You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Frustrated Daniel Agger refuses to adapt to new Liverpool FC style

Glen C

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/liverpool-fc/1210783-daniel-agger-refuses-to-adapt-to-new-liverpool-fc-style.html

by Richard Buxton. Published Mon 20 Sep 2010 11:20, Last updated: 2010-09-20

Daniel Agger has admitted that he is frustrated by Roy Hodgson’s style of play at Liverpool.

The attack-minded defender will be eager to forget his brief cameo at Old Trafford yesterday after failing to prevent the cross that led to Dimitar Berbatov’s winning goal just two minutes after he had replaced Paul Konchesky at left-back.

Agger, who was also left out of the starting line-up against Birmingham City last weekend, has lifted the lid on his frustrations behind Hodgson’s approach to games and has refused to alter his natural game despite fears that it could see him overlooked for a regular place in the side.

"The manager's philosophy is that we play football in attack, but not at the back. That's not my style," he told Sporten.dk

“I'm not that type of player. I like to keep the ball on the ground, and that's what I'll keep doing. Time will show if he [Hodgson] doesn't want to play me because of that".

"I'll try to change myself, but I will never be a player who offloads the ball at every opportunity."

"I'll fight for my chance. I know what I stand for, and I think he [Hodgson] does too".

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agger was the first to say publicly that Rafa's going meant nothing to him - he worked for the club not for the manager. Then last week he gave an interview in Denmark which was translated to say in effect that everybody was very much happier at the club with the change in regime. A week later he is criticising the new regime in a fundamental way.

It shows again that players are mainly interested in themselves. A manager is good if he plays him and offers contract extensions and bad if he doesn't.

That said, he has a point about Hodgson's style of play and selections.

I always get nervous when I read a mini-expose like this, we don't need the instability. However, we certainly do have more fluidity when Agger plays CB - he has a great fighting spirit too that makes him captain material, imho. A ball playing CB is something that is hard to counter.

I prefer the pairing of Kyrgiakos and Daniel Agger, than Carra and Skrtel at the mo.

Kuyt (yes Kuyt) at left back

You would have THOUGHT that Hodgson would see this.

I'm not usually short of words but I've been staring at the screen for about five minutes now and I'm no closer to being able to articulate my thoughts than I was when I first read that. I think my brain has actually blown a fuse.

I'm a bit surprised at this to be honest. Agger's got a good skillset, surely he'd be an asset to a team that struggles with possession?

i'm also a tad mystified as to whay Skrtel selected ahead of Agger

agree with others who say that Carra is way of the pace (as has been for a while now)

Agger and the Greek together wouldn't be the worst defensive partnership like

I have to be honest Agger shouldn't have said anything.

But now that he has and if it's true and one would suspect it is, it gives the clearest signal yet of our direction under Roy.

I've got to be honest while I'm not surprised given Roy's background, I find Agger's comments actually to be the most concerning thing of all, even more so than the results and performances so far.

Anywhere else (especially had he gone to Milan) and I reckon Agger would be knocking on the door of being a World Class CB now.

What is he missing? He reads the game well, he is quality on the deck and proved time and time again he can improve his game. He used to get bullied a bit in the air and by stronger players but no more. He stays on his feet well and overall I'd argue with anyone he's the most complete CB we have.

I completely agree with those that say he and Soto should start not Carra and Skrtel. Sorry but Carra in any team with ambition would have been told he could be a valuable and sued squad player or chance his arm elsewhere. I love the lad for what he's given us but when Scholes and Giggs hit that age they were benched and had to prove themselves again, they did due to them being so good but I doubt Carra would.

Skrtel is just a woeful CB and I had a bet that United would score from a header for the simple fact we show teams outside and can't fucking head a ball when they take it!

I have to be honest Agger shouldn't have said anything.

But now that he has and if it's true and one would suspect it is, it gives the clearest signal yet of our direction under Roy.

I've got to be honest while I'm not surprised given Roy's background, I find Agger's comments actually to be the most concerning thing of all, even more so than the results and performances so far.

why?!

he wants to play and he's arguably the most skillful cb on our books

i'd be well peeved if i was him

He shouldn't be coming out and having a go in public.

He deserves to be in the team because Carra and Skrtel have been shit.

Unless you think describing Hodgson's tactical instructions is critical, which would be a different problem, I don't think he has had a go. Certainly not to the extent the provocative headline would have you believe.

I'm not usually short of words but I've been staring at the screen for about five minutes now and I'm no closer to being able to articulate my thoughts than I was when I first read that. I think my brain has actually blown a fuse.

Kuyt did well for Holland down the left mid in the wc. hes proved he can operate down the left, and at least he never stops running.

Dont see why he would be any worse than any of our current options if Aurelio doesnt play regularly. He would hardly be slower than Konchesky.

Its no more a leap of faith than playing Aurelio in the midfield.

Hes absolutely no loss from the forward line.

Weve got a negative journeyman chump in charge. 5 years ago your brain would have melted at that thought, never mind blown a fuse.

Im not seriously advocating this but it wouldnt be the most bizarre thing to have happened.

All our mangers have liked signing a player and then immediately switching their position.

It makes them look "clever". They win fuck all but they look "clever".

Also youve paraphrased my post to make it look like i think it should be obvious to Hodgson to pick Kuyt there.

I was clearly referring to the centre back combo being obvious, as it is to many on here already.

Glad ive perked you all up a bit.:whistle:

Edited by thompsonsnose

New Liverpool FC style of football ?

Have I been asleep for the past 15 years and missed something ? With the exception of big Sami and Agger himself, we've done nowt but play alehouse stuff and hoof the fuck out of the ball at every conceivable opportunity for at least a decade.

Pepe Reina is a more accomplished passer of the football than almost all of our players, and most of the fucking charlatans should be ashamed.