You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerrard too deep.

Konchesky shredded consistently, which was surprising as he was decent for Fulham against them earlier this season.

Torres was given almost nothing to work with. His 'marking' of Berbatov for the goal was pants.

I felt Poulsen was anonymous.

Johnson, Skrtel and Carra need dropping.

Cole was true to form, popped up occasionally, yet the game by and large passed him by.

Roy atleast reacted with a substitution on the hour mark, but I felt he made the wrong sub (unless of course fitness or injury was the issue for Mereiles).

Again didn't like the post match comments.

Watching Blackpool, down 4, pepper the Chavs goal, forcing Cech to make save after save. No budget, no world class players, just good coaching and the right philosophy.

Carra needs dropping, not babysitting.

Sadly, he's been in decline since the run-in to the 08-09 season: imperceptible at first, but in hindsight that Arsenal 4-4 game when Arshavin ran him ragged was a sign of things to come. He can't live on willpower alone any more, not with the brainless Skrtel beside him in any case. Indeed, i don't think Carra's ever looked as good as he did when partnered by Hyypia.

The sad thing is that rather being gradually pensioned off, instead he's being offered a three-year extension: I guess it saves the need to buy a replacement for £20m, which is what a world-class centre-back (like Jamie used to be) would cost these days. He should be no more than a bit-part player given his age and declining form. A three-year deal is ridiculous (even Scholes and Giggs only get one-year extensions at a time), but all too predictable of our club.

I agree with this. I actually thought we played well at times and Gerrard, Meireles and Poulsen were great together. We lost the game when we took off Meireles and let them win the midfield-battle again. Stupid decision as Meireles really looked like a quality player. I think we should play the same attacking six as today for the rest of the season. They showed us today at times that they have the potential to play good football.

Our defence was on the other hand horrendous. I think, though, that it would do us wonders if we had Agger in the line instead of Skrtel. I am really not a big fan of him. He is too unintelligent and confused in his game.

I am very dissapointed that we lost today but in my opinion we could aswell have won 3-2. If we have the same approach and play with the same attack for the rest of the season as we did today in the period from 0-2 to 2-2 (plus 5-10 minutes) we really should beat the most of the teams in the league. We have the potential to play some great football, I just hope we want to aswell.

Other than Berbatovs obvious contribution Mereles was the best plyer on the pitch.

And the saggy eyed twat took him off.

Unforgiveable.

Guest ShoePiss
Other than Berbatovs obvious contribution Mereles was the best plyer on the pitch.

And the saggy eyed twat took him off.

Unforgiveable.

Completely unnecessary

Meireles by all accounts played very well, but I'd guess the reason for taking him off was that he was blowing a bit after playing on Thursday too. He looked promising in his debut cameo last week, and played very well in midweek, so going by today's impression he looks to be a very good player to have in the side.

I'm not sure what your point is? Are you trying to tell us that last season's results are acceptable for Hodgson this season?

Acceptable in your eyes probably not but with the fixture list as it is this start is pretty understandable. Unless we performed well we were always going to struggle.

To put things into some kind of perspective, we have the same number of points from the fixtures we've played as we did from the corresponding fixtures last season.

Unless putting something into perspective means making up something, I don't think that's correct.

We didn't play West Brom last year if you're referring to the teams and if you're referring to the first 5 games we had 9 pts.

Sadly, he's been in decline since the run-in to the 08-09 season: imperceptible at first, but in hindsight that Arsenal 4-4 game when Arshavin ran him ragged was a sign of things to come. He can't live on willpower alone any more, not with the brainless Skrtel beside him in any case. Indeed, i don't think Carra's ever looked as good as he did when partnered by Hyypia.

The sad thing is that rather being gradually pensioned off, instead he's being offered a three-year extension: I guess it saves the need to buy a replacement for £20m, which is what a world-class centre-back (like Jamie used to be) would cost these days. He should be no more than a bit-part player given his age and declining form. A three-year deal is ridiculous (even Scholes and Giggs only get one-year extensions at a time), but all too predictable of our club.

Top post.

Roy picked the line up today that people more or less wanted so I don't see what more he could have done to be honest. We wanted him not to play Lucas and Poulsen, we got that. We are trying to bed three new players into the starting line up in probably our most difficult game of the season. I expected us to lose, we nearly always lose at OT, fact of life. Rafa's record was absolutely dreadful there apart from the 4-1 so it isn't anything new really. We had a 1-2, 0-1, 0-2, 0-3, 4-1 and a 1-2 under Rafa there and some of them games were much worse than what we seen today.

We didn't play well by any stretch today and were second best throughout apart from when we got it back to 2-1 but we were only a few minutes away from getting a draw.

I am watching Chelsea thrash Blackpool here and Chelsea couldn't have hand picked their first five games any better if they had tried whereas we under a new manager have had three of last seasons top five and a team unbeaten at home in a year.

The next two games v Sunderland and Blackpool are massive and six points are a must, the team is low on confidence but if we get a couple of good home wins under our belt then beat Everton then things will have a different complexion. We have got some of our most difficult games out of the way now so we will hopefully kick on from here.

How many more do you "Expect us to lose"? Will you accept a loss to Sunderland? Will you accept a loss to Newcastle - perhaps a draw to Blackpool will make you happy.

5 games - 5 points. That's relegation form - and all for only £8 Mill.

Roy picked the line up today ....... I expected us to lose...we didn't play well by any stretch today and were second best throughout .......next two games v Sunderland and Blackpool are massive and six points are a must, the team is low on confidence.......

Since your only justification for your campaign on here against Rafa was the team's results last year (although you were on your campaign when we were still a point or two from the top four) - can we assume you will soon start your campaign against Hodgson based on his worse results?

I don't have any real problems with the selection or substitutions as it's basically what I would have picked myself, but I am pissed off that once again we failed to turn up for the whole of the first half. We defended deeply from the off and barely looked like creating a chance until, what, Johnson's shot? I'm sick of seeing us surrender the initiative and attempting to "contain" everyone we play. It's just not good enough.

I would also say that I don't think Poulsen is good enough (he's basically an older version of Lucas) and Maxi is far too much of a passenger. I thought Gerrard and Meireles put good shifts in, but Torres was mediocre yet again.

Anyway, we have clearly had a tough start, but we badly need to kick on now. We need to start taking the game to the opposition and trying to score some fucking goals. We have - on paper at least - a relatively easy run coming up now, and we have to make the most of it. There can't be any excuses or negative fucking comments from the manager. Can you imagine what it will be like on here if we lose to Blackpool, for example? It's just unthinkable.

Even if they are four down at Stamford Bridge, Blackpool must have created more chances there this match than us the last five seasons.

Imagine us playing like that...only once.

Six players in the box to get to the end to crosses. Central deenders starting snd finishing off attacks.

Imagine better players trying to do the same.

Fuck the result here..it's all about attitude, and Holloway says fuck off to all those who thinks he should lay down and die even before a second is played.

Let's go for it, no matter who we play.

Let' decide to take chances, not being forced to take a few after getting a goal or two down

8 strikers in the squad today.

Wonderful!

So different from the dire game of balance performed by chessplayers nowadays.

Attack, attack, attack.

I'm sure the Blackpool fans are dead proud of their players today.

They're getting beat 4-0. The fact they've had a few shots on target means fuck all at the end of the day.

You're so wrong. They're getting the most of their ability, and they're playing without fear. That's why their fans are clapping and singing like maniacs.

I'd like to see that from us. I have a lot of respect for Blackpool.