You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How can I be optimistic after that?

WrongIslander

How do you think it'll go next weekend? A draw? A win? A loss? I think if we play like we did today, we'll get tonked.

Will Roy rest Gerrard and Torres in the Europa for this one?

I think we'll play a lot better than we did today. We'll have a stronger team out too. I'm not sure we'll win, but I'm fairly confident we won't lose.

I'm not sure he'll rest anyone in the Europa.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does mean something though doesn't it? If he is not aware of that then he shouldnt be our manager really, the role requires it. He's out of his depth and too scared to come out and set any expectations they should go without saying though here. Rafa had to go, I'm fine with that, he didn't win the league, a CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 5 years ago was not enough and had worn too thin. Thats cos we are LFC, not Bohemians.

My prediction: Dandruff is going to become a massive feature of this season.

Why the hell, given every single fan has been screaming for the league for the past 20 years did we appoint someone who is terminally shit in the league because he won a UEFA fucking cup?

Anyway I don't know why you are that worried, you seem confident he will be a roaring success and prove us all wrong.

He didn't win the UEFA cup, just reached the final.

That's why he was appointed, he got a shit team to punch above it's weight for a year and a bit, like Allardyce, Mclaren, was media flavour of the month. Seeing as we're very media run these days (man marking, Gerrard in CM, Roy Hodgson for manager) this appointment made sense.

He'll do as he's told and kick up no fuss. Wants a striker, told the Masch money isn't there anymore, instead of telling it how it is, he'll say things like "The market was too narrow etc etc."

He's English.

That wouldn't have got into the top 50 of Rafa's worst performances. And you couldn't be more wrong about that claptrap 'behind closed doors' theory Johnny. I know that as a fact.

No you don't. That's my point. I wonder if when sitting at home in the quiet that do certain players wonder if Hodgson is a capable manager. There is certainly questions when you look at his past, and so I don't think it's a huge leap for World Cup winning players to wonder.

We looked devoid of ideas and out there and we didn't look interested. Barring 1 half against Arsenal (when even then Arsenal had a number of great chances) we have looked like that in all competitive games. Under a new manager we should have seen a boost, we've seen nothing. I'm worried.

For me, yes it wasn't sexy , we again did not create much and this can be frustrating but its very early days here.

Anyone who expected us to get off to a flier with a new manager is clearly a bit deluded, add to the fact that our first 4 games have not been easy by any stretch, except perhaps home to west brom, we were never going to have 4 wins out of 4 or even 3 out of 4.

Even if we had the previous manager in id have realistically hoped for perhaps 2 wins by now at most.

People need to get more realistic with regards to expectations. We will not win the league of course , sad but true, we WILL struggle to finish in the Top 4. We would of struggled even with Rafa still here and the likes of Mascherano.

Unfortunately the reality is until we get the ownership fiasco sorted and the Yanks out we will not challenge for the league let alone 4th.

That , in a huge way , is not down to Roy, he is in a very difficult situation. He wants to do the best for the club but with his hands so tied its very difficult.

There is no shame at coming away with a point from a ground that we havent won on in 3 seasons and against a team who have not lost at home for a long time.

We couldnt beat them with Rafa and so it remains we cant with Roy. Under the circumstances it could be a lot worse

No you don't. That's my point. I wonder if when sitting at home in the quiet that do certain players wonder if Hodgson is a capable manager. There is certainly questions when you look at his past, and so I don't think it's a huge leap for World Cup winning players to wonder.

We looked devoid of ideas and out there and we didn't look interested. Barring 1 half against Arsenal (when even then Arsenal had a number of great chances) we have looked like that in all competitive games. Under a new manager we should have seen a boost, we've seen nothing. I'm worried.

Why would say Torres be concerned Johnny?

I mean he must have been told when the Grand Plan was outlined to him in the Summer that he would be wasting another year of his peak standing around scratching his balls, feeding off scraps whilst watching Lucas fall over, get in the way and lose possession. Why would he even question that we have appointed a Manager who has won the sum total of fuck all outside of the Spitsbergen Narwhal League Premier Division, that no investment at all has been put into the playing side yet again and that the best Midfielder at the club has fucked off and that the performances are getting worse?

You fucking scaremongering cunt you.

There is no chance that Torres would want to leave here at the next available opportunity, none at all.

Quite easily actually.

We're no worse off than we were under Rafa, in fact we're a hell of a lot better off if you look at it honestly but don't let that stop some of you wanting him sacked already.

Konchesky was the best outfield player today and could really be a very good left back for us if today is any indication. Look at the abuse he received though when he was first linked with us. I wasn't too thrilled myself but I was however willing to give him a chance.

Cole hasn't been given a chance yet so it's unfair to judge him or Roy and he's at least the kind of creative player we need.

Meireles is a quality player and in 15 minutes completely changed the way we played. Roy didn't want to rush him in and given he knows more about his condition. Right player though and will more than likely again be money well spent.

As Roy himself said it's just a question of treading water at the moment. Today wasn't near good enough but there's no doubt in my mind we will improve.

I've got this mad idea for all the knee jerks on here. Breathe, give it a few months and then START to judge him.

'Kinell, one thread slagging Roy off, one making out he's better than Rafa.

We've not seen anything yet to say Roy is going to be better than Rafa, indeed, I thought we were lucky not to lose by 2 goals today. However, its far to early to be nailing any colours to any masts. It may turn out in time Rafa was a genuis, but it may turn out he hoodwinked us and indeed, Roy is the new messiah.

Either way its only a few games into the season, we dont know. Roy deserves a chance to get his ideas across and build a team, so lets give him that, agreed, but equally, dont make out its some superb start to the season that justifies his position, as its not and we were awful today, as we were at City in a way that I havent seen for a long, long time.

I see the tribalism hasnt changed here.

That wouldn't have got into the top 50 of Rafa's worst performances. And you couldn't be more wrong about that claptrap 'behind closed doors' theory Johnny. I know that as a fact.

I agree bout the last bit, I think Roy is highly regarded by the players.

In terms of that performance, can you remember a game where Pepe made 4 superb saves for us under Rafa ? I genuinely cant.

I can remember dull games, boring games, games, where we didnt attack much, but we were always tight , even in games like wigan, where we lost through the odd goal, but Brum today annihilated us, we showed nothing and gave them opportunities all over the place.

In terms of that performance, can you remember a game where Pepe made 4 superb saves for us under Rafa ? I genuinely cant.

I can remember dull games, boring games, games, where we didnt attack much, but we were always tight , even in games like wigan, where we lost through the odd goal, but Brum today annihilated us, we showed nothing and gave them opportunities all over the place.

Everton at Goodison last season is an easy example.

What score was it again? What was the score when we played these in the 6 previous league games? I can't remember a game where Reina had made such a lot of good saves, but I can remember plenty of games we were battered in terms of chances created. I could understand all the hysteria if:

1. we'd been beaten.

2. we had all our best players playing.

3. the manager has had time to organise his team and get them familiar with his approach.

4. we didn't have new players in the team who are having to come to terms with new teammates.

but as none of the points above apply, I don't understand it.

The reason Hodgson can't inject that 'new manager feel' is because there's the same general malaise hanging over the club due to the ownership issue. Normally when you appoint someone he brings his own players in, ships a few old ones out, and the ones who are behind him start putting a shift in.

At the moment, everyone, the fans - the manager, the top players, are waiting to see what happens to see if we can get some kind of cash injection. That's why Torres has been shite IMO, he's here under sufference now, and that will only change if and when he sees some kind of progress off the pitch.

I never wanted Rafa gone just because I somehow expected him to win the league, but because he showed an inability to learn from his mistakes and had spent what money he did get on shite.

The players who got the biggest slating on here after the match were Jovanovic and Johnson (who I rate, but would like to see played as a winger), they're both Rafa signings, as was Aqulani, who is rated so low that the new boss would rather have the Danish Neil Lennon in the side than keep him around (after losing Masch at the last minute, agian, not the new man's fault). Between Johnson and Aquilani That's nearly £40m worth of player right there.

What score was it again? What was the score when we played these in the 6 previous league games? I can't remember a game where Reina had made such a lot of good saves, but I can remember plenty of games we were battered in terms of chances created. I could understand all the hysteria if:

1. we'd been beaten.

2. we had all our best players playing.

3. the manager has had time to organise his team and get them familiar with his approach.

4. we didn't have new players in the team who are having to come to terms with new teammates.

but as none of the points above apply, I don't understand it.

Hysteria against Roy and the performance ? Oh I quite agree, its nuts.

I dont think Roys done anything wrong so far, given he's had all of 5 minutes to achieve anything. He's here, whatever the circumstance, he deserves our full support.

I am worried by the Citeh and todays games, I am worried Carras legs have gone, I am worried that Gerrard and Torres have forgotten how to play together, that Xabi and Masch have moved on without being properly replaced, concerned that from redesigning 4th as the new first under Ged and then Rafa, were now looking to find the gloss in the top 6 and europa league, but, as far a I can tell, none of those concerns are down to Roys actions and its a rell pisser to find so much hysteria and angst aimed at Roy already.

Quite easily actually.

We're no worse off than we were under Rafa, in fact we're a hell of a lot better off if you look at it honestly but don't let that stop some of you wanting him sacked already.

At best we're equal. I see it as we've downgraded in general for each position over the summer.

Konchesky was the best outfield player today and could really be a very good left back for us if today is any indication. Look at the abuse he received though when he was first linked with us. I wasn't too thrilled myself but I was however willing to give him a chance.

I think that says more about the rest of the squad than Paul. He was solid, but if he's consistently like that hd won't be good enough for us.

Meireles is a quality player and in 15 minutes completely changed the way we played. Roy didn't want to rush him in and given he knows more about his condition. Right player though and will more than likely again be money well spent.

As was said as a stick to beat Rafa with: if he's fit enough to play, start him.

That's our 7th consectuve draw against Birmingham, which means the last three seasons have been the same as today. So if you've ever been optimistic at any time in the last three seasons, what's changed?

Being totally outplayed. No ambition, no ideas and acceptance of the performance by the manager.

Usually we can point to a few weaknesses. In this game, it seemed all over the place apart from in goal.

Keep it real man, we dont reserve the right to be top 4, we have to earn it, early days, managers 4th league game, ownership far more important right now.

Yep, of course you're right, it's too early, and we've bigger battles to face than what goes on, on the pitch.

The man doesn't instill much confidence in me, and coming out (for the second week now), with feeble excuses, and being happy and relieved, it doesn't bode well.

Yep, it's early days................I'll hold my breath

Why would say Torres be concerned Johnny?

I mean he must have been told when the Grand Plan was outlined to him in the Summer that he would be wasting another year of his peak standing around scratching his balls, feeding off scraps whilst watching Lucas fall over, get in the way and lose possession. Why would he even question that we have appointed a Manager who has won the sum total of fuck all outside of the Spitsbergen Narwhal League Premier Division, that no investment at all has been put into the playing side yet again and that the best Midfielder at the club has fucked off and that the performances are getting worse?

You fucking scaremongering cunt you.

There is no chance that Torres would want to leave here at the next available opportunity, none at all.

For the very first time today I looked at Torres at the end of the game and I felt sorry for him and hoped he gets a move next summer to a team he deserves to play for. That all went through my mind in the space of less then a second, and then I hauled myself back in and thought fuck that we need to keep him forever. But just the fact I had that thought shows my opinion on where we are now.

As an aside it was good to see we were all over teh place at corners today but no one ie blaming man for man marking!

Fuck this:

"It was a good performance from Birmingham and I’m not too disappointed with our performance either. We kept to our task well. It’s early days for me and there’s a lot of new players coming into the team trying to come to terms with what is being asked of them."

Fuck this even more:

“My expectations were not that high anyway. It would have been disappointing to lose but I’m not that disappointed to draw.”

Well that's a shocker, that the worst away manager in PL history is happy with a 0-0 draw away from home.

That match is high up on my list of uninspirational games the last 25 years.

And the worst part, you could see it coming

Not far away from H.G.G.O.I's quote after we drew 2-2 with Hull: "If you can't win, then it's important not to lose."

. ...I don't understand it.

No you don't.

As for saying you know for a fact that Hodgson is well liked by the players etc - you are full of bullshit. You have no first-hand knowledge of anybody at the club. You never met Rafa and spent two years sneering at him and can't stop yourself even after he has gone.