You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

'Michael Owen' was it worth it?!?!

AGGERaphobic

Maybe he was never gonna be as loved or ever have the same kind of adulation as 'God' on Merseyside but history in time would have had the younger generation of Scousers talking about the boy wonder who was after all a fantastic player for us which can't really be denied!!

So now after a frustrating bit-part role with our bitterest rivals where he has started just five league games it looks like he could be finding salvation with good old Ged at Villa.

Probably been done to death on here and i can only apologise for that ,but still can't help thinking, Michael Owen i hope it was worth it, you are a CUNT!!!!!! (6)

Couldn't care less that he joined United it was the way he left us that I'm angry about.

Newcastle had been relegated, Rafa didn't want him back, and United were the only other big club intested in him. He's not a Liverpool fan so career wise that was the best alternative move for him at the time.

What I'm bitter about is the way he strung us along and dwindled his contract down so we only got a fraction of the transfer fee we should have. He said at Xmas 2003 that if we didn't qualify for the CL at the end of that season that he'd be on his way. The flip side of that statement would suggest that if we did qualify for the CL then he'd stay. Low and behold we qualified and he still fooked off!

What I'm bitter about is the way he strung us along and dwindled his contract down so we only got a fraction of the transfer fee we should have. He said at Xmas 2003 that if we didn't qualify for the CL at the end of that season that he'd be on his way. The flip side of that statement would suggest that if we did qualify for the CL then he'd stay. Low and behold we qualified and he still fooked off!

I was saying sell him nearly 2 years before he went. He was just waiting for the right club to make their move. A week before he left he said he was ready to sign a contract, then he did - for Real Madrid.

Slightly off topic but didn't we have a gentlemens' agreement with Real that we'd rest Owen for our CL qualifier on the Tuesday night and in turn they'd rest Morrientes in their qualifier the following night as that was supposed to be the original player swap.

We did our bit but then they went and played Morrientes, cup tying him, then we ended up with the even less effective Nunez. I hate that club with a passion.

From the BBC. I cannot find the report that has Judas telling fans not to worry as it was nearly signed. The cunt.

Owen departure puts heat on Liverpool

By Phil McNulty

Chief football writer

Michael Owen was touted as one of the prime movers in Liverpool's decision to appoint Rafael Benitez as successor to the sacked Gerard Houllier.

Owen to join Real

Liverpool's hierarchy admitted they consulted senior players about Houllier's replacement - and it is safe to say that Owen would have been at the front of the queue with Steven Gerrard.

Owen, so it was said, wanted Benitez in charge at Anfield after being impressed by the way he master-minded Valencia's Champions League demolition of Liverpool.

So, it is with a sense of truly dramatic irony that Owen is the biggest casualty of the winds of change being blown through Anfield by Benitez.

As everyone watched and waited for Patrick Vieira to be paraded at the Bernabeu, Owen - as he has done so often in a Liverpool career spanning 297 games and 158 goals - stole in unnoticed to claim the prize.

In a summer of speculation centring on Vieira and Everton's Wayne Rooney, no-one banked on Owen being the biggest name on the move.

Owen's career statistics

Indeed, as recently as the pre-season trip to America, Owen was making all the noises that suggested signing a new Liverpool contract was a formality.

But there were whispers that he did not want to commit for as long as Liverpool wanted, and stories have since emerged that Owen's relationship with Benitez has not been smooth.

No deal was done and Liverpool's board, terrified at the prospect of losing Owen on a Bosman after Steve McManaman took the same route to the Bernabeu, have accepted an £8m-plus-player deal that is at best cut-price, and at worst a steal.

Benitez has played a tough game with Owen

This combination of circumstances led to the stunning chain of events that has Owen at the gates of the Bernabeu in the summer's biggest transfer surprise.

It is also a move of startling bravery by Benitez, who is making a massive statement of intent early in his Anfield reign and is apparently more than willing to sanction Owen's departure.

The word from inside Liverpool's Melwood traing camp is that Benitez has made his mark by breaking up a so-called Scouse "clique" involving Owen, Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and Danny Murphy.

Murphy has gone and Owen is going - to be replaced by a succession of Spanish stars well known to Benitez.

Owen departs Liverpool with his place in the club's history books assured, particularly for the two goals that almost single-handedly won the FA Cup against Arsenal in 2001.

He is, unjustly, regarded with respect rather than true affection among Liverpool fans, never quite reaching the iconic level of Robbie Fowler, or more recently Gerrard.

It is a status that may have made his departure easier to bear for player and club - but still a departure that leaves a massive void to fill.

Milan Baros won the Golden Boot at Euro 2004, but his radar has been notoriously unreliable at club level, while £14m Djibril Cisse is still unproven in the Premiership.

But Benitez is known for ruthlessness, and it is clear he feels Liverpool's life can go on without Owen.

Those supporting Owen's departure suggest Liverpool have become one-dimensional with him in the side, relying too much on his pace and goal-scoring.

Gerrard will be unhappy at Owen's departure

Time will tell whether Liverpool will be more rounded without their master marksman.

Owen will regard the move to Madrid as the ultimate opportunity to fill a trophy cabinet that is short of the top honours a player of his stature deserves.

He is best known for his boyish appearance, but Owen has a ruthlessly single-minded approach and will back himself to win a regular place, even in competition with the "galacticos" Raul and Ronaldo.

It will add an extra layer to his game that will also benefit England.

Owen will leave a legacy at Liverpool - not least in the mind of captain Gerrard.

Gerrard had a last-minute change of heart about a £31m summer move to Chelsea, presumably on the promise of big new signings to take Liverpool forward.

What he did not have in mind was that the plan would include the sale of close friend Danny Murphy, and the departure of Liverpool's other world-class player and England colleague Owen.

Gerrard is unlikely to be elated at this dramatic turn of events. He may even feel a sense of betrayal.

So while Owen leaves, the effects of this stunning deal may not have finished reverberating through Anfield yet.

Academy: Want to be as quick as Michael Owen?

Is there anyone more boring that Michael dullard Owen? I don't even bat an eyelid when he says stuff about United. In fact whatever he says just tends to send me to sleep. Try watching him in an interview without nodding off. It's impossible. He makes David Beckham sound interesting. He's narcolepsy on legs and he's only saying it because he knows nobody gives a shit about him anymore. The best way to treat Michael Owen is the way he treats everyone but himself; cold apathy.

'Nail on the head' won't be remembered by any of his former clubs with any fondness which is a shame coz the boy literally had the world at his feet, which i'd like to see get broken if he manages to get on on Sunday!!

On the upside he left for Madrid and we won the C.L that season which is wonderfully ironic as i'm sure one of the reasons he left was to win that very competition!! Maybe he had his head turned by Macca's achievements, one day we might find out when he writes another tediously boring book (which has since been burned)

Second to only that even bigger CUNT gary neville on my all-time cuntometer!!

Second to only that even bigger CUNT gary neville on my all-time cuntometer!!

No chance. Much as I hate Gary Neville I can respect him for his rapport with his club and fans. Owen is an ubercunt Gary Neville wannabe who fucked off the club who made him and will never have the respect of anyone. Ever.

What does Messi have to say on the matter? He seems to comment on this club most days of the week.

He released the following statement but retracted it after learning Owen plays for the Mancs:

"Michael won't play for the club again, I can assure you of that, and I think the Liverpool coach knows that now."

"Michael's family are unhappy and the pressure of seeing that is making him depressed. Liverpool must act humanely and let him go."