You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Frustrated Daniel Agger refuses to adapt to new Liverpool FC style

Glen C

Sounds like he needs an arm around his shoulder. How come Rafa never pissed off our players like this?

Well last Wednesday he sat alongside Hodgson, smiling brightly, saying how much better the atmosphere is, how much more he enjoys training and how he's happy to play anywhere in the team.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShoePiss

Richard Buxton = gobshite twat who wants to work for the gutter press.

Buxton "Agger refuses to adapt to new Liverpool style"

Agger "I'll try to change myself"

I don't think his shite should be posted on here.

This was what onside.dk (the website for the tv channel to which the interview was given) quoted him as saying (my own translation):

- It's two games now that I've been on the bench, so let's give it a bit of time, but it's not something that I want to do permanently.

- If I knew his thinking it would be easier, but I don't.

- the style has been changed compared to when Benitez was here, when there was more passing from the back. We don't do that at all now.

- I'm not going to change myself 100 percent. I won't because I'm a footballer and I keep the ball on the ground. That's the main thing. I'm here to play football, not to hoof it.

Id have Agger and the Greek in the middle for the forseeable.

With Aurelio or Kuyt (yes Kuyt) at left back and Kelly behind Johnson on the right.

Konchesky was a total waste of money.

Carragher and Skrtel are our worst combo back there right now.

You would have THOUGHT that Hodgson would see this.

Nurse! He's out of bed again nurse!

why?!

he wants to play and he's arguably the most skillful cb on our books

i'd be well peeved if i was him

So would I. In fact, I recommend that all our players who are not in the team and don't feel they're getting a fair crack of the whip should tell the newspapers so we can all read about it. It's the only thing these managers understand.

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/liverpool-fc/1210783-daniel-agger-refuses-to-adapt-to-new-liverpool-fc-style.html

by Richard Buxton. Published Mon 20 Sep 2010 11:20, Last updated: 2010-09-20

Daniel Agger has admitted that he is frustrated by Roy Hodgson’s style of play at Liverpool.

The attack-minded defender will be eager to forget his brief cameo at Old Trafford yesterday after failing to prevent the cross that led to Dimitar Berbatov’s winning goal just two minutes after he had replaced Paul Konchesky at left-back.

Agger, who was also left out of the starting line-up against Birmingham City last weekend, has lifted the lid on his frustrations behind Hodgson’s approach to games and has refused to alter his natural game despite fears that it could see him overlooked for a regular place in the side.

"The manager's philosophy is that we play football in attack, but not at the back. That's not my style," he told Sporten.dk

“I'm not that type of player. I like to keep the ball on the ground, and that's what I'll keep doing. Time will show if he [Hodgson] doesn't want to play me because of that".

"I'll try to change myself, but I will never be a player who offloads the ball at every opportunity."

"I'll fight for my chance. I know what I stand for, and I think he [Hodgson] does too".

Problem is, Agger wasn't 1st defender in that situation.

He is our best defender at the moment. So too against the mancs.

New Liverpool FC style of football ?

Have I been asleep for the past 15 years and missed something ? With the exception of big Sami and Agger himself, we've done nowt but play alehouse stuff and hoof the fuck out of the ball at every conceivable opportunity for at least a decade.

Pepe Reina is a more accomplished passer of the football than almost all of our players, and most of the fucking charlatans should be ashamed.

A bit harsh on Aurelio and Steve Finnan that (possibly Mark Wright and Markus Babbel too..). The mainstay of Carra at FB and CB has contributed to the hoofing, that's for sure... I love him for his positioning and reading of the game, but now is the time to make the change and keep him (mostly at least) on the bench. The season is a write-off under the current manager anyway, so why not try to build a solid defensive base (even if it means bringing Kyrgiakos in, he can play the role of physically imposing CB until Wisdom or Coady or someone we buy are ready)

Martin remember what you said to me yesterday mate. Practice, preach etc.

Fair enough, it was hypocritical and unnecessary. Sorry FF!

The point I was not so subtly trying to make is that regardless of who is manager there will always be some players who are dissatisfied with the order of things.

Daniel Agger today hit back at suggestions he has criticised the Reds' style of play under manager Roy Hodgson and insisted: "I'm happy at Liverpool."

The Reds' defender spoke to Danish TV following Sunday's defeat to Manchester United, after which quotes attributed to him emerged in the Danish press which seemed to indicate he was unhappy with the role he was being asked to play in the Liverpool team.

Agger was keen to set the record straight when he sat down with Liverpoolfc.tv at Melwood today.

"I am very disappointed with the papers in Denmark for the way they have done this story," he said. "I spoke to Danish TV after the game on Sunday and answered the questions that were put to me. I didn't speak to the papers.

"The problem was the questions never appeared on TV, only the answers did, and then the newspapers put their own questions in. What came out was one hundred per cent wrong and that is why I am very disappointed.

"An example is the quote about me not playing long balls. The TV journalist asked me what I needed to do to get back into the team and suggested I should start hitting more long balls. I said I wouldn't do that because I'm not that kind of player. That's where that quote came from.

"I actually think we play good football and that we have showed that against Manchester United and against Arsenal.

"What I don't understand is that it was only a few days ago when I spoke to the media ahead of the Steaua Bucharest game and I think I said everybody at the club was happier now with the new manager, the new players and the new methods. It's strange to read this just a few days later but that's the way the media works, especially in Denmark. They don't have much to write about so they look for every little thing and try to make a big sensation out of it.

"I have been involved in every game this season. Of course I'm disappointed when I'm not in the team, but I have been here for five years and really like it here. I wouldn't have stayed for this long if I didn't like it or if I was unhappy. I am still happy and will keep fighting for my place."

Author: Paul Snuffly Eaton

Agger sets record straight - Liverpool FC

DT - thanks for the translation above.

My view on Agger's comments are that they have some merit, but they are ill advised. There are enough problems in and around the club at the moment, and it's not good for Agger to be speaking out so early into Roy's reign.

On another note, I'm interested to see others getting on the Kyrgiakos/Agger 'bandwagon' (if that's the right word).

I've been saying that on a few different threads. The Greek is the best header of the ball we have. He is strong and brave. We need that in the middle of the defence as we are starting to look a bit soft. Agger is the best candidate in the middle of the defence to use the ball well, or even to step out with it and launch attacking play that way. I think this partnership should be tried, even if at the moment they appear to be third and fourth choice.