You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ged on his way to Villa

gkmacca

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to laugh at the deluded Villa fans thinking they can do better. Obviously things went tits up with us but he started very well and when he left he went on to win the French league twice. I think he'll do okay with them but I don't see the finishing anywhere other than 6th-8th, no matter who is in charge.

Got to laugh at the deluded Villa fans thinking they can do better. Obviously things went tits up with us but he started very well and when he left he went on to win the French league twice. I think he'll do okay with them but I don't see the finishing anywhere other than 6th-8th, no matter who is in charge.

In fairness they were probably no more deluded than us in the summer. Even if Cecil didn't have his heart set on Hodgson from the beginning, the only decent manager we attracted was Pellegrini.

The Villa fans going mad at him saying this:

"I had, of course, other proposals but this one seemed to be the most interesting in terms of working conditions and environment.

"Aston Villa is not a club on the same level as Liverpool, let's be objective and honest.

"It's a club that according to me has belonged between seventh and 12th place in the Premier League.

"But, above all, it's a historic club which has won the European Cup.

"It's a club which has got good infrastructure and a fine team which is after one thing - to improve year on year."

Haha Well in Ged!

I just wish he would take Carragher with him. Maybe he could get Owen on a free and persuade Gerrard with a big fat contract. All he would need then for the return of the scouse Mafia would be Murphy. Houllier could try to recapture his LFC glory days of kick and rush. And if that failed they could have a whale of a time whining to each other about how Rafa never appreciated them.

In his interviews-conferences Houllier has out-done Hodgson in setting himself up for mediocrity and failure. His scouse mafia would have a whale of time telling each other how Rafa never appreciated them.

He said he liked the job because the owners persuaded him of their ambitions and were honest and nice etc. The point is did he persuade them of his ambitions and did he convince them he is honest and nice?

He emphasised that Aston Villa wanted "gradual" improvement - thereby giving himself a licence for about 3-5 years before he gets sacked for failing to improve them.

Apart from what he said about how inferior AV were to LFC he never mentioned any of their players or achievements or any other substantive reasons why AV were a good club except to say they were in the European League and therefore must have good players. Villa do have a substantial history and its too bad Houllier couldn't bother to do some research on it before signing a lucrative three year contract.

It sounds to be like its his retirement project - his last big pay day. When he looks back on his career his big boast will still be that it was really him, not Rafa, who won the Champions League with LFC.

“After Rafa Benitez left this summer, one of the players sent me a message,” Houllier tells me. “He said, Boss, he hasn't beaten you.'”

Regardless of your views on Houllier, Benitez or Hodgson that kind of petty comment - of which Ged has made a few - is classless in the extreme.

He'll be a lot better off with Patrice alongside him.

Patrice turned him down. That's three potential assistants gone already. And he's still not sure when he'll actually arrive at Villa. It's sounding more and more peculiar. The local press around Villa are far, far, worse than anything Ged experienced at Liverpool, and the fans will give him about three games if he's lucky.