You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy M

Which option is closest to your thinking on Roy?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. Which option is closest to your thinking on Roy?

• I like Roy and I would like to see him given time to succeed.
    • Not my first choice, but he's here and I'd like to see him given time before I make a judgement.
    • He may/may not have been the right choice, but from what I've seen I've got no faith in him.
    • I don't want him here, and I want him sacked before any more damage is done.

He never won a trophy with a team of galacticos and only 1 rival team to beat.

Thats how.

So being given this random collection of players and been asked to mould them into a side and being able to pick up 96 points whilst scoring over 100 league goals constitutes failure these days?

Fuckin' arlarse times we live in!

There's a lot of talk about 'We're not Fulham'. Let's just analyse that one a little bit. Yes, Fulham have not been a team you would bet on away from home but having said that which teams play with a positive attitude away from home, even the bigger teams play counter attacking football away from their own patch. When we beat United 4-1 at Old Prawnford how many of our goals started in our own half, the Torres that tormented Vidic that afternoon is not about at the moment as is the confidence required to play in that style. I think we were poor and luckyagainst Birmingham (yes schocking against City also) but we might look back at that as a decent result on paper in time (Fulham would have lost).

When Hodgson took over Fulham in 2007 they were dead and buried and I'm assuming they lacked confidence because they lost 7 of their next 8 league games and went out of the FA cup to Bristol Rovers. Should they have sacked him then. Possibly not. Hodgson went on the make a great escape taking a dead team to safety winning 4 of their last 5 games.

Next season the team that should have been in the championship ended up finishing 7th and qualifying for Europe, the year afterwards they put in the performance of the year beating Juventus 4-1, also beating Wolfsburg (Bundesliga champions), Hamburg and Shaktar (holders) and losing narrowly (if poorly) to Atletico Madrid in the final.

He was given time after a dreadful start and they reaped the benefit, not sure I remember a lot of money being spent either.

After 8 games (albeit uninspiring to say the least), we've lost once and some people are ready to cash their chips in and presumably chase someone like Pellegrini (untested in the premiership).

I think the answer is simple,

1-we get new owners, money and presumably the cloud over Torres (and eventually Gerrard and Reina also) is lifted. If we don't improve I'll change my vote.

2-We don't get new owners, the doomesday scenario, Fulham willl be a richer club than us in those circumstances, they'll be buying our players off us. In those circumstances I'm not sure who I'll want to manage us then because we'll be in territory we've not been in for 50 years.

Edited by Cherry Ghost
mistake

There's a lot of talk about 'We're not Fulham'. Let's just analyse that one a little bit. Yes, Fulham have not been a team you would bet on away from home but having said that which teams play with a positive attitude away from home, even the bigger teams play counter attacking football away from their own patch. When we beat United 4-1 at Old Prawnford how many of our goals started in our own half, the Torres that tormented Vidic that afternoon is not about at the moment as is the confidence required to play in that style. I think we were poor and luckyagainst Birmingham (yes schocking against City also) but we might look back at that as a decent result on paper in time (Fulham would have lost).

When Hodgson took over Fulham in 2007 they were dead and buried and I'm assuming they lacked confidence because they lost 7 of their next 8 league games and went out of the FA cup to Bristol Rovers. Should they have sacked him then. Possibly not. Hodgson went on the make a great escape taking a dead team to safety winning 4 of their last 5 games.

Next season the team that should have been in the championship ended up finishing 7th and qualifying for Europe, the year afterwards they put in the performance of the year beating Juventus 4-1, also beating Wolfsburg (Bundesliga champions), Hamburg and Shaktar (holders) and losing narrowly (if poorly) to Atletico Madrid in the final.

He was given time after a dreadful start and they reaped the benefit, not sure I remember a lot of money being spent either.

After 8 games (albeit uninspiring to say the least), we've lost once and some people are ready to cash their chips in and presumably chase someone like Pellegrini (untested in the premiership).

I think the answer is simple,

1-we get new owners, money and presumably the cloud over Torres (and eventually Gerrard and Reina also) is lifted. If we don't improve I'll change my vote.

2-We don't get new owners, the doomesday scenario, Fulham willl be a richer club than us in those circumstances, they'll be buying our players off us. In those circumstances I'm not sure who I'll want to manage us then because we'll be in territory we've not been in for 50 years.

Does my head in the bold bit, if your a good manager your a good manager, end of.

It looks to me, given his age and the short term contract (is it 2 or 3 years?) that he's an interim manager. When new owners come in, with the kind of plans that would make them invest in the club, I expect Roy would step aside and maybe throw his hat into the ring for the England job. In the meantime, as he has said many times, it's less about ambition and more about preservation. It's a job that needs to be done and he is well qualified to do it and he's a realist. But it's not going to make the fans happy. In the same vein, I wonder if Purslow will be here a year from now.

Thats how.

The one rival team that happen to be arguably the greatest team to ever play the game. That rival team?

How about getting a club in Spain comparable in size to a team like oh I don't know Fulham say, and consistently qualifying for the Champions League and in one season finishing second.

Does that make him a better option than Roy Hodgson?

Some pathetic comments about a LIVERPOOL manager half a dozen games into the job.

Forget the two bastards that own us for one second and listen to yourselves, you sound like Soccer AM watchers. Too many trying to score points with things that are in the past. We all know he was not our first choice but what is the alternative ? Hopefully those parasites will go and maybe, just maybe we will get decent owners and Hodgson can go from there. If he does'nt hack it then so be it, time will tell. Rafa's time was up , said so himself, any manager coming in was on a hiding to nothing, ofcourse this is a top job, second to none, but I still admire him for taking it on.

There's a lot of talk about 'We're not Fulham'. Let's just analyse that one a little bit. I think we were poor and luckyagainst Birmingham (yes schocking against City also) but we might look back at that as a decent result on paper in time (Fulham would have lost).

You're wasting your time tbh. It takes 4 games for people to judge a new coach these days. When other clubs fans do it, we laugh at them. When we do it, it's passing the buck time.

Of the 4 games we've played with a brand new coach, with no transfer budget, and a formation he, like I hate, we've got results in 3 games, and won all our European games. We've stopped Arsenal's 100% record, we've got a decent draw in Birmingham, we had a difficult start, with players not fit playing, our most useful signing out for 3 and a half of those league games. We've got a return of just 1 point less than at the same point last year, and are just 2 points behind 4th, despite the squad problems involved.

If you look at it coldly, we've done ok. It's about time some people realised that.

Thats how.

I`d love a 96 points failure myself, thats actually around 40 points more than Hodgson has ever achieved in a season.

To get those extra 30-40 points Hodgson will have to change his approach, let there be no doubt about it.

The question is, will he be able to do it?

So being given this random collection of players and been asked to mould them into a side and being able to pick up 96 points whilst scoring over 100 league goals constitutes failure these days?

Fuckin' arlarse times we live in!

Yes,thats a failure by Real Madrid standards,no trophies equals adios!

Its similar to us finishing 2nd under Rafa with record points and loads of goals,but we didnt win anything and thats the way it works these days.

At least Rafa got more time to improve where pellegrini didnt.

I`d love a 96 points failure myself, thats actually around 40 points more than Hodgson has ever achieved in a season.

To get those extra 30-40 points Hodgson will have to change his approach, let there be no doubt about it.

The question is, will he be able to do it?

How's he going to do that when he hasn't got anywhere close to that total in his entire career?

I'm off to find a genie in a bottle.

Hodgson was not what I wanted, but that is because I wanted a manger worthy of Liverpool's past. Sad reality Hodgson if about the best we can do with Liverpools present.

So far he's done ok- retained Torres and Gerrard, brought in some good signings in Meireles and Cole and some that might work out in Konchesky and Poulson. So far has a decent points haul (no worse than last year), but pretty dire football. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now- if we are still playing rubbish at Christmas will re-evaluate.

Those who try to support Roy Hodgson by rubbishing the alternatives miss the point entirely.

The reason Roy Hodgson will be a complete and utter failure at this club is the Houllier style of play he is adopting worse to watch than Rafa.

If you look how McLeish and Pellegrini teams play you know that we wouldnt be in a worse situation than we are now and actually might enjoy watching some good football. The same goes for someone like Ian Holloway.

King Kenny aluded to this in his recent comments regarding Hodgson style of play.

Those who try to support Roy Hodgson by rubbishing the alternatives miss the point entirely.

The reason Roy Hodgson will be a complete and utter failure at this club is the Houllier style of play he is adopting worse to watch than Rafa.

If you look how McLeish and Pellegrini teams play you know that we wouldnt be in a worse situation than we are now and actually might enjoy watching some good football. The same goes for someone like Ian Holloway.

King Kenny aluded to this in his recent comments regarding Hodgson style of play.

Hodgson has been in charge for half a dozen games or so. The team will still be adjusting to his style of play. If we are still playing poorly at Christmas, you may have a point. Until then, you're are jumping the gun in my view.

edit: Was Houllier a failure in your view? What would represent success do you think?