You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Yet more reason for the UK to leave the EU

Red Mist

Vow to fight EU migrant benefit bid

(UKPA) – 2 hours ago

The Government has vowed to fight the European Commission over efforts by Brussels to lift British social security restrictions designed to curb "benefit tourism".

Current social security rules limit benefit claims for immigrants to those who can prove they have a good prospect of finding work and have a long-term commitment to the UK. Migrants considered not to be "economically active" are turned down.

But now the Commission says the so-called "right to reside" rules break EU laws.

A Government spokesman insisted that the current arrangements are "right for the UK" and prevent "unsustainable burdens being placed on our social security system".

However, the Commission's next step is likely to be formal infringement proceedings against the UK which could end in the European Court of Justice.

A ruling against the Government could force changes in the "Habitual Residency Test", introduced more than 25 years ago but tightened further in 2004, when EU expansion extended access rights to citizens of eight poor central European countries.

Government officials say that, without the current restrictions, the Treasury's annual benefits bill could soar by as much as £2.5 billion in payouts such as the jobseeker's allowance, currently only available to those who have previously worked for at least a year in the UK, and income support.

The Government spokesman said: "We are in discussions with the Commission as, in our view, the current rules are within the law and are right for the UK, and changing them now would not be in our interest.

"Our rules fully support the freedom of workers within the EU, whilst making sure that there are reasonable restrictions on access to social security for those who have never worked in the UK.

"This prevents unsustainable burdens being placed on our social security system. We will argue our case and work towards a favourable outcome."

The Press Association: Vow to fight EU migrant benefit bid

The EU is attempting to bully us into accepting benefit claimants from all across the EU. Any unemployed bum could come from Europe and sign up to the JSA right away if the EU gets its way. As if we don't have enough unemployed of our own to feed and house, the Europeans will be on it soon enough. Many of them already are in actual fact, but the EU's demands would make the situation even worse.

I really fail to see what benefits being in the EU bring to the UK. Norway and Switzerland are doing just fine without it. We'd survive too. Time to tell the EU to fuck off, what a joke that the UK should be dictated to by these idiots in Brussels.

Don't they get £200 a week in Ireland?

There you go, Red Mist, you could nip over there and claim to your heart's content whilst thinking:

"That'll learn you, you EU bastards"

Or something

You're missing the point.

This is the greatest country in the world. Nobody wants to go to any other country. Why would they? The only reason we're not already falling off the edges of this fair and sceptred isle is the eternal vigilance of the UK Borders Agency. Unless you allow them to keep all the smelly foreign scroungers out, we will be overrun by thieves, rapists and murderers in the hundreds of millions before you can say Jack Robinson.

Abolish the so-called "EU" (if that's its real name) and vote for Red Mist as the one Supreme Leader of our land!

It does take the piss like. I read something a while back which said Polish families who haven't lived here for years are still receiving British child benefit. Lunacy.

They usually go home and dont tell anybody. Then once a month they buy an easyjet flight back over to pick up their benefit. There is something wrong somewhere along the line.

Ex pats in Spain still get winter fuel allowance I'd say thats on a par but hey, they're British so its ok.

Did I say it was?

If I went abroad I wouldn't expect benefits from this country OR my host country, and rightly so.

I often see this 'Bits in Spain' argument when people talk about economic migration, but it doesn't follow at all. The majority of Brits in Spain are probably retired, own property/bars and spunk millions into the Spanish economy (one thing's for sure, they haven't gone there for the work)

The majority are probably not taking up finite social housing, nor are they being used by Spanish business to undermine the wages of Spanish workers.

One thing is for sure, if you took 100,000 low-skilled British people and dropped them from a great height onto the bottom rungs of the Spanish, French or Italian labour markets all in one go, there would be fucking MURDER.