You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy M

Which option is closest to your thinking on Roy?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. Which option is closest to your thinking on Roy?

• I like Roy and I would like to see him given time to succeed.
    • Not my first choice, but he's here and I'd like to see him given time before I make a judgement.
    • He may/may not have been the right choice, but from what I've seen I've got no faith in him.
    • I don't want him here, and I want him sacked before any more damage is done.

But apart from them!

Can't really argue that five players missing is the same team really, especially considering Benny has gone as well.

I think last year was abysmal and not good enough, and I don't really like the assumption that more of the same will be fair enough. To me, the team is good enough to challenge the top four.

Me neither, mate, and I certainly hope other fans (let alone those at the club) won't accept a season like the last one. A top four finish should be a realistic expectation for the players and the manager.

Ah right, I see.

Think most people gave him just a bit longer than four league games before they made up their minds, though.

Good job. We lost the third to Bolton. Interestingly enough, the fifth league match for Rafa was United too. After that match (which we lost), we had 7 points from the first 5 matches. Roy has a chance to beat that and if he does, i bet things will be a lot jollier on here.

Good job. We lost the third to Bolton. Interestingly enough, the fifth league match for Rafa was United too. After that match (which we lost), we had 7 points from the first 5 matches. Roy has a chance to beat that and if he does, i bet things will be a lot jollier on here.

I just generally don't see the point in trying to make serious judgements after four league games (three of which have been very difficult fixtures), Jimbo, especially as it's a World Cup year, so a lot of our players still aren't going to be close to full fitness. Granted the football in those games has been extremely poor, and if he continues to make the same mistakes (Poulsen and Lucas as a partnership, far too cautious set up etc) then he should rightly be criticised, but for me, it's going to be until around Christmas time before we can even begin to get a proper idea of where we're at under Roy.

Because he's the new manager of Liverpool Football Club, and as such deserve time to prove himself here, just like all of his predecessors have had.

Someone asked the question earlier about "would we feel the same if King Kenny was appointed" - I'll turn that around and ask you would you feel that someone like Allardyce/Brown/Curbishley should be "given time to prove themselves?

In what way would you expect Hodgson/Allardyce/Brown etc etc to change their management style simply because Two American Leeches gave them this position ?

I just generally don't see the point in trying to make serious judgements after four league games (three of which have been very difficult fixtures), Jimbo, especially as it's a World Cup year, so a lot of our players still aren't going to be close to full fitness. Granted the football in those games has been extremely poor, and if he continues to make the same mistakes (Poulsen and Lucas as a partnership, far too cautious set up etc) then he should rightly be criticised, but for me, it's going to be until around Christmas time before we can even begin to get a proper idea of where we're at under Roy.

I don't understand this - you seem to be suggesting that his previous 30 year record is to be ignored and he should be allowed to start from scratch again?

I find that bizarre.

I had my doubts about Hodgson before he got appointed and I feel I put forward valid points as well to state why.

Key words being lack of goals scored by his teams in the league throughout his career and lack of points won during a season in the league throughout his career.

For him to succeed at Liverpool in the current climate we will have to see a major change in attitude from Hodgson when it comes to his approach.

Life long Liverpool supporter, a former player under Hodgson and current FC København coach Ståle Solbakken backed this up when he said, Roys main challenge would be to change his approach against "the lesser" teams and try go for the kill by pushing players forward, somehing thats needed if you want to fight at the top of the PL table.

It saddens me to say it, but so far my doubts have been proven right compared to being challenged and proven wrong.

But I also said that Hodgson pobably never have had such a talented squad before at his disposal so hopefully he will surprise me, I still have this hope because with the players we have there are no real reason why we cant play entertaining and attacking football while we also keep it tight at the back.

Its too early to reach any conclusion whatsoever, but the coming weeks and months will give us good indications on whats to come.

It depends what your looking for in a manager:

If you want your manager to give you a shot at winning the league or the Champions League then Roy is not your man.

If you want the manager to: not rock the boat with the owners, gradually reduce expectations, sign more British players, come 6th-12th in the league, lick Mr Ferguson's bottom, then Roy is your man.

Someone asked the question earlier about "would we feel the same if King Kenny was appointed" - I'll turn that around and ask you would you feel that someone like Allardyce/Brown/Curbishley should be "given time to prove themselves?

In what way would you expect Hodgson/Allardyce/Brown etc etc to change their management style simply because Two American Leeches gave them this position?

I don't understand this - you seem to be suggesting that his previous 30 year record is to be ignored and he should be allowed to start from scratch again?

I find that bizarre.

First of all, the only thing I'm suggesting is that he's given ample time to prove himself here. I'm not really a fan of Roy's, and if it were up to me I wouldn't have given him the job, but that doesn't mean that now he's here I won't give him a chance to prove me wrong. I'll judge him on how he performs as manager for Liverpool Football Club, and as far as I'm concerned, he deserves at least a season (under decent owners) to show us what he can do. The same goes for any manager, regardless of whether I rate them or not. All those who came before him have had the same luxury (and all came to the club when we were in a much more stable condition). We're meant to get behind our team, aren't we?

Hodgson's achieved much more than Brown or Allardyce, so it's grossly unfair and disrespectful to lump him in with those other two. He may not have won the toughest leagues in the world, but he's still won multiple league titles in his career, and what he did at Fulham was nothing short of a miracle. Plus he's highly respected in the game, both by other players and managers, which gives you some indication of his reputation in the game. I'd expect someone with his experience and intelligence to change his management style from his previous job because he has a much better squad (and a better coaching/medical set up, better facilities etc) to choose from his time at Fulham, so can afford to be more adventurous with his style of play, his ambitions for the side.

He wasn't my first choice (that would have been Pellegrini out of the realistic/rumoured candidates, however realistic it was in reality I don't know!). However I wasn't exactly horrified with the appointment either (underwhelmed maybe), and he deserves at least a season to make his mark. It almost goes without saying that the major problem lies elsewhere.

I'm sort of in between option two & three.

I didn't want him here and the boards motives in appointing him are questionable to say the least, but he's still Liverpool manager and I want us to win every game.

My heart wants him to do well because he's here now.

My head tells me it'll all end in tears.

PS. I am thick if that helps.

I'm sort of in between option two & three.

I didn't want him here and the boards motives in appointing him are questionable to say the least. but he's still Liverpool manager and I want us to win every game.

My heart wants him to do well because he's here now.

My head tells me it'll all end in tears.

PS. I am thick if that helps.

I think it's a fair enough answer and probably one shared by many.

Can't really answer the poll as there's not really the option I want.

"I'd like to see him succeed, but realise there's not much chance of that happening with the club in its current state."

Even last year, I was of the opinion Benitez wasn't the only factor in the team's on-pitch demise. A lot of players were at fault for a lot of bad things last year but, as always in football, the easiest solution was to get rid of the manager. I guess the most disappointing aspect of these first few weeks is that we've not really seen the 'upswing' that you see when a new manager first takes the reins. This makes me think it wasn't simply the Benitez issue, just like it's not really a Hodgson issue. I did expect a few of the top players, who we'd been led to believe (and whose performances suggested) that they'd lost faith in Benitez, to have started the season a little better. Maybe they will in the coming weeks - I hope so, but I fear not. The club is in a malaise - from top to bottom. Has been for a while now, but it really started in my opinion during last season's pre-season. I feel sorry for Hodgson; while he may have only got the job due to the club's current circumstances, it's those same circumstances which will hinder him from giving it his best shot.