You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy M

Which option is closest to your thinking on Roy?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. Which option is closest to your thinking on Roy?

• I like Roy and I would like to see him given time to succeed.
    • Not my first choice, but he's here and I'd like to see him given time before I make a judgement.
    • He may/may not have been the right choice, but from what I've seen I've got no faith in him.
    • I don't want him here, and I want him sacked before any more damage is done.

We'll see at the end of the season then, won't we?

Or were you expecting one single result in Roy's first game in charge that would see us better the whole of last season in one go?

I think there are other indicators than results that it would be fair to use - such as the way the team is set up, the expectation of the manager at places like Birmingham, the formations used, the substitutions made in order to change things that are clearly wrong.

If you're suggesting we have to wait for our final league position before we judge the team - I certainly don't agree.

For all the people who aren't willing to give him a chance, don't you think it would be nice to at least give him one match where he has the use of the players he brought in over the summer? Or, heaven forbid, a couple of matches.

Split the difference, give him one and a half games. If it's not working out by half-time in the second game then a decision needs to be made.

he should've played Mereiles from the start against Brum - but other than that he doing most things right

tho why Agger is not preferred over Skrtle is a mystery to me tbh

and Jovanovic should never play on the 'wing' again

this isn't really Roy's fault though as the squad is full of shite - which he has at least been trying to address (with the little money he raised through sales)

I think some of you are confusing, reservations with unwillingness to wait.

Would you rather we ended up in say 9th in February and then we all stated how much we all knew that we would end up 9th in February and it was obvious from the start.

Or would you rather we said from the off what our worries were and were honest about our doubts over Roy's appointment? And then, understand why what we are seeing on the pitch as present (the only tangible argument) is simply what we thought would happen.

Big Roy will come good, I'm telling you.

He's lying low at the moment, mid table, out of the lime light, biding his time whilst all the 'clever' people on pundit sofas write him off and declare their seasons predictions.

Then ever so slowly he starts orchastrating a mid - late season onslaught, climbing up the table gradually, putting together a run of 8 - 10 league wins on the bounce whilst other teams are distracted with the Champions league.

He'll get top four will Roy, mark my words.

Markmywords.

I think some of you are confusing, reservations with unwillingness to wait.

Would you rather we ended up in say 9th in February and then we all stated how much we all knew that we would end up 9th in February and it was obvious from the start.

Or would you rather we said from the off what our worries were and were honest about our doubts over Roy's appointment? And then, understand why what we are seeing on the pitch as present (the only tangible argument) is simply what we thought would happen.

Look at the title of the thread though, that isn't reservations, that is not having reservations.

Big Roy will come good, I'm telling you.

He's lying low at the moment, mid table, out of the lime light, biding his time whilst all the 'clever' people on pundit sofas write him off and declare their seasons predictions.

Then ever so slowly he starts orchastrating a mid - late season onslaught, climbing up the table gradually, putting together a run of 8 - 10 league wins on the bounce whilst other teams are distracted with the Champions league.

He'll get top four will Roy, mark my words.

Markmywords.

8/10.

I wouldn't hire a player who has nothing but mediocrity to point at during his career as a Liverpool player.

I'm not dismissing him as not good enough without seeing what he can do - I'm looking at his record over the last 30 years in management. It seems convenient that people simply dismiss his previous 30 years as not being relevant - why?

And you don't think his previous 30 years is enough time for him to have "proven" himself?

Nobody is dismissing his previous 30 years in management. Frankly, I don't know enough about his early management career because I was born a good ten years later than his career as a manager started. I can only go of what I've seen and read, and I was impressed by his time at Fulham and what he achieved there. Under normal circumstances I'd be looking for a manager who has been winning things recently, but we'd probably struggle to attract anyone like that with the current ownership situation.

He's won multiple league titles and domestic cups in Sweden and Denmark and twice got to a UEFA Cup final. As well as doing really well with the Swiss national team. As far as I can tell, the only really poor job he's done was at Blackburn. Still, I too think it's a bit underwhelming, as he's not achieved much of note at a big club.

Countless times last year I was told "It's Liverpool FC not Benitez FC" - does that not apply now?

Fair enough, you want him to succeed, you want to give him time to succeed - and in the normal run of events I'd agree with you and allow that leeway to the manager but this is far from "Normal" at our club at the moment and it's so very obvious to me at least that this appointment has nothing to do with what's best for the club now or in the long term.

I applaude your willingness to give him time, I just don't see anyting in his past that lets ME believe that he has anything out of the ordinary in his locker that would allow him to succeed TO OUR STANDARDS!

Does it apply to what? It's always Liverpool FC.

So you don't want him to succeed here? So what do you think this appointment is? If you're not willing to give him time, and want him gone now, then who do you think will replace him that can do a better job?

I'm going to stop talking about with you here unless you bring up different points, as we're just going round in circles.

Edited by Woo

The love-child of Jose Mourinho and Slur Alex wouldn't win the Premiership with our squad.

Just to play along, would the love child of Ferguson and Mourinho have our squad?

There are a lot of variables to take into consideration so its a bit easy to use that line as an justification for anything.

The one thing I think is fair to give some consideration though especially since its been brought up from several different people from several different positions is that Hodgson needs to come to grip with the fact this is Liverpool and not Fulham, I`m not sure he has done that myself and one of my main worries is if he ever will be able to take that step up in his approach and thinking.

Nobody is dismissing his previous 30 years in management. Frankly, I don't know enough about his early management career because I was born a good ten years later than his career as a manager started. I can only go of what I've seen and read, and I was impressed by his time at Fulham and what he achieved there.

What did he achieve at Fulham? Got to a European cup final - would you accept that from the manager of Liverpool football club for us?

Under normal circumstances I'd be looking for a manager who has been winning things recently, but we'd probably struggle to attract anyone like that with the current ownership situation.

He's won multiple league titles and domestic cups in Sweden and Denmark and twice got to a UEFA Cup final. As well as doing really well with the Swiss national team. As far as I can tell, the only really poor job he's done was at Blackburn. Still, I too think it's a bit underwhelming, as he's not achieved much of note at a big club.

So what - other than a massive push by the media - qualifies him for the position of Manager of Liverpool FC (The most successful club ever, in English football)?

So you don't want him to succeed here? So what do you think this appointment is? If you're not willing to give him time, and want him gone now, then who do you think will replace him that can do a better job?

Kenny Dalglish.

Look at the title of the thread though, that isn't reservations, that is not having reservations.

He also pointed out that he was embarrassed by thinking like that, as am I!

I believe that you need to give the manager at least three years, but I have always based that on believing in the managers to start with, when you are suddenly faced with one that you do not think is an appropriate appointment, you start doubting whether or not that is the correct attitude.

The fact that for the first time in the last 50 years we have appointed a manager from the same league is intself slightly different, and for the first time in my lifetime and probably yours a manager has been appointed with a preconceived opinion.

What did he achieve at Fulham? Got to a European cup final - would you accept that from the manager of Liverpool football club for us?

So what - other than a massive push by the media - qualifies him for the position of Manager of Liverpool FC (The most successful club ever, in English football)?

I've said on several occasions on this thread that Roy was far from my first choice. Certainly don't think he's anywhere near as bad as you're making him out to be.

He took Fulham from the cusp of relegation (they were definitely in serious danger of being relegated before he took over) to a seventh place finish the season after, and then on to a Europa League final last season. All of this with a small, limited squad and a shoestring budget.

Like I said, under normal circumstances I doubt he'd have really been considered for the job, but I can see why he's been given it, as he demonstrated qualities that the board were obviously pleased with, mainly the fact that he can get the best out of the players at his disposal, can work on a limited budget, and primarily, he's a football man and will focus on the team. He's won plenty of trophies throughout his career (albeit in lesser leagues), and has plenty of experience both here and abroad.

Kenny Dalglish.

Fair enough, and I would have preferred Kenny to have been given the job, too.

Anyway, like I said, that's enough for me. This isn't really going anywhere.

I didnt want roy in the first place and from what I have seen from him I still dont.People keep saying hes saying the right things but so what it is what happens on the pitch that matters.

The performances so far are looking worse then last season including arsenal where we were dominated in the first half and just defended the second half.Roy said when he came here that we were organised for a long time and we need something else but he seems to be using the same tactics but more defensive.

Getting a shitter version of rafa was never going to work,we needed someone with different ideas, pellegrini would have been perfect.

Roy is out of his depth and i cant see him being here next season, there are a few better managers then him in the prem, even everton have a better one, he needs to go as soon as ownership situation is sorted.

I just can't comprehend how rational, reasonable people are trying to make assumptions and predictions in mid September, especially given the difficult start we've had, and the fact that it's a World Cup year.

Your central argument fails - the fact is that the board made "assumptions and predictions" about the effect he would have on the club immediately and throughout the rest of the season. They even gave him a lucrative three year contract. They were advised that he was unlikely to do well in footballing terms - but they were not hiring him for footballing reasons just as they were not trying to force Rafa out for footballing reasons.

They calculated that the supporters would give Hodgson a chance for about a year - enough time for them to do their funny business.

Supporters should not be hoodwinked by these obvious ploys.

"Far from my first choice & I've yet to see anything to prove me wrong" seems to be the new way of justifying not giving the man a chance.

It doesn't matter if he was your first choice or not, all that does is he's the manager of LFC and deserves a fair shot, without our own fans looking to pick holes in every little thing he does.

Who needs enemies, eh?

I didnt want roy in the first place and from what I have seen from him I still dont.People keep saying hes saying the right things but so what it is what happens on the pitch that matters.

The performances so far are looking worse then last season including arsenal where we were dominated in the first half and just defended the second half.Roy said when he came here that we were organised for a long time and we need something else but he seems to be using the same tactics but more defensive.

Getting a shitter version of rafa was never going to work,we needed someone with different ideas, pellegrini would have been perfect.

Roy is out of his depth and i cant see him being here next season, there are a few better managers then him in the prem, even everton have a better one, he needs to go as soon as ownership situation is sorted.

This Pelligrini whose only success was in Chile and Argentina?

Manuel Pellegrini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doesnt sound any more successful than Roy.

He failed at Real madrid too.

Whoever was gonna be our manager this season was always gonna find it proper difficult to achieve much given the owners we still have in place.

Whether Hodgson is the right man for the job or not doesn't come into whether you felt he was good enough or he was your first choice. What he does here at this club determines whether or not he is good enough for this role. This we wont know until a fair deal later that we currently are into his reign.