You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carragher asking for patience on and off the field

stringvest

from the Times

Jamie Carragher has appealed for Roy Hodgson to be given time to turn around Liverpool’s fortunes despite him presiding over the club’s worst start to a league campaign for 18 years.

Liverpool go into tomorrow’s home match against Blackpool a place below their opponents in the Barclays Premier League table, having won one game and scored three goals fewer and with pressure already building on Hodgson, as much because of the lack of style in his team’s play as a stuttering opening to the season in which they have won once in their past six games.

Carragher, though, is not panicking, pointing out that Hodgson’s reign is still in its formative stages and backing his manager to use his “fantastic experience” to turn around a difficult situation and prove himself worthy of the office he now inhabits.

“We’re only seven or eight games into a new regime and I have been here before with new managers,” Carragher said. “I was here before with Gérard Houllier and Rafa Benítez and I know from experience it’s always tough at the start. You get a new manager and you see the progress as the years go on.

“It’s not an instant fix. It’s difficult in the Premier League. It’s about results and if you’re not winning there’s going to be pressure. But people have short memories. They forget that when Benítez first came, when Houllier first came, their first seasons were very difficult. We had players there from the last regime and a different manager. It was not their team, they made signings and it takes a long time. People should allow the manager to change things around and gel things together.

“Every manager has his own ideas and we have to get used to them. It’s hardly the time to be judged.”

Carragher has also warned his team-mates that the club’s long-term future must come before any individual’s personal ambitions as Liverpool continue to seek the new owners they hope can revitalise their fading fortunes.

“The ownership situation is not something that is going to be sorted out quickly, you cannot put a deadline on it,” Carragher said. “It is a massive decision for the club, it’s not about the players who are here now. We are looking 20 or 30 years down the line. It’s got nothing to do with keeping players who are here now happy. It’s about the future of our club, for our children. It is a decision that we have to get right.”

Paul Dalglish, the former Liverpool player and son of the club legend, Kenny, has backed the campaign of the supporters’ group, Spirit Of Shankly (SOS), to oust the co-owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr.

Dalglish praised SOS, which will again protest against the Americans before, during and after the Blackpool game. “Imagine the whole of Anfield walking out in the 70th minute,” Dalglish posted on Twitter. “The commentators would have to talk about it during the game. I support you (SOS) and I think everyone who cares about Liverpool does, too. You have acted with class, the Liverpool way.”

Paul Dalglish, the former Liverpool player and son of the club legend, Kenny, has backed the campaign of the supporters’ group, Spirit Of Shankly (SOS), to oust the co-owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr.

Dalglish praised SOS, which will again protest against the Americans before, during and after the Blackpool game. “Imagine the whole of Anfield walking out in the 70th minute,” Dalglish posted on Twitter. “The commentators would have to talk about it during the game. I support you (SOS) and I think everyone who cares about Liverpool does, too. You have acted with class, the Liverpool way.”

If we play like we have been, I'll be amazed if there is anybody still watching by the 60th minute.

Carragher - how about you come clean about your inolvement with our beloved captain in getting wanting to get shut of Benitez and wanting Hodgson in along with Purslow?

And don't ask that we be patient when you are picked regardless of your ever more apparent lack of pace.

And don't ask us to be patient when Hodgson's style of football is so fucking stultifying that it takes away one's will.

No - you get your finger out - I'm fucking done with being patient.

Carragher - how about you come clean about your inolvement with our beloved captain in getting wanting to get shut of Benitez and wanting Hodgson in along with Purslow?

And don't ask that we be patient when you are picked regardless of your ever more apparent lack of pace.

And don't ask us to be patient when Hodgson's style of football is so fucking stultifying that it takes away one's will.

diego?

Poinless post of the day.

With an element of truth though.

PoinTless, of course.

There is an element of truth in it, certainly my patience is at its regarding the club both on and off the pitch.

BUT, it is surely right that the next owners are the right ones, rather than the ones that are quickest off the mark. This IS the most important decision in the club's history and will define us for the next few decades in my view, so we need to get it right.

Not confident we will, but that is a different story.

As for all the conspiracy theories about who got Rafa the push, it IS pointless as it is done and dusted. Let's move on.

With all due respect Jamie, the fans have dished out a more than generous slice of patience with on and off field matters over the past year or so. Enough's enough now, things need sorting on and off the pitch instead of the club constantly wielding out various members of the squad to tell the fans how great things will be in the end. Actions speak louder than words and the club fails on all counts.

With all due respect Jamie, the fans have dished out a more than generous slice of patience with on and off field matters over the past year or so. Enough's enough now, things need sorting on and off the pitch instead of the club constantly wielding out various members of the squad to tell the fans how great things will be in the end. Actions speak louder than words and the club fails on all counts.

Is true.....asking for patience has been a recurring theme throughout the last couple of yrs. I think by in large we have a very passionate and patient fanbase but we all demand to see a decent standard of football irrespective of results.

In my opinion most if not all fans are far more disturbed by the absolute dross we have had to watch so far this season. Coupled with the inane ramblings and utter clart uttered by our manager....hard for anyone to take.

A friend of mine was speaking to carra the other day he said to my mate that everyone is pissed off and a couple of players are looking off in the next transfer window. My own personal view is that if carra is not gona back the fans 100% he should do what he's been doing the last couple of years(keep fuckin quiet). Comes to somthing when it's the foreign lads who backed us more than the local red through and through lads.

A friend of mine was speaking to carra the other day he said to my mate that everyone is pissed off and a couple of players are looking off in the next transfer window. My own personal view is that if carra is not gona back the fans 100% he should do what he's been doing the last couple of years(keep fuckin quiet). Comes to somthing when it's the foreign lads who backed us more than the local red through and through lads.

It's not like Fowler and the dockers as this is internal and Carra is contractually bound to publicly toe the line.

I don't half the players believe the stuff they say on .tv.

Part of the problem is our past two managers and the fans have Carragher as their security blanket and won't even contemplate phasing him out of the team. Carragher is one of the direct reasons why we have the style of play that we do - Roy's "tactics" are tailormade for Carragher - it is no coincidence that Agger is being sidelined. And for someone who is supposed to be so crucial to our defensive organization, he sure does make a number of individual mistakes AND we sure do ship more goals than we should.

• Downvote 1

Part of the problem is our past two managers and the fans have Carragher as their security blanket and won't even contemplate phasing him out of the team. Carragher is one of the direct reasons why we have the style of play that we do - Roy's "tactics" are tailormade for Carragher - it is no coincidence that Agger is being sidelined. And for someone who is supposed to be so crucial to our defensive organization, he sure does make a number of individual mistakes AND we sure do ship more goals than we should.

This is spot on! I am really glad that people are finally questioning the worth of Carragher in the team. For years, Hyppia had been making Carra much better than he really was.

This is spot on! I am really glad that people are finally questioning the worth of Carragher in the team. For years, Hyppia had been making Carra much better than he really was.

I wouldn't say for "years" and I don't want in any way diminish his contribution when he was at his peak (the first three or four years of Rafa, basically), but ever since he came out and said he would change clubs if he ever found himself sitting on the bench on occasions, basically holding the manager to ransom knowing the depth of his support from the fans...I don't know. He seems to have remained a mainstay since then even as his performances have become spottier and spottier.

That's why Sami left after an 86 point season he barely featured in - he was tired of carrying Carragher.

Nobody involved in the Backpool game came out of it with any credit, but Carragher's performance was absolutely shocking.

I've never seen a professional footballer spend the last 30 minutes of a game bent over with his hands on his knees gasping for breath the way he did today. It was like watching a Sunday league player who'd spent the previous night on the ale. If he is so out of condition he needs to retire before he totally humiliates himself.

I've never seen a professional footballer spend the last 30 minutes of a game bent over with his hands on his knees gasping for breath the way he did today. It was like watching a Sunday league player who'd spent the previous night on the ale. If he is so out of condition he needs to retire before he totally humiliates himself.

Henchoz?