You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ged on his way to Villa

gkmacca

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Villa fan:

gutted.

Totally gutted. Look forward to far duller football than O'Neill ever served, propped up by a bunch of dodgy eastern european signings. This is the man who paid £11m for Heskey!

This is up there with the news we signed Harewood, Djemba Djemba and Heskey as abosolute shockers. For us to be a top 6 Prem club, one of the top 3 leagues in the world, and this is the best we can do?

Frankly Lerner couldn't sell a bucket of ice cold water to a man on fire if this is the best he could interest. I hope he does well, but frankly, I'd rather a risk was taken on someone English, upcoming, and we developed the theme O'Neill had started.

Totally gutted with this.

Haha.

Houllier won more in a year than O'Neill has, ever.

That's a fucking good point that. Good luck to Ged, except in the obvious games. He fell short of the standard we aspire to, and made a bit of a mess with Robbie. But I've never doubted his genuine love and affection for the club and the city.

IGOR, IGOR, what a signing.

Still have to pinch yourself to realise this lad has a CL winners medal (along with Traore, Carson, Nunez and Josemi)

Houllier's oddest signing, people were fighting for him. £6m for a brick shithouse of a midfielder with no unique skills or speed, great game against United then they realised this hulking carthorse was actually a better centre half which should have been obvious.

Having said this my favourite Houllier signing was 'Mad' Erik Meijer on the basis that god loves a trier and this was his main feature

Houllier won more in a year than O'Neill has, ever.

The appointment of Houllier means this is the first time in their history they have appointed such a decorated manager.

It is a good appointment for them especially if he has the right people around him ie coaches etc they wont get sexy football but O'Neil never gave them that either.

I actually want him to better want O'Neil done but that could mean them finishing above us. Some of their previous managers include Gregaory, O'Leary ad Brian Little so I would say this is a coo for them. Maybe 6th again for their mob.

I think Houllier will do well there. As he proved in his first 3 or 4 seasons at us, he can build a club and move it on a level or 2. I think he'll win a trophy at Villa, which will give him hero status. If he achieves a trophy and maybe atleast get's them challenging again for 4th then he'll have done a good job. They shouldn't expect any more than that. Good luck to him.

Villa fans think they are the biggest club in the world and they deserve a top top manager. Deluded gobshites.

Doesn't every fan believe that about their team, though? It's not so long ago that some beauts on here (and elsewhere to be fair) were declaring Mourinho our next manager... Reality checks required all round, I think.

Ged has replaced one of the 'untouchables' of English football, I think he is going to get hammered!

Conversely, Roy has replaced one of the 'villains' of English football, so I think he'll get a lot more slack.

I think he will do well. He would have learnt from his previous mistakes at Liverpool and if Lerner gives him some money, he could sign a few quality players like he did for us.

The Villa fans who oppose this are idiots, they should be grateful they managed to bring in a manager of his stature.