You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ged on his way to Villa

gkmacca

I used to feel a certain degree of residual warmth towards Ged, but that interview a few months ago in which he sneered at Roy Evans, and Benitez, drained much of that away. Yesterday he appeared a bit creepy when interviewed, so I was a bit surprised how positive Gerrard and Carra were about him - yes, he was good with them early on but they surely experienced enough of his bad side to be a tad more ambivalent. The suggestion of him 'sharing' management with poor McDonald was chilling - surely everyone knows what Ged will do to THAT dynamic. Then there are the likes of Staunton, Friedel and Warnock, who can't have good memories of him.

Will he cope? I can imagine him organising things well and then fading away. Has he got a Plan B? We didn't see it.

Gerard Houllier lands job with Aston Villa: Ex-Liverpool boss set for sensational return to England | Mail Online

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a strange move. It doesn't really bother me apart from the suspicion he'll try to nick one or two of our players - or ex-players like Sami. But I want all teams around us to decline rapidly to give us a better chance during this horrendius period. Childish, I know, but a reorganised and a disciplined Villa would be a problem for a couple of years, and we can't afford any shifts in these dynamics.

As shite as he was at the end he's perfect for Villa. Moderate expectations, fans happy with mediocre football and a squad based on being tight at the back and explosive with counter attacking football.

I expect him to do very well there.

I'm not sure about that, mate- Villa fans have got to be up there with the most deluded in the League. I think he's walking into a pressure cooker, because I think they've hit a glass ceiling and I don't think they can go any further League wise. Even if they tread water he'll have done a sound job, but I'm not sure their fans will see it like that.

I'm not sure about that, mate- Villa fans have got to be up there with the most deluded in the League. I think he's walking into a pressure cooker, because I think they've hit a glass ceiling and I don't think they can go any further League wise. Even if they tread water he'll have done a sound job, but I'm not sure their fans will see it like that.

Maybe the rare few Villa fans I'm friendly with are more sensible, they still see each season finish mid table as acceptable.

For fuck sake just don't mention the name David O'Leary to them.

The interview yesterday was weird. He couldn't quite figure out if he wanted to sound like the man who still ruled Anfield, or the man who had moved on to higher things. His ego really is a problem. Hacks today kept saying he was 'tanned,' as if that was proof of good mental health. I don't want to see the man embarrassed, but his recent comments have also made me disinclined to see him do well. I'd rather he stay away.