You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How can I be optimistic after that?

WrongIslander

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were shite against Fulham. You use the excuse about squad being at breaking point for our loss to Reading, maybe Fulham a much smaller club with less resources had the same issue to contend with as they had played in Germany on the Thursday night in their Europa run. It goes both ways. To be honest I came out of the ground thinking apart from a few moments they didn't have to break sweat to get a point.

Wigan did beat Chelsea. Bad day at the office for Chelsea as they won the title didn't they. It wasn't in isolation for us exactly was it? Arsenal also finished way above us in the end as well.

I don't think a congested fixture list should matter playing a lower half at the time Championship side personally but there you go. Maybe once you can accept it but they outplayed us over 210 minutes and were unlucky to win in the first game.

You not willing to accept our failings from last season is more or less the same thing you are accusing me of. One major difference though. Roy has had four games. F - O - U - R.

If we had Torres against Fulham, our chances of finding a goal or two would have been vastly increased. But they had 8 men in their box at least at all times. We couldn't break them down, when we did, Schwarzer pulled off some excellent saves. If we went to Craven Cottage and stuck 10 men behind the ball, we wouldn't have to break a sweat to get a draw. Like against Brum, that's probably Roy's gameplan.

Shows Wigan are more than capable of beating top sides. They beat better sides than us.

You don't think a congested fixture list and injuries affect a teams performance? Give over.

I more than accept our failings from last season, it was horrific. What I don't accept, is the club bombarding out a top class manager of six years service, after one poor season, then bringing in a far, far inferior replacement, then fans affording Roy excuses that couldn't be afforded for Rafa last season.

Listen, tell me it's four games all you want, I'll tell you that our current manager has achieved fuck all in a career spanning well over 20 years. Read that back again, that tells me we're in more than a spot of bother. Rafa's tactics were baffling, but 4-4-2 away to Man City!? Lucas and Poulsen at home to WBA, away to Trabsponzor and away to Brum!? Fuck me.

Near enough everything I've predicted about Hodgson to date from the moment he was confirmed has followed. I predict we won't generally improve much more over the course of the season.

If we had Torres against Fulham, our chances of finding a goal or two would have been vastly increased. But they had 8 men in their box at least at all times. We couldn't break them down, when we did, Schwarzer pulled off some excellent saves. If we went to Craven Cottage and stuck 10 men behind the ball, we wouldn't have to break a sweat to get a draw. Like against Brum, that's probably Roy's gameplan.

Shows Wigan are more than capable of beating top sides. They beat better sides than us.

You don't think a congested fixture list and injuries affect a teams performance? Give over.

I more than accept our failings from last season, it was horrific. What I don't accept, is the club bombarding out a top class manager of six years service, after one poor season, then bringing in a far, far inferior replacement, then fans affording Roy excuses that couldn't be afforded for Rafa last season.

Listen, tell me it's four games all you want, I'll tell you that our current manager has achieved fuck all in a career spanning well over 20 years. Read that back again, that tells me we're in more than a spot of bother. Rafa's tactics were baffling, but 4-4-2 away to Man City!? Lucas and Poulsen at home to WBA, away to Trabsponzor and away to Brum!? Fuck me.

Near enough everything I've predicted about Hodgson to date from the moment he was confirmed has followed. I predict we won't generally improve much more over the course of the season.

Regarding your last paragraph, as long as you want to be wrong then that is fair enough. i get the impression you don't want to be though.

I still can't accept that you don't think we should be beating READING without Gerrard and Torres though? In fact didn't Torres play in the first game which kind of weakens your argument regarding that even further.

Regarding your last paragraph, as long as you want to be wrong then that is fair enough. i get the impression you don't want to be though.

I still can't accept that you don't think we should be beating READING without Gerrard and Torres though? In fact didn't Torres play in the first game which kind of weakens your argument regarding that even further.

Oh, we should have beaten them. We were fucking diabolical. It was painful to watch, I wanted Rafa out that night. But rationally thinking afterwards, I realised no-one near his calibre would touch this job with a 10 foot barge pole. If only a lot of our fans and ex-players had thought of that as well. I'm sure Cecil and co knew what they were doing from the off.

As for my last paragraph, I'm not wrong, we have glaring issues. One aerially dominant centre back who the manager doesn't rate. No width whatsoever, no service into the box. All in all, a poor defence with the exception of Agger. A manager who's tactically naive at this level, and is out of his depth.

This season, will be worse than last.

Saturday 05 December 2009 - Barclays Premier League

Blackburn 0 Liverpool FC 0

Sunday 13 December 2009 - Barclays Premier League

Liverpool FC 1 Arsenal 2

Wednesday 16 December 2009 - Barclays Premier League

Liverpool FC 2 Wigan 1

Saturday 19 December 2009 - Barclays Premier League

Portsmouth 2 Liverpool FC 0

We had one good half in those games, ironically v Arsenal like we have had this season.

The problem with holes

Oh, we should have beaten them. We were fucking diabolical. It was painful to watch, I wanted Rafa out that night. But rationally thinking afterwards, I realised no-one near his calibre would touch this job with a 10 foot barge pole. If only a lot of our fans and ex-players had thought of that as well. I'm sure Cecil and co knew what they were doing from the off.

As for my last paragraph, I'm not wrong, we have glaring issues. One aerially dominant centre back who the manager doesn't rate. No width whatsoever, no service into the box. All in all, a poor defence with the exception of Agger. A manager who's tactically naive at this level, and is out of his depth.

This season, will be worse than last.

You can't beat optimism.

You asked for 4 successive league games where we were as bad as we have been this season.....

Well here is your spade

Just watch the full 90 minutes of all 8 matches, on the other hand you dont deserve that.

Just look at the stats

We played much better football in those games and got more goals and more shots on target.

Id retire gracefully and pick a battle you can win

Well here is your spade

Just watch the full 90 minutes of all 8 matches, on the other hand you dont deserve that.

Just look at the stats

We played much better football in those games and got more goals and more shots on target.

Id retire gracefully and pick a battle you can win

Touche Nicholas.

You can talk about detail of the games but the fact is we've had three appalling seasons in 50 years and last year was one of them (add in Houllier and Evans in98/9 and Souness in 93/4). If you remember it's our job to get behind the team and raise them up because as sure as eggs is eggs the heads have gone down again (regardless of tactics and management attitude is poor) and this dark cloud which has haunted our club too long is taking its toll. It wasn't there for the Arsenal game and you saw some spirit, time for the twelfth man.

The fact that the season is only a couple of games in. The fact that we have a new manager and new players, that need time to get to know how eachother work and need time to incorporate what exactly the new manager wants from them.

I sat there yesterday with my arl fella watching the match, regardless of the fact that we were awful, he never once came out with the same knee jerk reaction as you. I'd just like to point out that my Dad has watched us lift four European Cups and countless league titles.

Its cringeworthy some peoples posts at the moment that are writing us off.

Throwing the towel in, no matter how tough things are, are not characteristics that are associated with us.

Maybe Roy realised how much the fans all still loved Rafa and thus he's trying to do things the way Rafa did them? You know, playing Lucas + a DM, waxing lyrical about Dirk Kuyt, dismissing Aquilani's possibilities, isolating Torres, not trusting our flair players for anything more than a cameo appearance, if that, et cetera, et cetera.

Not really working for him though.

The fact that the season is only a couple of games in. The fact that we have a new manager and new players, that need time to get to know how eachother work and need time to incorporate what exactly the new manager wants from them.

I sat there yesterday with my arl fella watching the match, regardless of the fact that we were awful, he never once came out with the same knee jerk reaction as you. I'd just like to point out that my Dad has watched us lift four European Cups and countless league titles.

Throwing the towel in, no matter how tough things are, are not characteristics that are associated with us.

You think I'm knee-jerking over 24 hours on, by repeating what I said back in early August?

Football is entertainment though, and football they saw.

That's how Rafa's teams play. Slow build up, possession based. Fuck off I'm deluded, I was in the Kop for that game, you probably weren't. Sorry if we didn't smash it 50 yards up the pitch every time we had the ball. We attacked and attacked, Schwarzer was in great form that day, there was no way we were getting past that Fulham defence. They had nothing in the way of an attack.

Wigan are easily a superior side to WBA.

The old "football is entertainment" line. :whatever: Unfortunately, it's been a while since our fans saw anything approaching entertainment. We've won 1 game away in the league since January, and haven't scored in the first half of a league game for 5 months.

If Wigan are easily superior to the Brommies, why the fuck did they lose 4 goals at home to Blackpool then? They're not exactly newbies to the EPL.

As for the Fulham feud, we have no right to complain about other teams parking the bus, as we've done it for (most of) the past 2 years at home and away. Sometimes we ourselves, can't muster A shot on target. Fulham went into that game, and got what they came for. As they did the year before as well. Good luck to them.

When we dispense with that head-wrecking ingrained 1 man upfront formation, we will make progress. Without it, there'll be plenty more times when we struggle to get a shot on target, never mind in the net. You never know, we might even be entertaining for a change.

You can talk about detail of the games but the fact is we've had three appalling seasons in 50 years and last year was one of them (add in Houllier and Evans in98/9 and Souness in 93/4). If you remember it's our job to get behind the team and raise them up because as sure as eggs is eggs the heads have gone down again (regardless of tactics and management attitude is poor) and this dark cloud which has haunted our club too long is taking its toll. It wasn't there for the Arsenal game and you saw some spirit, time for the twelfth man.

The thing is, young Royston is not exactly instilling a lot of belief in the fans, if he talks to the squad in provate in the same manner he is at press conferences, then it is very little wonder the squad appear demoralised. I hope to fuck he's acting in the way he is to try and take the pressure of the players, and in provate he is a lot more upbeat about what they can do, but if he is carrying this insipid attitude into the training ground and changing room, then we truly are fucked.

Whilst the above is hypothetical, his sycophantic behavious towards shitty arse up the 62 must be stopped, I couldn't give a fuck how friendly they are, but to appear so submissive towards any other manager especially that cunt is most definitely not the liverpool way. Shanks, Paisley, Fagan etc would have had respect for a fellow manager of a big club, as there was for busby, catterick, revie.... but not this bowing down to Slur that is so endemic within the league these days.... the manager of LFC should never see another clubs manager as being his superior.

If he sorts this shit out, and Cole & Meireles help to make the team a bit more adventurous then it could be an interesting season, but if he is shitting out and the team don't begin to pick up a bit of guile and cunning, last season will begin to feel like some kind of halcyon period.

Just as well you weren't trying to convince me - because what you said was shite. Dennis tooth said:

Like I said just as well I couldn't give a fuck what you think

You replied:

No mention of his first post at all in your reply. YOU brought money into the equation - not him.

Here's the thing Sherlock my reply was attached to his post so I would assume people would know I was referring to it

Like I said, try to stick to a single argument and stop moving the goalposts. That way you may be able to convince someone of your argument.

You see I think Dennis got what I was aiming at you didn't so I guess I'll be gutted.

The thing is, young Royston is not exactly instilling a lot of belief in the fans, if he talks to the squad in provate in the same manner he is at press conferences, then it is very little wonder the squad appear demoralised. I hope to fuck he's acting in the way he is to try and take the pressure of the players, and in provate he is a lot more upbeat about what they can do, but if he is carrying this insipid attitude into the training ground and changing room, then we truly are fucked.

Whilst the above is hypothetical, his sycophantic behavious towards shitty arse up the 62 must be stopped, I couldn't give a fuck how friendly they are, but to appear so submissive towards any other manager especially that cunt is most definitely not the liverpool way. Shanks, Paisley, Fagan etc would have had respect for a fellow manager of a big club, as there was for busby, catterick, revie.... but not this bowing down to Slur that is so endemic within the league these days.... the manager of LFC should never see another clubs manager as being his superior.

If he sorts this shit out, and Cole & Meireles help to make the team a bit more adventurous then it could be an interesting season, but if he is shitting out and the team don't begin to pick up a bit of guile and cunning, last season will begin to feel like some kind of halcyon period.

This is spot on