You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How can I be optimistic after that?

WrongIslander

The bar has been lowered because he left a poor squad that finished 7th. That was mostly on his shoulders.

People aren't even giving Roy a chance and the funny thing is most of the things they are using to criticise him with (after 4 games) could be said about Rafa (after 6 years)

A poor squad that (minus one player) finished 2nd the year before. Some manager they must have had that year then!

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bar has been lowered because he left a poor squad that finished 7th. That was mostly on his shoulders.

That's strange, because last year the argument was that he'd underachieved with the squad at his disposal, that he'd 'lost' the dressing room, and that the players were not motivated. When Roy was appointed we had many predictions of that we were nailed on for the top four. So when people start lowering expectations it's only natural that others question why they are doing so.

I think it's pretty tragic that there are people out there who have no time for Hodgson purely out of spite for the fans who thought it was time for Rafa to go, only weeks into the new season and it's Rafa this and Rafa-fucking-that. And it's clear a minority will actively delight in seeing him fail for that very reason. It's unbelieveably smalltime, not what Liverpool fans should be about.

Our raison d'etre at the moment is to simply survive and stay as close to the top of the table for as long as we can until the ownership situation is sorted. For now that's the most anyone can hope for.

Couldn't agree more. Unfortunately Roy is not the man to achieve even that.

What do you expect from a manager who won only three away PL games in the last two years? He is doing exactly what he always does. Those who talk about treading water and it getting better are delusional. He has a 34 year record to judge by.

In addition to that he spends a lot of time talking about club politics (not very astutely), he is self-contradictory, changing his opinions as events change them for him, he spends a lot of his media time positioning himself, personally, is quite garrulous and during a match looks a bit like a deer staring into oncoming headlights.

He fas far less experience of LFC and knows far less about the club than any supporter I know. Therefore I object to his stream of judgements. He should shut his mouth and try to learn. Above all he should remember he is in the position he is because the owners and their agents want a patsy.

Ha-ha, that's just blatantly untrue! Not one shot at goal for 90 minutes, how on earth is it possible to defend that, even for the most vocal anti-Rafa-talibans out there? Perhaps Rafa had 10 performances worse than that, but add this to the City debacle (which would easily slot into Rafa's top 3 worst games), and there's a reason why people are being pessimistic.

PS! I fully expect Carra and Gerrard to have wanted Hodgson, as they seem to be a bit swayed towards what the English media and public write/say at any given time. Don't think Torres would have been super-happy, Pepe I reckon was too professional to have any qualms about the last manager, and will support this one too. Mascherano wasn't too happy with the appointment I would guess:whistle:

It is true. You obviously didn't see many of the dozens of piss poor performances over the last 5 or 6 years - that's fine. And as for Mascherano, he's got absolutely fuck all to do with anything, so I don't know why you're trying to use him to beat Hodgson around the head.

Well given that you are a reasonable chap you will appreciate that the man hasn't had a chance to organise the team, bed the new players in, let alone play his first choice team yet. I don't think you can judge a manager until he's had at least a season under his belt.

The fact that nothing seems to have improved in the slightest is what bothers me. The football is still dire, the defending is still shambolic, the midfield is still practically comatose. So what exactly has changed?

I agree that a manager should be given atleast a season before we as fans can judge his performance, but for those of us who were underwhelmed by his appointment and were looking for positives to allay our concerns, it's been pretty grim so far.

That's how I feel anyway.

Guest ShoePiss
Well given that you are a reasonable chap you will appreciate that the man hasn't had a chance to organise the team, bed the new players in, let alone play his first choice team yet. I don't think you can judge a manager until he's had at least a season under his belt.

Of course.

A season is fine, we'd have to be really shit for me to want a manager sacked half way through a season.

The difficult thing is how hindered he is though, it's going to be hard to judge him fairly when his hands are tied behind his back. It was the same for Rafa and was partly why I didn't want him gone. There's a direct link between the lack of money available and the performances on the pitch. Simple as that.

The fact that nothing seems to have improved in the slightest is what bothers me. The football is still dire, the defending is still shambolic, the midfield is still practically comatose. So what exactly has changed?

I agree that a manager should be given atleast a season before we as fans can judge his performance, but for those of us who were underwhelmed by his appointment and were looking for positives to allay our concerns, it's been pretty grim so far.

That's how I feel anyway.

you have to let him get his team on the pitch first. It hasn't been anything like great, but I'm convinced it hasn't got worse. I believe we'll be miles better over the course of this season than we were last season - he hasn't had a great deal of time with these players yet, they've been away on International duty a lot of the time. We'll definitely improve.

It is true. You obviously didn't see many of the dozens of piss poor performances over the last 5 or 6 years - that's fine. And as for Mascherano, he's got absolutely fuck all to do with anything, so I don't know why you're trying to use him to beat Hodgson around the head.

I've seen every Liverpool performance over the last 10 years, so that's not it. Problem is people like you were so tired of Rafa that you looked only for negatives. I don't disagree that there were plenty of bad performances from Rafa during his tenure here, but I can't really remember us producing that little bar 1 or 2 games.

The Mascherano comment was only a bit of a joke, I really don't think what Gerrard, Carra or Torres say should have anything to do with who's appointed manager, as they have time and time again shown that their heads will drop no matter who they play for (Carra to a lesser extent...). Now Pepe on the other hand...

Only thing I dont like about Roy? he doesnt change things quick enough when the game is crying out for a change.

Well at least he makes positive changes, either like-for-like or gambling. The last coach's subs ranged from the baffling to the bizarre, and usually well before they had to be made.

But of course, the Istanbul substitution makes up for them, doesn't it?? :whatever:

Edited by mypost

you have to let him get his team on the pitch first. It hasn't been anything like great, but I'm convinced it hasn't got worse. I believe we'll be miles better over the course of this season than we were last season - he hasn't had a great deal of time with these players yet, they've been away on International duty a lot of the time. We'll definitely improve.

Lets hope so stringy.

One thing (well obviously there are lots) for me that is disappointing is the lack of a psychological boost to the squad the appointment has made. The way the previous regime was described, especially on here I expected to see a squad of happy players, working hard for each other and playing like a cloud had lifted.

Just hasn't happened.

And don't forget the media campaign from Carrahger, Gerrard and Purslow about the new buzz at Melwood, how everyone seems happier and looks forward to training etc. etc.

It was a pathetic attempt to justify all the back-stabbing they did against Rafa.

Said the same thing about 3 minutes before you. Nearly every team that has a change of manager gets this to some extent. Not seen anything like it from us so far.

Rafa and Houllier didn't originally.....

Some of the earlier performances in their tenure were shocking. Particularly away from home. To their credit they got it right as time went on though before it all went wrong again.

Edited by Juan Galonso

A poor squad that (minus one player) finished 2nd the year before. Some manager they must have had that year then!

Minus one player? Arbeloa is a much superior full back then Johnson. Alonso went and wasn't replaced. Also a few players haven't aged well and have declined since then. Mascherano also fucked off since.

I'm not so sure. I would have backed Rafa to better the 7th place and Europa League semi though.... By the way, I'm not calling for Roy's head or anything, and I definitely don't want us to lose any games, I just don't see that things are going to get much better, neither results- or stylewise. As someone said, we've appointed an inferior copy of Rafa, that can't bode well...

On the face of it, a draw at Birmingham is no disaster. But the two massively worrying things from today and the season so far to me are:

-But for Pepe we'd have been 3-0 down by HT

-It took us 46minutes to have a shot. We create absolutely nothing, and haven't done all season. Fuck all.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit worried. But it's too early to judge Roy so he will still get my full support as always.

Minus one player? Arbeloa is a much superior full back then Johnson. Alonso went and wasn't replaced. Also a few players haven't aged well and have declined since then. Mascherano also fucked off since.

All three players wanted to leave, so I'm not sure why that's an excuse for Roy but not for Rafa?

Isn't a new manager supposed to inject at least a short term initial boost? This clown can't even manage that.

Indeed, his away record in this country is a disgrace, some of his tactics so far are ridiculous, the use of subs, the signings, you're meant to get encouragement from the early days of a new manager not the opposite.

His quote today of ""My expectations were not that high anyway." is absolutely disgusting.

He isn't. He didn't play well today, but he's a tidy player who can retain possession - something we can't do when he's not playing that position.

Well we are going to have to agree to disagree, but I didn't mean to single him out. We are fuckin dire going forward and there are plenty others that arent good enough either.

But I think we will improve as the season goes on.