shit or some crappy knock off Sheik, a cheap imitation of Man City's owner.

By Dan Roan

BBC sports news correspondent

Liverpool's board met on Tuesday after it received two new bids to buy the club, BBC Sport understands.

It is thought one of the bids is from Asia, with the other from America.

A source close to the negotiations said: "Both would significantly reduce the debt and give the current owners their original investment back."

But the club's co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett are understood to be opposing the sale of the Reds to either of the two parties.

Three independent members of the board - managing director Christian Purslow, chairman Martin Broughton and commercial director Ian Ayre - all favoured a sale and are weighing up whether to accept one of the bids.

But it is thought Hicks and Gillett are against accepting either of the bids as neither would see the American duo walk away with a profit.

Liverpool were put up for sale by American duo Hicks and Gillett in April with debts of £351.4m.

The pair paid £174.1m to buy the club in 2007, while also agreeing to take on the club's debt of £44.8m.

It was said to be a new dawn for the Anfield outfit, with outgoing chairman David Moores describing it as "a great step forward for its shareholders and its fans".

But little has gone right for either the club or its owners since then.

In August there were abortive bids from Hong Kong businessman Kenny Huang and a consortium fronted by Syrian businessman Yahya Kirdi.

Many of the club's fans have become increasingly outraged at the pair mismanagement of the club, which is said to be still £237.4m in debt.

The Royal Bank of Scotland have set a deadline of 15 October for that money to be repaid or a penalty fee of £60m will be due.

If not the bank has the option of extending the deadline once again or decide enough is enough and either sell the club to the highest bidder or put it in administration.

Many fans of the Merseyside club are keen to see RBS call in the debt, even if it means them going into administration and receiving a nine-point penalty from the Premier League as a result.

Whether these bids signal the beginning of the end of a saga that has blighted the club in recent years remains to be seen.

Hmm, already dont like the sound of this one!

Based on what exactly? If anyone would actually understand what a "storied" club is worth to its fans then these people would be at the top of the list.

The Boston Red Sox are a superbly run organization and they are very much left to get on with it by their owners.

Based on what exactly?

The Glazers are shit. Lerner is shit. Hicks and Gillett are shit. The American owners in this country are dreadful.

They might be fine themselves, not every American is scum but I remain massively wary of any new owner until they prove otherwise, especially American ones. Sorry for not buying into the hype.

Based on what exactly? If anyone would actually understand what a "storied" club is worth to its fans then these people would be at the top of the list.

The Boston Red Sox are a superbly run organization and they are very much left to get on with it by their owners.

Anyone show any info to give me peace of mind tonight because whatever i read about the owners it seems the get deserved plaudits for bringing the World Series after decades but do they seem financially secure and not like reports suggest that he tried to change the uniform to blue and raise ticket prices.

The Glazers are shit. Lerner is shit. Hicks and Gillett are shit. The American owners in this country are dreadful.

They might be fine themselves, not every American is scum but I remain massively wary of any new owner until they prove otherwise, especially American ones. Sorry for not buying into the hype.

Yep. The way Americans run a business isnt worth it. Im sick of being a Franchise.