You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

isn't this the team owned by the fella who invented the sponge centred football for the brazilians? and they had socrates play for them a few years back!!??

Aye that's them. Sure at the time the owner was trying to get Dunga and Zico around the same time.

Iirc he helped Clive Woodward get the job at Southampton.

You can see his judgement is still sound.

• 7 years later...

When I saw this thread I thought he might have died. Don't know what state he's in these days, and I hope he's doing better, but a few years ago when I last saw a picture of him he really looked frail. 

The drink is all well and good for people who can handle it, have one or two, or even a few from time to time; but for the segment of people who fall into it and can't get enough, it's a demon and it wrecks lives. 

Part of me read the excerpt in a laddish, laughing sort of way, and another part of me was sad. 

• Upvote 3

When I saw this thread I thought he might have died. Don't know what state he's in these days, and I hope he's doing better, but a few years ago when I last saw a picture of him he really looked frail. 

The drink is all well and good for people who can handle it, have one or two, or even a few from time to time; but for the segment of people who fall into it and can't get enough, it's a demon and it wrecks lives. 

Part of me read the excerpt in a laddish, laughing sort of way, and another part of me was sad. 

last i heard  mate  he was doing ok  and has a new mrs  

• Upvote 1

The best story is of him wandering round the radisson in Liverpool naked with a toy parrot on his shoulder. He would knock on doors and shout fuck off to people who answered then blame it on the parrot.

Probably the only thing of any note that he did while he was playing for Everton.

Not so , good Doctor. My brother in law was one of the chefs at Everton on match days , and one day he had to get one of those big sacks of spuds from a storage cupboard & finds Gazza sat behind them on the floor with a couple of cans. Gazza just puts his finger to his lips and says ' Tony , if Walter is looking for me you haven't seen me , right ? '

Similar to your tale , I remember reading that Aron Winter lived in the same apartment block & poor Mrs Winter once opened the door to a naked Gazza with just a rose between his teeth asking whether Aron could come out to play.

I am amazed he remembers enough to publish an autobiography , He's probably been asking around for other peoples recollections, If it was him it would start by cracking open a can of special brew and end with him waking up offering a murderer on the run chicken and a bottle of brown ale,