You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How do you like your Steak cooked?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like your Steak cooked?

Try it. You won't look back.

Buy some and cook it at home with some fried onions or mushrooms, thin cut chips and some rocket. And a bottle of red. Food of the gods

Ade, don't do any of these things.

Fucking rocket?

Follow my steak recipe -

Buy some steak.

Don't cook it for very long.

Eat it.

Follow my steak recipe -

Buy some steak.

Don't cook it for very long.

Eat it.

Reminds me of a friend who, finding himself in a discussion about the most effective aphrodisiacs with a bunch of pretentious tossers, suggested that he always found a naked woman did the trick for him.

To my shame I've never actually had a quality steak anyway. Think the closest I've had that could be considered "not shit" would be at a weatherspoons.

Still, don't think I could have one not well-done. Even if someone else was paying.

That's the worst thing i've ever heard.

Fucking rocket?

It wilts fabulously in all those meaty juices.

On the resting thing I don't like to rest it too long because I like it hot.

And never mustard or any of that kind of thing.....let the meat speak for itself

I'm a big fan of what is sometimes referred to as "Chicago Style" or "Black and Blue" or sometimes "Pittsburgh Style".

The classic way of doing this is the middle is blue or rare and late in the cooking stage the very outside is seared or blackened.

Makes for a nice textural experience, combined with a little charred flavour.

Medium Rare with the margin of error being that it's rare rather than medium.

When preparing steaks myself I usually blacken them with herbs and spices (paprika, cayenne, rosemary, black pepper, and garlic salt to be exact). The result being initial heat (in terms of spicy food) followed by the flavor of the meat itself overtaking that.

Also found I prefer grass-fed beef to corn-fed having finally gotten around to trying it.

Does anyone here let their steaks rest for 5 minutes or so after cooking them? I've done it but find I prefer to eat it as soon as possible after it comes off the grill.

Always let it rest. It doesn't need to be for 5 minutes, half the cooking time will do and serve on a hot plate.

Didn't use a hot plate when I did it, will give that a go. Thanks.

How does one actually cook a blue steak? Just sear the outside and take it off the fire?

Yeah, you need a really hot fire or your burner on high and the pan smokin- bout a minute a side.

Carpaccio can be done with a slighlty frozen piece of meat in the same way.

I have to be honest here and say I have no fuckin clue what you are talking about when you say blue steak?

What is that exactly?

Blue seems to be a British/American thing from back in the day when every steak was massively over-cooked and essentially means rare in every normal civilised part do the world.

Presume that this has been said before, but if you have voted for anything cooked more than medium rare the you shouldn't be allowed any beef better than braising steak