You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If we are still in this mess come the summer then Torres simply must go. It is completely unfair for a player of his talent to waste his career on our mess. I would also urge Pepe to move somewhere where his talent gets to be seen on the top stage competing for the main trophies. I genuinly mean this. I feel sorry for players of that quality to see their careers wasted.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are still in this mess come the summer then Torres simply must go. It is completely unfair for a player of his talent to waste his career on our mess. I would also urge Pepe to move somewhere where his talent gets to be seen on the top stage competing for the main trophies. I genuinly mean this. I feel sorry for players of that quality to see their careers wasted.

hes far too good a player to be sitting in the bottom half of the table and in the europa league. Hes getting no service in this team and we are not playing to his strengths. Every team in the world would love to have him. I believe he will be gone next summer at the latest. Hes probably wondering why he decided to stay in the summer.

Id fight Tooth and Nail to keep him.

It's all bollocks and not worth getting worked up about. Daily Star has absolutely no credibility whatsoever. Why the hell would a Barca player sit down with a no mark tabloid when it's even hard enough for serious journos to get in a couple of questions?

If I was a Barca representative or player representative I'd sue Daily Star to bankruptcy. These lies and fabrications are affecting their club badly and should be stopped.

Over the last few days an issue of journalistic integrity has been played out over the Twitter feeds of a number of respected football journalists - namely Gabrielle Marcotti, Gavin Hamilton and Sid Lowe. The journalist in question has allegedly been fabricating interviews for Nuts and the Daily Star for at least four years. The issue erupted when Sid Lowe, an expert on Spanish football, tweeted that he would “Please disregard ANY Daily Star Sunday 'interview' with players from Spain. Inventions by the week. Disgraceful” after an ‘interview’ appeared in which Iker Casiilas tipped Joe Hart to become the best goalkeeper in the world. Since this happened, both Marcotti and Hamilton, the editor of World Soccer, have been damning of Fairthorne’s methods, with accusations of fabrication dating back to the 2006 World Cup.

** As I don’t read either publication, I dug a few articles out and must say that the quotes do sound a bit too perfect. It is not my place to say if he is living in reality or down the rabbit hole, but what I will say is this. I am a journalist and, until the recession hit, I’d had a very satisfying career and was lucky enough to interview a number of high profile people from a variety of professions while editing print and digital sports/lifestyle magazines. At present* I, like many, am scrabbling around for scraps of freelance and trying to get something off the ground under my own steam. If even one of the accusations are true, he should, quite simply, be banned from ever again touching a keyboard in the name of journalism, and the Daily Star should be heftily fined. If he’s innocent, then I’ll happily schlepp up to London to listen to the tapes. Who’s in?

Owen Blackhurst

Is right. But why let facts get in the way of a good story.

Jesus!!

It's all bollocks and not worth getting worked up about. Daily Star has absolutely no credibility whatsoever. Why the hell would a Barca player sit down with a no mark tabloid when it's even hard enough for serious journos to get in a couple of questions?

If I was a Barca representative or player representative I'd sue Daily Star to bankruptcy. These lies and fabrications are affecting their club badly and should be stopped.

I picked a copy of the Star up on Friday and they had a 2 page spread on how Torres has said he's going and City and Chelsea are the front runners etc, somebody at the Star doesn't like seeing Torres in Liverpool colours it seems.

Its probably made up, but even leaving that aside, many people felt Torres would leave this past summer. Many others came to the conclusion that Nando 'owed' us another season.

So here we are and Nando plays on at Liverpool. So far so good. But if we don't get new owners I think he is definitely off. If we do get new owners then he still might prefer to leave - it probably depends on how close we are to the CL spots. It will be a huge ask to expect Nando to play two season of his prime years out of the CL.

"I am not just saying this because I want him to join Barcelona.

it might be Barcelona.

"But I would love us to sign Nando in the summer."

I'm sure the Catalan cunts they have for supporters, will be thrilled to see Spain's Number 1 forward playing for them. :whatever:

Mes que un pub.

Torres put up for years with not challenging for leagues and cups with Atletico, so our current situation must be very familiar to him.

Its probably made up, but even leaving that aside, many people felt Torres would leave this past summer. Many others came to the conclusion that Nando 'owed' us another season.

So here we are and Nando plays on at Liverpool. So far so good. But if we don't get new owners I think he is definitely off. If we do get new owners then he still might prefer to leave - it probably depends on how close we are to the CL spots. It will be a huge ask to expect Nando to play two season of his prime years out of the CL.

G, I think the owners are key to whether he stays or not. I dont think he wants to leave. He was promised that the club would be sold and he will leave because he will feel that there's no need for him to stay. His first preference is definatly to stay here.

I dont think Torres will need much urging. He left the club he loves to come to us to win trophies. 3 years and not a single trophy and the club in the state it is in will see him out the door I believe.

I think the shit form on the pitch off some players is because of what is happening off it. The players have basically been lied to for the same amount of time as us. At what point as a player do you sit down and say to yourself "We're in exactly the same position as we were 12 months ago?"

By that I mean the clubs getting sold, the clubs not getting sold. We're gonna spend big in the summer, we haven't spent big at all. It must have an effect on the players aswell. Although they are professionals it must drag them down to be lied to.

We had this stuff 5 years ago with Gerrard. All season long, there was speculation over his future, talk of him "playing to leave" and other bullshit. When he scored that og in the League Cup Final, we were told he'd scored his "first goal" for his imaginary new club. 5 years later, he's still here.

Not saying that Torres will stay here that long, but this "story" is nothing more than gossip and rumour as well. We're probably going to have to listen to it all year long, so take it with the pinch of salt it deserves.

We had this stuff 5 years ago with Gerrard. All season long, there was speculation over his future, talk of him "playing to leave" and other bullshit. When he scored that og in the League Cup Final, we were told he'd scored his "first goal" for his imaginary new club. 5 years later, he's still here.

Not saying that Torres will stay here that long, but this "story" is nothing more than gossip and rumour as well. We're probably going to have to listen to it all year long, so take it with the pinch of salt it deserves.

Are you trying to say Gerrard wasn't thinking of leaving then?

Apparently Sid Lowe has shot this down with the line that nobody in Spain calls him 'Nando'.

Sid Lowe (sidlowe) on Twitter

WorldSoccerEd @Marcotti Another corker! Personal favourite, Robinho from 2008: "My name means Little Robin in Portuguese" Er, no it doesn't

about 3 hours ago via web in reply to Marcotti

Retweeted by sidlowe and 3 others

honigstein @Marcotti @sidlowe two remarkable exclusives from a someone who had seemingly never published a single piece before. well done!

about 2 hours ago via web

Retweeted by sidlowe and 1 other

daveygladwell @Marcotti the stories are ridiculous, the quotes are invented, no doubt about it, FCB press office now aware of the whole thing,....

23 minutes ago via HootSuite in reply to Marcotti

Retweeted by sidlowe

lol_internet_war.gif