You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerard Pique claims Fernando Torres will be embarrassed having to play in the Europa League for Liverpool and has urged him to leave the club.

The Barcelona defender, who won the World Cup with the Reds striker, believes he needs to be winning trophies rather than settling for second best.

The former Manchester United player says the 26-year-old will have to leave the Anfield giants and seek success elsewhere.

Pique told the Daily Star Sunday: "There is no way this can go on for Nando. It's just impossible.

Embarrassing

"I spoke with him before he committed to Liverpool and he told me he wanted to win things with Liverpool - but if the club didn't invest and show real intent, he would be forced to leave.

"It's really embarrassing for Nando to play in a team of that quality.

"You would not see Messi or Rooney playing in the Europa League - so there is no reason why Nando should be playing there.

"Along with David Villa, he is the best striker in the world.

"He needs to be winning things domestically like he does with Spain."

Pique completed a domestic treble with Barcelona last year and was a World Cup winner with Spain in South Africa this summer.

The defender claims Liverpool are not capable of winning trophies at the current time and has urged the striker to come and join him at Barcelona next season.

"Liverpool have shown already this season they are not capable of winning things - and that's it for him now," said Pique.

Loyalty

"Liverpool are really testing Nando's loyalty.

"For the last two seasons they have promised him they will challenge.

"They haven't delivered on it at all. The ownership of the club looks completely unstable.

"It doesn't look like the manager or the players have any faith in the club.

"There can be no questions when Nando leaves in the summer.

"Players of less quality would have left last summer.

"But he is a decent guy and believed it when they told him they would invest.

"I am not just saying this because I want him to join Barcelona.

"The truth is I don't know if he will.

"It might be Chelsea, it might be Real Madrid, it might be Barcelona.

"But I know he wants to join a club where he can win league titles and European Cups. I would love us to sign Nando in the summer."

sly sports

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the last few days an issue of journalistic integrity has been played out over the Twitter feeds of a number of respected football journalists - namely Gabrielle Marcotti, Gavin Hamilton and Sid Lowe. The journalist in question has allegedly been fabricating interviews for Nuts and the Daily Star for at least four years. The issue erupted when Sid Lowe, an expert on Spanish football, tweeted that he would “Please disregard ANY Daily Star Sunday 'interview' with players from Spain. Inventions by the week. Disgraceful” after an ‘interview’ appeared in which Iker Casiilas tipped Joe Hart to become the best goalkeeper in the world. Since this happened, both Marcotti and Hamilton, the editor of World Soccer, have been damning of Fairthorne’s methods, with accusations of fabrication dating back to the 2006 World Cup.

** As I don’t read either publication, I dug a few articles out and must say that the quotes do sound a bit too perfect. It is not my place to say if he is living in reality or down the rabbit hole, but what I will say is this. I am a journalist and, until the recession hit, I’d had a very satisfying career and was lucky enough to interview a number of high profile people from a variety of professions while editing print and digital sports/lifestyle magazines. At present* I, like many, am scrabbling around for scraps of freelance and trying to get something off the ground under my own steam. If even one of the accusations are true, he should, quite simply, be banned from ever again touching a keyboard in the name of journalism, and the Daily Star should be heftily fined. If he’s innocent, then I’ll happily schlepp up to London to listen to the tapes. Who’s in?

http://www.owenblackhurst.co.uk/owenblackhurst/Blog/Entries/2010/9/23_Lies,_Damn_Lies_and_interviews....html

Over the last few days an issue of journalistic integrity has been played out over the Twitter feeds of a number of respected football journalists - namely Gabrielle Marcotti, Gavin Hamilton and Sid Lowe. The journalist in question has allegedly been fabricating interviews for Nuts and the Daily Star for at least four years. The issue erupted when Sid Lowe, an expert on Spanish football, tweeted that he would “Please disregard ANY Daily Star Sunday 'interview' with players from Spain. Inventions by the week. Disgraceful” after an ‘interview’ appeared in which Iker Casiilas tipped Joe Hart to become the best goalkeeper in the world. Since this happened, both Marcotti and Hamilton, the editor of World Soccer, have been damning of Fairthorne’s methods, with accusations of fabrication dating back to the 2006 World Cup.

** As I don’t read either publication, I dug a few articles out and must say that the quotes do sound a bit too perfect. It is not my place to say if he is living in reality or down the rabbit hole, but what I will say is this. I am a journalist and, until the recession hit, I’d had a very satisfying career and was lucky enough to interview a number of high profile people from a variety of professions while editing print and digital sports/lifestyle magazines. At present* I, like many, am scrabbling around for scraps of freelance and trying to get something off the ground under my own steam. If even one of the accusations are true, he should, quite simply, be banned from ever again touching a keyboard in the name of journalism, and the Daily Star should be heftily fined. If he’s innocent, then I’ll happily schlepp up to London to listen to the tapes. Who’s in?

Owen Blackhurst

I'd like to take this opportunity to say that Sid Lowe is a fucking legend.

Club that spent the entire summer tapping up the Arsenal captain and Mascherano now try to turn the head of another Spanish player, via quotes from an ex-manc, all published in a paper that's just been bubbled for passing off fiction as reporting.

Struggling to see how this could have been more cuntish.

If in any way shape or form true - and that's a big IF given TPB's post - then I would think Torres would have had to have been incredibly naive to have believed that we'd be investing heavily in players. Unless he read Al's £80m war chest post and got sucked in....