You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would like to see

-----------Reina------------

Johnson-Carra--Skrtel--Konchesky

-------Meireles--Poulsen---------

Maxi---------Stevie---------Cole

-------------Torres-------------

expect Jovo to play on the left with Cole behind striker, Stevie in midfield and Meireles on the bench

After some consideration, I reckon I would play:

--------------Reina

Johnson---Carra----Agger---Konchesky

----------Gerrard--Poulsen

Cole-----------------------Jovanovic

--------------Meireles

--------------Torres

For me, Gerrard has to be in the middle where he can be most involved. I can sort of see an argument for playing Lucas in the circumstances, but I would be more inclined to go with Poulsen because he can offer us more. After that it's a straight choice between Cole and Meireles for the position behind Torres. Either one is fine with me, although obviously if Cole plays there then Meireles won't start. If Meireles plays there he can drop back into midfield if required and Cole has to start either right or left. Then it's obviously either Maxi or Jovanovic who starts on the side that Cole doesn't. To keep the balance I would favour Cole on the right, especially since Jovanovic works hard tracking back, which we will need against their wide players.

The key to the whole game for me is that we are positive, that the player behind Torres closes Scholes down quickly (another good reason for Meireles to play there), and that we don't leave Torres himself isolated. It will be a very tough game and I would definitely take a point, but we should be going there to try and win. That's what I want to see - a line up and approach that attempts to win the game.

would like to see

-----------Reina------------

Johnson-Carra--Skrtel--Konchesky

-------Meireles--Poulsen---------

Maxi---------Stevie---------Cole

-------------Torres-------------

expect Jovo to play on the left with Cole behind striker, Stevie in midfield and Meireles on the bench

That should be the one (would be happy with Agger over Skrtel but not arsed either way).

Need as many players as possible who are able to keep hold of the ball and the above has got that.

I think this is a game where we have to play Gerrard deeper. He has looked isolated and out of sorts playing behind Torres this season, and we have other players who can play in that position. We don't have anyone else who can dominate in the real midfield battle. There is no combination of Lucas, Meireles and Poulsen that I would really be happy with in this game, especially since with the exception of Lucas-Poulsen (which I think we all agree we never want to see again) the other combinations have never actually played together before.

I agree with a lot of the teams posted on here but to be controversial I'd like to see:

Reina

Johnson

Carra

Agger

Konchesky

Maxi

Gerrard

Raul

Cole

Babel

Torres

My reasoning for playing Babel upfront is simple. He came to us as a striker we know he come up with a goal or two so why not surprise the Mancs and go at them with an attacking line up.

Starting to feel shit already about this, usually gets me on the morning of the match. Just can't get what happened last season out of my head when we started so well then it turned out like it did, it crushed me. The good thing is the memory of what happened the season before and our recent record against them, but it doesn't stop the crappy feeling.

If we score first we cannot sit back, unless it's almost over or something. Got to press at them and pressure the midfield as much as possible.

As long as we have either Gerrard or Meireles in centre midfield I fancy our chances of winning.

I personally wouldn't start Maxi as I think he has been disapointing so far this season.

Would probably start like this:

--------------Reina

Johnson---Carra----Agger---Konchesky

----------Gerrard--Poulsen

Cole-----------------------Jovanovic

--------------Meireles

--------------Torres

and then used Babel as an impact sub in the last 20 minutes or so.

I think we will sit back all the way through, which will just invite pressure.

I hope not, as the way Scholes is playing that could be very dangerous.

I think we need to press them, with high tempo and giving themk little time and space on the ball.

I hope not, as the way Scholes is playing that could be very dangerous.

I think we need to press them, with high tempo and giving themk little time and space on the ball.

I don't think we're capable of playing with a high tempo.

I think we'll sit back and invite pressure, 9 men behind the ball, Torres isolated. You know that's how we'll set up.