You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

In defence of Hodgson and the utter disgrace that we call football....

Antynwa

Apologies for the new thread, we're discussing Hodgson in every thread but I feel it's only right there is a thread that defends the poor fella.

I'm not going to lie to you, it's been hard defending him and it's hard trying to find the reasons, but I am anyway.

Don't get me wrong, it's pointless trying to defend the indefensible, shit tactics,negative tactics. Players being played out of position and the likes. But I will try and make one point.

WWKD? I.E What would Kenny do? What would Kenny do that Hodgson wouldn't. I didn't want Hodgson as manager, Kenny becoming our manager, would have been the stuff of fairy tales, but it would have been the sort of stuff we laugh at Newcastle for. Make no mistake, the chants for Kenny's name was both small time and desperate. I can understand the frustrations, but thats kicking someone in the balls when they're already down. Part of me feels that it wasn't about Kenny, it was about Roy.

What we witnessed today, was the end game. The end game of 3 years of zero investment, the end game of 2 years of shit football, the end game of failed transfers, the end game of a fractured dying club. Hodgson's job was to guide the club through troubled waters, only now the waters have breached the hull, and we're sinking and there is seemingly nothing he can do about it.

I feel sorry for Hodgson more than anything, I was angry at Rafa, I just felt sorry for Roy. I have no doubt in my mind he came here with the belief he could do a job, and I agree with many of the sentiments I.E Looking like a rabbit trapped in the headlights. We can spend hours and hours analysing the rights and wrongs of his reign so far. But he is going to need a turn around of epic proportions to convert a seemingly decided fan base.

If we look at it purely from a Hodgson point of view, the fella came to a club fractured from top to bottom, with the task of keeping dis-enchanted players and boosting moral. He nearly did that, we actually had a feel good factor...for two weeks prior to the Arsenal game. Any new manager, deserves time, deserves support and he hasn't had that for whatever reason be it doubts over his appointment, heartbreak because of the previous manager there are many reasons. But has never once had the full support of the fans, and that is sad because thats now how this club is supposed to be. We know we're up shit creek, we know we have problems, but Roy is not the source of those problems, he isn't even the instigator, in the grand scheme of things he's like a Mancunian whose just walked into a Liverpool pub, despite having no knowledge of football at all. The man is IMO shot of any confidence, i'd go as far to say he's almost lost the dressing room.

We've seemingly imploded. Torres just doesn't give a shit, I'm convinced, discuss whether it's because he's injured, I think he's completely lost faith in football, the lad is a wreck. Gerrard is just plodding around, Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel are shite, Kuyt can't control the ball. I said this to a few others leaving the ground, that was the worst of the worst, of our best of the best. Everything about us was poor, every player was poor. All our problems came to the forefront at once. It was the worst performance I've ever seen from us in the league, ever (That I've seen anyway).

He's had a lot to deal with Hodgson, now whether he's the right man for the job is clearly up for debate. What I will say is though, it's very sad to see that he never had our full support from the off, when he should have. My head says we still need to stick with him, because today was a case of stark realisation that this club is rotting at it's very core. Our players aren't as good as we believe they are, we are just the epitome of mediocrity which will take much more than some rich bastard to change.

For the first time, I fear for Liverpool Football Club's future, we're a shell, we're just managing to function and the last thing we need is a change of manager. Not now anyway. If it gets worse, which it certainly can then big decisions have to be made. But we need to clench our bum cheeks, we can't go looking for the next messiah, we can't go looking for a quick fix.

There is no quick fix for mediocrity, there is no quick fix for world class players turning to shells of players. There isn't, there certainly isn't with a new manager. We don't know where we are as a club. We don't know what our future is, never mind our present. The bottom line IMO is that Hodgson needs our support, he doesn't need chants for club legends, he doesn't need sacking. He needs the support he should have got the day he walked into this football club, because that IMO is what is best for LFC....just for a few more weeks.

Bored.

He needs to go, and seeing as you were an antagonist last season, I hope you sleep well tonite.

The new manager you craved for is doing a sterlin job. 3rd bottom.

Enjoy your sleep tonite mate. I ain't. The man needs to go now.

Utter crap.

People didn't use the board as an excuse last season, so the same applies now. The manager takes the wrap for the garbage that gets played out on the paddock.

The last encumbant got slated for less.

Bored.

He needs to go, and seeing as you were an antagonist last season, I hope you sleep well tonite.

The new manager you craved for is doing a sterlin job. 3rd bottom.

Enjoy your sleep tonite mate. I ain't. The man needs to go now.

Utter crap.

People didn't use the board as an excuse last season, so the same applies now. The manager takes the wrap for the garbage that gets played out on the paddock.

The last encumbant got slated for less.

I didn't want Hodgson, I wanted Mourinho. If you want to bring Rafa into it you can, but he should have been sacked regardless.

I am not happy with the situation we find ourselves in tonight, it kills me. But don't think it's because we haven't got Rafa. Because depending who you believe SG, FT wouldn't be here if was.

No doubt today was shit, absolutely shite and Hodgson deserves plenty of flack. But we are not Newcastle we don't look to club legends to pull us out of the shit, we don't turn on our managers after 7 games.

Don't get me wrong if things get worse decisions will have to be made. But I struggle to see what a new manager will be able to give us. Especially at this moment in time.

It'd be a lot easier to take this sort of pompous old shite from you and the rest of the gang if you hadn't spent the entirety of last season telling everyone in earshot, loudly and repetitively, that all we needed to do to turn things around was get rid of Benitez, and then spent the whole of the summer proclaiming how the good times were back again.

You picked the wrong argument to start with by letting the owners off the hook again and again and again, and then you picked the wrong horse in "Woy."

If it were me, I'd try and have a bit of class and just keep my mouth shut for a bit.

I thought any decent manager could get this side performing better? Hodgson is a fucking shambles, just man the fuck up and admit it.

That.

Woy never was, and never will be a "decent" manager.

Surprised it took a few so long to see that.

Doesn't take too long to "google" his career statistics, does it. :whistle:

Feel sorry for him? ??look at what holloway has achieved with blackpool? ?!! Our side is littered with full internationals! !

Very true.

Hodgson got a very average Fulham side to over achieve, finishing 7th in the premiership in his first full season in charge and then taking them to a Europa League final last season.

It is time to get this over rated, overpaid Liverpool squad performing.

It'd be a lot easier to take this sort of pompous old shite from you and the rest of the gang if you hadn't spent the entirety of last season telling everyone in earshot, loudly and repetitively, that all we needed to do to turn things around was get rid of Benitez, and then spent the whole of the summer proclaiming how the good times were back again.

You picked the wrong argument to start with by letting the owners off the hook again and again and again, and then you picked the wrong horse in "Woy."

If it were me, I'd try and have a bit of class and just keep my mouth shut for a bit.

Words.

"Feel good factor"? When the fuck was that? Probably a phenomenon limited to the anti-Rafa brigade.

Torres just doesn't give a shit, I'm convinced, discuss whether it's because he's injured, I think he's completely lost faith in football, the lad is a wreck. Gerrard is just plodding around, Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel are shite, Kuyt can't control the ball. I said this to a few others leaving the ground, that was the worst of the worst, of our best of the best. Everything about us was poor, every player was poor.

That's the point isn't it, Rafa used to get the best of what he had, no way was our squad in 08-09 good enough for a title challenge but he still managed it. Last season we underachieved, but I still felt we could've pulled it together with maybe a creative player to help us break down stubborn defences, now I feel we need a new manager, because Hodgson doesn't seem capable of managing the players he's been given, he has no idea how to stretch the pitch to make space for Torres, he just narrows the pitch for some reason and makes it hard for him to run into channels, it's poor managing, nothing more.

Everything he has said and does since the Arsenal match has been wrong aswell.

You'd think people would notice that Hodgson is a poor manager after looking at his 30 year career of no major trophies, I'll say this again, he's no better than Mark Hughes or Steve McClaren, mid table standard managers, not clubs the size of Liverpool.

I didn't want Hodgson, I wanted Mourinho. If you want to bring Rafa into it you can, but he should have been sacked regardless.

I am not happy with the situation we find ourselves in tonight, it kills me. But don't think it's because we haven't got Rafa. Because depending who you believe SG, FT wouldn't be here if was.

No doubt today was shit, absolutely shite and Hodgson deserves plenty of flack. But we are not Newcastle we don't look to club legends to pull us out of the shit, we don't turn on our managers after 7 games.

Don't get me wrong if things get worse decisions will have to be made. But I struggle to see what a new manager will be able to give us. Especially at this moment in time.

A Manager with the ability to pick players and put them in their correct positions ex: Raul. And a manager that really believes he can get 3 points home and away against any team in the league.Roy has shown he has too much fear about losing and it shows in how the team are playing they don't believe they can win and are playing far too deep that is down to the manager. A new manager can make those 3 basic changes and get results with our squad of players.

1. Play players in the right positions

2. Give the players the belief they can beat anyone and fear noone.

3. Get the team to press higher up the pitch as sitting so deep is causing us all sorts of problems.

Feel sorry for him? ??look at what holloway has achieved with blackpool? ?!! Our side is littered with full internationals! !

Thats what I asked myself.

We can kick off about lack of funds an the likes. But when it comes to hard work, determination and a manager like Holloway, you've done a good job.

I think we've over hyped our players to fuck. I touched upon this in the OP. But today was the worst of the worst, the worst of Carra, Skrtel, Torres, Gerrard. The worst of everyone.

It was a culmination of shit tactics, shit ethic, shit attitude, fuck all investment, and a continuously battered and bruised club. If we sack Hodgson, I don't think we'll be able to sort out any of the above. Infact we'll make things worse.

If you actually thought that Mourinho could join us, then you're even more of a deluded fool than I thought when I saw the title of this thread. Hodgson is clueless at this level and you're a clueless fan.

I can see how the mindset is exactly the same there.

Blackpool - small team, living the dream, nothing to lose.

Liverpool - massive club, unrealistic expectations at this time, everything to lose, possible administration.

Who do you think has the harder job in the dressing room motivating the players?

Holloway who has a team of lads who worked as shop assistants and the like or Roy and his overpaid, overrated and spoiled "stars" who are probably planning their exit strategies.

Balance in everything is what matters and we have no balance physically, tactically or mentally at the moment and that's why we're fucked.

You should have been careful what you wished for Antynwa because the reality is your team is now in the hands of a man who manages to lose to Northampton Town and Blackpool at Anfield and has been unable to deliver one good performance in the fourteen games he's had in charge.

He's so far out of his depth that it's frightening. I guess the whole 'anybody can do a better job than Rafa' bullshit is now looking a bit daft eh?

1. I didn't want Hodgson as manager

2. Rafa deserved to get sacked

3. No one proclaimed the good times where back, but excuse some of us for feeling good about our chances

4. Bit of class? What point are you trying to make? That I'm happy about this, or that I regret anything I said last season. I regret nothing, I'd sack Benitez 1,000,000 times over if I had the chance.

You absolute spineless, hypercritical cunt.

1. I didn't want Hodgson as manager

2. Rafa deserved to get sacked

3. No one proclaimed the good times where back, but excuse some of us for feeling good about our chances

4. Bit of class? What point are you trying to make? That I'm happy about this, or that I regret anything I said last season. I regret nothing, I'd sack Benitez 1,000,000 times over if I had the chance.

You've made it for me. As usual.