You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

stardorman

Possibly. Probably, even. But I am not sure he would have done much better in our opening fixtures.

And if Rafa is the answer, we are asking the wrong question in my view. The answer doesn't appear to be Hodgson either, but I'll give him a bit longer.

The answer is new owners.

Hodgson got fucked over with transfer funds in the summer.

He's still making us look worse that we should be, though.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

based on current performances and league position how could anyone say that rafa would not be a better option? we were 4 points better off after 5 games, we had ambition and didnt have a manager who would occasionly phone alex for a chat and a bit of advice and most of all we knew that our manager had the potential to take us to the next level. the next level for roy will be the championship.

He told Benayoun to go and Mascherano wanted to leave before Rafa went. All the other decent players are still here.

That shows who was having the biggest negative effect on the players.

Don't take this wrong, but you're full of shit. You know nothing about Rafa or the players.

Mascherano wanted to go and Rafa persuaded him to stay using his authority as a strong manager to warn off Barcelona. Mascherano has recently spoken highly of Rafa as his "teacher" who was responsible for his "development" and he would have gone to Inter if there had been an offer.

Benayoun several times over two years talked to the press about leaving if he was not played enough. Every time Rafa coralled him in. Benayoun then said Rafa was a wonderful manager. When Benayoun got a sniff from Chelsea he gave Rafa an ultimatum - he would leave if he was not first choice. Rafa said, then leave if you must, for the right price. When Benayoun left, he was persued by Bascombe who's leading anti-Rafa questions prompted Benayoun to repeat his whining about how Rafa had never played him enough.

The fact that most of the players stayed is due in part to the fact that Rafa tied them down with long contracts and the fact that Hodgson did not want to replace them. Any one of them could have left if they put in a transfer request and if another club was willing to pay their wages and a transfer fee. Maybe some of them regret that they didn't.

How does that post in any way, shape or form answer my question(s)?

it doesn't

i just thought it would be interesting to see the results / games played at this stage last season

last season i thought we started well but gradually got worse and worse around late Oct / Nov time

our first games last season were deffo easier than our fixtures this seaosn though

but i'd never have Rafa back

and most of all we knew that our manager had the potential to take us to the next level

Really?!

Rafa's stock reached it's peak in 2006 for me

after that - bar the signing of Torres - it was all down hill

much of it due to Rafa's own scheming and engineering

granted our owners are vile cunts but Rafa did not help himself one little bit in the handling of his/the situation

Bringing up the owners, while true they are the main problem, is missing the point re: Roy

Nobody expected the owners to grant a large transfer budget (or any budget to speak of) and having another transfer window with a net profit confirms that

Roy was SUPPOSED to be a great man manager to turn the players around from "Rafa's boring and ineffective style of play"

I have consistently and will consistently say this:

The great players we have were developed and fostered by Rafa. They were only world class BECAUSE of Rafa's tactics and strategies, not in spite of it.

Valencia found that out when Rafa left, when Aimar, Ayala etc suddenly became somewhat less than world class

My predictions that I have posted several times before:

1) Gerrard will not score 20 goals a season under Roy

2) Torres will not be the world class striker he was under Rafa, merely a "good" striker, like his Spanish form, not his previous Liverpool form

3) Carra will become decidedly average. No doubt age will contribute to that, but without zonal marking, his flaws will be much more apparent

4) Reina, while excellent, will not have the number of clean sheets as we are used to, ie vying for the golden gloves or winning it again.

No doubt they are all world class players, but they need to be under a world class manager to make them tick.

I am sure a great manager besides Rafa, like Hiddink, or Ancellotti (he is doing well this season) or Maureen may be able to do the same, but not Roy based on the current evidence

I would take Rafa back if new owners come back and wants him back. Why? Continuity. He has only left 3 months, it won't be a major upheaval to get the players back under his system, and much of his staff etc are still there.

I have no doubt Rafa would have won us the league if he was supported financially his tenure here.

As for his supposed "scheming and engineering", memories are short here aren't they? EVERY time he came out to the press, its because the owners "leak" something to the press and he has to counter. EVERY FUCKING TIME

A manager shouldn't have to defend himself against his employers in the press and battle the owners throughout his tenure. Thats a recipe for disaster. Its a miracle that we did as well as we did the past few seasons

It is no wonder a lesser manager is wilting so early on.

Bringing up the owners, while true they are the main problem, is missing the point re: Roy

Nobody expected the owners to grant a large transfer budget (or any budget to speak of) and having another transfer window with a net profit confirms that

Roy was SUPPOSED to be a great man manager to turn the players around from "Rafa's boring and ineffective style of play"

I have consistently and will consistently say this:

The great players we have were developed and fostered by Rafa. They were only world class BECAUSE of Rafa's tactics and strategies, not in spite of it.

Valencia found that out when Rafa left, when Aimar, Ayala etc suddenly became somewhat less than world class

My predictions that I have posted several times before:

1) Gerrard will not score 20 goals a season under Roy

2) Torres will not be the world class striker he was under Rafa, merely a "good" striker, like his Spanish form, not his previous Liverpool form

3) Carra will become decidedly average. No doubt age will contribute to that, but without zonal marking, his flaws will be much more apparent

4) Reina, while excellent, will not have the number of clean sheets as we are used to, ie vying for the golden gloves or winning it again.

No doubt they are all world class players, but they need to be under a world class manager to make them tick.

I am sure a great manager besides Rafa, like Hiddink, or Ancellotti (he is doing well this season) or Maureen may be able to do the same, but not Roy based on the current evidence

I would take Rafa back if new owners come back and wants him back. Why? Continuity. He has only left 3 months, it won't be a major upheaval to get the players back under his system, and much of his staff etc are still there.

I have no doubt Rafa would have won us the league if he was supported financially his tenure here.

As for his supposed "scheming and engineering", memories are short here aren't they? EVERY time he came out to the press, its because the owners "leak" something to the press and he has to counter. EVERY FUCKING TIME

A manager shouldn't have to defend himself against his employers in the press and battle the owners throughout his tenure. Thats a recipe for disaster. Its a miracle that we did as well as we did the past few seasons

It is no wonder a lesser manager is wilting so early on.

Would Rep you if I could. Spot on in so many ways, Roy will not get 20 goals this year out of Torres, Reina will not be as reliable and consistent without Valero, Gerrard constantly swapping positions will limit him.