You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ged on his way to Villa

gkmacca

Oh shit, I'll keep my mouth shut and check my facts better, I can give you chapter and verse from my first game in 1968 through to 1989 and also 96 to present but for some reason that's like my dark ages, I think its because I had my first kid around then and didn't sleep for 6 years. I knew I shouldn't have bigged up Souness

No worries mate, they were pretty bleak years.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fowler, (researched facts)

93/4 18 in 34

94/5 31 in 57

95/6 36 in 53

96/7 31 in 44

97/8 13 in 28

98/9 18 in 35

99/00 3 in 14

00/01 17 in 48

01/02 4 in 17

Leeds

12 in 23

2 in 10

City

2 in 13

10 in 41

11 in 32

4 in 5

Liverpool

5 in 16

7 in 23

Cardiff

6 in 16

Blackburn

0 in 6

Australia

11 in 31

Make of it what you will, goals aren't everything but in Robbie's case they were important, It was one of the saddest things going to see him decline and fantastic when he came back, never has one player had so much goodwill.

Good luck to Houllier. He is a true football man who loves the game. He's got a few bob and he could easily spend his days with a cushy UEFA job leaving him plenty of time to kick back and enjoy a nice glass of wine.

He has lots of contacts and a much better knowledge of the European game than MON. He will probably bring in a couple of decent signings that wouldn't have been on the Villa radar. It will all amount to Villa approximately treading water around the UEFA spots, and they may win the Carling Cup in the next couple of years.

He won't be bad for them, but he won't be getting them into the CL any time soon either.

good move for villa,i mean the man is a good manager...he never quite reached the bar with us,but either did benitez and if rafa was going to villa it would be a completely different kettle of fish (and before all the 'in rafa we trust' start...thanks for number 5)...villa should watch out for mediocre french footballers being bought,oh wait rafa done that too didnt he???? :whistle::whistle:

good move for villa,i mean the man is a good manager...he never quite reached the bar with us,but either did benitez and if rafa was going to villa it would be a completely different kettle of fish (and before all the 'in rafa we trust' start...thanks for number 5)...villa should watch out for mediocre french footballers being bought,oh wait rafa done that too didnt he???? :whistle::whistle:

How many mediocre French footballers has Rara brought? As both managers transfer record is debatable at best (and you hear from Rafa supporter), quality of Spanish lads landed by Benitez can't be put into question. Let's face it - overwhelming majority of players from Ligue 1 signed by Ged was average dross. Rafa signed quality Spaniard most times and the likes of Josemi, Barragan or Nunes can't overshadow that, what's more, they haven't spent much time here and overall we haven't lost a single penny on their fees. Reina, Xabi Alonso, Torres who doubles his goal per minutes tally in last three years comparing to Atletico days, Riera (he was so-so for a long time here) and Arbeloa, who became Spanish national team squad members under Rafa.

What strikes me is your one-sided vision - sure, Rafa has only maniacs and blind followers, who don't stand any critical view on him. Rafa is very divisive and I bet around half would approve his move to Villa and around half wouldn't recommend him. But apart from blind followers there are also short-sighted slaters, who can't see many dimensions of Rafa and hope you're not one of them.

Guest ian garro
If you want to blame anybody for Robbie Fowlers demise then look no further than Roy Evans and McMannaman.

Evans had him taking injections week in week out, on the same ankle that eventually fucked him up, and McMannaman had him living the lifestyle of a naturally skinny twat, who never puts on weight and needs a couple of days to get back to full fitness.

So, Robbie never had any say in that then did he - with Stevie, I mean ? They were both professional footballers, they were both adults. Both knew their limits. One played by those rules, the other one didnt. One shyed away from any kind of controversy and media spotlight, one didnt. One left here to play for Real Madrid, and one 2 European Cups, one didnt.

There's no coincidence there. Blaming MacManaman for the state Robbie got himself into, is ludicrous. Robbie was caning it for a while, and it caught up with him. Even when he was out injured, he made no effort to look after himself. He hasn't really got anyone else to blame. He was past his best when he was sold and £11m was a good price. It would have been a better move if we had actually replaced him with anyone decent though.

I still love the fella like, but don't lets paint him as some led-astray saint here. A saint he most certainly was not.

So, Robbie never had any say in that then did he - with Stevie, I mean ? They were both professional footballers, they were both adults. Both knew their limits. One played by those rules, the other one didnt. One shyed away from any kind of controversy and media spotlight, one didnt. One left here to play for Real Madrid, and one 2 European Cups, one didnt.

There's no coincidence there. Blaming MacManaman for the state Robbie got himself into, is ludicrous. Robbie was caning it for a while, and it caught up with him. Even when he was out injured, he made no effort to look after himself. He hasn't really got anyone else to blame. He was past his best when he was sold and £11m was a good price. It would have been a better move if we had actually replaced him with anyone decent though.

I still love the fella like, but don't lets paint him as some led-astray saint here. A saint he most certainly was not.

I like this

Yep, that's pretty much I how so I see it.

It seems Houllier has had to be given the dreaded vote of confidence from the board at Villa even before he has been appointed to the job. It appears his reputation as a coniving, manipulative manager who plays favourites, makes bad purchases and produces boring football, has preceded him. How pathetic for a club to have to beg fans to give an incoming manager a chance!

Aston Villa director asks fans to get behind Gerard Houllier - Barclays Premier League - ESPN Soccernet

Souness was poor, Evans was better but ran out steam, Houllier was better again but ran out of steam, Rafa was better again but had a poor year last year for all sorts of reasons.

We seem like a club that's been trying to get back up on the pedestal (I would not use the word perch) for 20 years and each time a new manager has got within ever closer touching distance the failure to reach has finished them off. (96/7, 00/01, 08/09)

No pressure Roy.

p.s. still think Litmanen should have played more, paying £1 to watch him in the reserves was not only a bargain it was criminal, he was playing 3 levels above the rest of the team..