You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This Is England '86

Faustus

Paul nails it again! Completely agree that it's fantastic to see great telly on our screens. C4 need a rep to for allowing it: Great telly (like the Wire, Sopranos etc). needs to be focussed yet unfettered by 'production values' to stand out. So much good stuff gets rinsed by producers wanting to produce 'drama-by-numbers' it's great to see something that has the courage of its convictions.

The last episode was stunning in every way. Rarely have I seen TV convey such raw beauty so simply, and terror so starkly. Meadows's directing was astonishing - who'd have thought watching Smell and Shaun having a knee-trembler in a pub toilet would be like watching fucking ballet?

You see, I completely forgot about that amidst the dramatic peaks on show elsewhere in the finale, but you're right - it was fucking boss; ditto the Woody & Milk in bed scene. And the dramatic contrast between the spur of the moment wedding arrangements and Lol's ordeal just took everything up a notch. It wasn't just a contrast in moods, it was a juxtaposition - and effortlessly handled. The more I think about it, the higher in my estimations Shane Meadows rises. Seriously, I think this was a work of genius.

You see, I completely forgot about that amidst the dramatic peaks on show elsewhere in the finale, but you're right - it was fucking boss; ditto the Woody & Milk in bed scene. And the dramatic contrast between the spur of the moment wedding arrangements and Lol's ordeal just took everything up a notch. It wasn't just a contrast in moods, it was a juxtaposition - and effortlessly handled. The more I think about it, the higher in my estimations Shane Meadows rises. Seriously, I think this was a work of genius.

Genius does get used a lot but for this piece of work I think Meadows can easily be called that. Your review above spot on as usual and like you say the more and more I think about the better it becomes.

The more I think about it, the higher in my estimations Shane Meadows rises. Seriously, I think this was a work of genius.

By moving into tv he's probably comparable to Alan Clarke (Scum, The Firm, Made in Britain, Elephant etc) and the social realist tv drama of the past. It would be great if he could juggle both film and television but I'd imagine he's a few films in the pipeline (think his next is a horror).

• 10 years later...
Just now, Dr Nowt said:

Be great if he did. I think he might feel the way it was left with Combo is more powerful hanging as it is than by revisiting it though. 

Yeah, really good ending.

Still want more though.

• Upvote 1

I looked up Vicky McClure who plays Lol as she looks familiar though it turns out she's not been in anything else that I've seen (not seen Line of Duty). Anyway, turns out she couldn't land an acting job for 4 years between Romeo Brass and This is England. Astonishing.

3 hours ago, Remmie said:

I looked up Vicky McClure who plays Lol as she looks familiar though it turns out she's not been in anything else that I've seen (not seen Line of Duty). Anyway, turns out she couldn't land an acting job for 4 years between Romeo Brass and This is England. Astonishing.

She has a rare version of tourettes which causes her to say 'mate' constantly. She's gone on to have a great career despite this disability. Very inspirational.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I was a pussy and fast forwarded through most of the rape scene. The inevitability of it was one of the brutal elements.

Did you catch what minute it started at, I could do with smashing one off?

• Upvote 3