You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Glen Johnson..

escapepods

simply must be played on the right wing. Its actually beginning to annoy me now that a manager cannot see him in this role! Going forward he is immense. He is quick, tricky and direct, and his crossing is better than Kuyt's or Maxi's. Its an absolute no-brainer. We need someone to go by fullbacks, Kuyt and Rodriguez simply do not. If we played Johnson on the right wing, with Martin Kelly OR Carra (the odd game) at right back, it would offer a more balanced, more attacking and yet more solid right side of the pitch. Surely it needs to be tried at least

Not for me. He’s good going forward when he’s got the space to run at. It’s different in midfield.

What Johnson needs, apart from a boot up the arse, is to play in a quick attacking team that keeps possession. The way we’ve generally played last season and so far this is sitting really deep, inviting pressure on the defence and with no fluency going forward.

He’s not very good defensively one on one so this way of playing has highlighted the weakness in his game, but if the opposition were more worried about us going forward and we generally had them penned in their own half he’d be a good weapon at right back.

He is not immense going forward- he does ok as a fullback coming forward.

There is a massive difference on coming on overlap at high speed with face towards goal and being the winger being the one that is marked. His touch and control does not give me a lot of confidence that he would be a good winger.

Would like to see him given more licence to come forward- but would be better to play e.g. Cole on the right coming inside and have Johnson play higher up. In this case left back must be more defensive and left midfield stay wide so we don't cramp the area in the middle completely.

Johnson is an absolute shadow of the player he was a year ago. To me, he looks like he's actually put on weight and is carrying too much. And his hair is fuckin shit too.

Yes. It's bewildering. It's not as if he's bad all game, but he seems to lose his concentration about once every few minutes. He'll do some good things and then seem to go into a daze. And that bloody hair! If I see him fiddle with that braid on the side of his head that keeps falling out in front of his eye, I will scream. Carra ought to get him in an arm lock and shave the whole lot off! And Kelly should take over at least until Johnson remembers he's here to play football for 90 minutes.

gkmacca in a nutshell. I don't think he's a bad defender per say, on average Skrtel is far worse, but almost every game he has periods where he completely shuts off.

The lack of pace in front of him is a huge issue. I'd love to glimpse Johnson right mid. and Kelly right back whilst Kuyts out.

I would definitely consider using him there at the moment because he is direct and has more pace than the other options. One of our biggest problems at the moment is our lack of width and he could help with that. Plus Kelly already seems to be better than him defensively anyway.

The back end of the 08/09 when we played with confidence and flair is where Johnson would have dropped nicely into the team. Last season he started with the euthusiasm and form from previous club a new player brings but soon settled into the nervous, indecisive play we now come to expect from a LFC defender.

You'll see the best of him when, as a team we are playing well. We this will be is anybodies guess.

I think it's slightly bizarre the amount of criticism the lad is coming in for.

Was he great yesterday? No. Was he any worse than anyone else? I'd have to say no to that too. Yet people seem to want to hang all our defensive frailties on him. Odd behaviour.

I thought he was our worst player. It wasn't so much that he played shite though. it was his lack of effort.

Massive loss was Bob. Don't think it could be avoided though.

Nah he obviously wanted to go home but we were rightly screwed over his transfer fee & his replacements for that matter. Both are around £8m players for me.

Give me Arby any day though. Call me old fashioned but I like a full back to defend first and foremost and if he can get forward, great.

Even yesterday, when he didn't exactly cover himself in glory, he continually got himself into good positions down the right side. It's inconsistent (or consistently poor, like yesterday) delivery that is frustrating. That and his seeming inability to learn from defensive errors like always getting caught underneath the ball when crosses come into his area of the field.

To be fair to him, we aren't playing to his strengths - he's got much to prove, becuase there is a good player in there.

But when we are basically setup to invite other teams to attack, he's not going to have a great game.

I am still amazed how much we haven't changed as a team since Roy took over - what has he got to lose (apart from his job of course) why not just go more attacking? We've got the tools to attack, and if we are attacking there's less need to be defending!